The Student Room Group

Marrying from back home

I don’t like the concept of marrying a man from back home (South Asian background)
My reasons are:
- Upbringings are different
-language barriers
-scared that he will have a typical/backwards mindset
- He might use me for a nationality

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

then dont?? Unless im guessing you're getting a forced marriage which is sad

my uncles married from back home (somalia), but then again, they moved to the UK midway through their life so a lot of their norms were from somali at the time and plus, our family is pretty somali culture orientated. They've been married for like 10 year now and my aunts (aka uncles wives) have become more modern. They've learnt english and are probably more sophisticated than me lol and i was born here.

idk about the mindset and visa part lol, my family pretty much loves the backwards 'women go kitchen, men go work' mindset so i cant speak for that and about the visa, hm probably happened in my uncles case. I mean he married a distant relative so im assuming they all just did eachother favours, her marry him, he gets her a VISA. All in all it worked out i think

This didnt really answer your question but i like to share my personal experiences. We need more context to answer i guess. You could always marry a south asian from the U.K. if you HAVE to marry a south asian.
Why are you worrying about this? Is it something that is likely to happen?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t like the concept of marrying a man from back home (South Asian background)
My reasons are:
- Upbringings are different
-language barriers
-scared that he will have a typical/backwards mindset
- He might use me for a nationality

What should I do?

What is happening? Is what you have described happening to you at the moment?
I don't want to marry a Pakistani-born person (woman in my case), my parents are so restrictive but I will get what I want. This is your life, not your parent's... Language barriers, cultural differeces, inability to adapt to life in England, homesickness (is that even a word) are the reasons why I can't. Nothing against them personally though. My dad thinks there aren't enough Pakistanis in the UK to choose from even though I always see them out and about every single day. It's like he wants me to live the same boring life as him.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
then dont?? Unless im guessing you're getting a forced marriage which is sad

my uncles married from back home (somalia), but then again, they moved to the UK midway through their life so a lot of their norms were from somali at the time and plus, our family is pretty somali culture orientated. They've been married for like 10 year now and my aunts (aka uncles wives) have become more modern. They've learnt english and are probably more sophisticated than me lol and i was born here.

idk about the mindset and visa part lol, my family pretty much loves the backwards 'women go kitchen, men go work' mindset so i cant speak for that and about the visa, hm probably happened in my uncles case. I mean he married a distant relative so im assuming they all just did eachother favours, her marry him, he gets her a VISA. All in all it worked out i think

This didnt really answer your question but i like to share my personal experiences. We need more context to answer i guess. You could always marry a south asian from the U.K. if you HAVE to marry a south asian.

Thanks for sharing your experiences
I want to marry from here but I just cannot find anyone

Original post by Justaboutalive
Why are you worrying about this? Is it something that is likely to happen?

Original post by Kerzen
What is happening? Is what you have described happening to you at the moment?

It could be a possibility but I don’t want to get pressured to marry from back home.
Original post by urlocalinmate
I don't want to marry a Pakistani-born person (woman in my case), my parents are so restrictive but I will get what I want. This is your life, not your parent's... Language barriers, cultural differeces, inability to adapt to life in England, homesickness (is that even a word) are the reasons why I can't. Nothing against them personally though. My dad thinks there aren't enough Pakistanis in the UK to choose from even though I always see them out and about every single day. It's like he wants me to live the same boring life as him.

This is exactly the sort of thing I think about. I just cannot imagine the hassle and boredom with marrying a man from the homeland. I don’t get why parents don’t understand that UK born kids are not likely to get along or vibe with someone from a different country/language/mindset. Just gets me so annoyed.
Reply 6
Thanks for sharing your experiences
I want to marry from here but I just cannot find anyone

It could be a possibility but I don’t want to get pressured to marry from back home.

This is exactly the sort of thing I think about. I just cannot imagine the hassle and boredom with marrying a man from the homeland. I don’t get why parents don’t understand that UK born kids are not likely to get along or vibe with someone from a different country/language/mindset. Just gets me so annoyed.

There is help out there, if you should ever need it.

https://www.haloproject.org.uk/need-help-W21page-39

https://www.gov.uk/stop-forced-marriage

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/89325/forcedmarriagecard2.pdf
Reply 8
Just to be clear I am not getting forced.
I just have some reservations about the the cultural/language barriers etc
Reply 9
Yeah I’m aware

Was it from a south Asian background
I’m also Pakistani
Thank you for advice.
Hiiii. As a Pakistani even me as a teenager am seeing your conflict within yourself.
Honestly it depends on the person. Though I wouldn’t recommend marrying from back home, their mentality is usually different and their more traditional as well as they usually go towards the traditional route and soon you’ll be living with your mother and father In law taking care of them (unless you want to do that), but there’s defo more negatives, however not all of the men are like this but most I’ve seen are.
That is deceptive. Yeah I always have that niggling fear in the back of my mind that someone from back home might have the motive of only coming for a visa.
That is deceptive. Yeah I always have that niggling fear in the back of my mind that someone from back home might have the motive of only coming for a visa.

Not Pakistani myself but I would never marry someone from my home country because of course they will want to marry me for a visa and nothing else. Just don't do it.
Is it legal to not register a marriage?
Hiiii. As a Pakistani even me as a teenager am seeing your conflict within yourself.
Honestly it depends on the person. Though I wouldn’t recommend marrying from back home, their mentality is usually different and their more traditional as well as they usually go towards the traditional route and soon you’ll be living with your mother and father In law taking care of them (unless you want to do that), but there’s defo more negatives, however not all of the men are like this but most I’ve seen are.

Hi, I agree. Some are very cultural which I don’t really like
Yeh I wouldn’t recommend this, if y’all divorce after buying a house you won’t really get any possessions unless you ensure you put them under both of your names. :smile:
Yeh but, Pakistani men tend to think they are in charge of all and everything belongs to them. (JUST WHAT IVE SEEN IN MY LIFE, NOt trying to general is) Therefore they may only register themselves for properties or other possessions and so if they divorce then the house will only be his and she won’t have a part in it?
Hi, I agree. Some are very cultural which I don’t really like

Yeh, I would love to preserve my culture and feel a man from the United Kingdom won’t have the same interest in culture like one from bsck home ( I mean the clothes and food) like they may be too westernized. If you understand what I mean, so that’s another problem also
Oh, another thing I need to add is it is likely that someone from bsck home will expect you to care for their family and this may mean sending money back home (I wouldn’t want to do this especially with my money) but Just letting you know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending