The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Oceanography

Is anyone going to study Oceanography at Southampton uni this September?
Original post by Charlotte1303
Is anyone going to study Oceanography at Southampton uni this September?

Hi Charlotte!

I'm already at the uni studying oceanography! Have you put Southampton as your first choice? If you have any questions about the course of UoS life, please let me know!

Lottie :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi Charlotte!

I'm already at the uni studying oceanography! Have you put Southampton as your first choice? If you have any questions about the course of UoS life, please let me know!

Hi! Thanks for replying, yes Southampton is my top choice. what accommodation would you recommend for first year halls? I have heard that the lectures are at high fields but the practicals are at the Oceanography centre. is this correct?
Hi Charlotte,

I'm doing a PhD in Oceanography and sometimes I help demonstrating during practicals for undergrads. Those are always at the National Oceanography Centre (NOC) and I know they also take lectures there.

First year I stayed in Mayflower Hall since those are the closest to NOC and to city centre. If you need to go to Highfiled there's a bus route that goes directly from Mayflower Hall.

Hope this helps you.

Africa Gomez-Castillo
Hi! Thanks for replying, yes Southampton is my top choice. what accommodation would you recommend for first year halls? I have heard that the lectures are at high fields but the practicals are at the Oceanography centre. is this correct?

Hi Charlotte,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you! Africa is correct with a lot for our practicals and lectures being down at NOC, but it does differ each year depending on timetabling and lecture hall availability, for example in my first year all of my lectures were on the Highfield campus, and only my labs/practical sessions were down at NOC.

Accommodation I think, is a very personal thing. I chose to stay in Glen Eyre as its one of the larger more social halls complexes and I liked how much open green space was nearby... and the bbq pits onsite! Mayflower is probably a sensible option for a course like oceanography where you're on both campuses as it's situated directly between the two, but I found I didn't like the tower block nature of mayflower so chose not to live there. Although the bus journey from Glen Eyre to NOC is around an hour, it passes really quickly as everyone on your course living in Glen tend to get the same bus down - I actually made some of my best friends sitting on the bus chatting away on the way down to NOC!

I think definitely have a look and maybe make a list of pros and cons... do you have a gut feeling or preference already on accommodation?

From the people I knew who did oceanography at Southampton, I understand that normally first and second year lectures are on the main campus, with assigned practicals at NOC (but I think they timetable these together so you aren't having to go back and forth constantly), while third/fourth year you are wholly based at NOC. Therefore for first year you should probably pick halls near the main (Highfield) campus, where all your lectures are and from where you'll probably catch the bus to NOC. Later on in the course you may want to look at other accommodation options nearer NOC possibly (although really I don't think you'll find anything that close which is affordable for students).

The above assumes it is now as it was then though, as this was quite a few years ago; it sounds like it's more or less the same setup though still.
Hi Charlotte,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you! Africa is correct with a lot for our practicals and lectures being down at NOC, but it does differ each year depending on timetabling and lecture hall availability, for example in my first year all of my lectures were on the Highfield campus, and only my labs/practical sessions were down at NOC.

Accommodation I think, is a very personal thing. I chose to stay in Glen Eyre as its one of the larger more social halls complexes and I liked how much open green space was nearby... and the bbq pits onsite! Mayflower is probably a sensible option for a course like oceanography where you're on both campuses as it's situated directly between the two, but I found I didn't like the tower block nature of mayflower so chose not to live there. Although the bus journey from Glen Eyre to NOC is around an hour, it passes really quickly as everyone on your course living in Glen tend to get the same bus down - I actually made some of my best friends sitting on the bus chatting away on the way down to NOC!

I think definitely have a look and maybe make a list of pros and cons... do you have a gut feeling or preference already on accommodation?

Thanks for replying! I've applied to Glen eyre. any chance you could send a reading list for oceanography or some books that you recommend I read? I know I won't read them while I'm at uni, so I'll read them before lol. Thanks!
Thanks for replying! I've applied to Glen eyre. any chance you could send a reading list for oceanography or some books that you recommend I read? I know I won't read them while I'm at uni, so I'll read them before lol. Thanks!

Hi Charlotte!

I remember when I started I was desperate to crack on with a reading list and was frustrated when we weren't provided with one! In hindsight I'm glad we didn't have one as it meant I enjoyed my summer and wasn't stressing about uni too soon! If you're desperate to do some work and bits and bobs before you go, I'd really recommend watching some YouTube videos on MatLab just to familiarise yourself with the software... its a coding software used an awful lot with oceanography modules and assignments so its really worth having a look at.

In terms of books to read, these won't necessarily relate to your modules but I enjoyed reading the following and found them quite useful in places:

- Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man's Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science by Curtis Ebbesmeyer and Eric Scigliano
- How to read water - Tristan Gooley
- The book of tides - William Thomson

Have you got any more questions? If so please ask away!!

Third year ambassador
Hi Charlotte!

I remember when I started I was desperate to crack on with a reading list and was frustrated when we weren't provided with one! In hindsight I'm glad we didn't have one as it meant I enjoyed my summer and wasn't stressing about uni too soon! If you're desperate to do some work and bits and bobs before you go, I'd really recommend watching some YouTube videos on MatLab just to familiarise yourself with the software... its a coding software used an awful lot with oceanography modules and assignments so its really worth having a look at.

In terms of books to read, these won't necessarily relate to your modules but I enjoyed reading the following and found them quite useful in places:

- Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man's Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science by Curtis Ebbesmeyer and Eric Scigliano
- How to read water - Tristan Gooley
- The book of tides - William Thomson

Have you got any more questions? If so please ask away!!

Third year ambassador

Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!

No worries at all! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask away!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending