The Student Room Group

Are these good subjects do study Law at Uni?

Hi everyone

I am starting Sixth Form in September and looking to take BTEC Law, BTEC Business and A level Film Studies. Are these good courses to take to study Law at Uni? I have heard with Law, it's about how the high the grade is and not the subject itself, but would still like to take appealing courses.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
you really need to look at course entry requirements instead of asking on here. most courses will want A Levels only/ mostly, especially A Level English Language
Hi Lewis596,

Most law schools are more interested in your overall grades. There are some that do require that you do certain subjects but not many.

Found this website that has some good infomation: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-law

Have a look. But really just focus on obtaining A for most of your subjects.

Good luck with your future studies.

Tam
Student Ambassador ULaw
Most top Unis will only accept single subject BTECs with at least two A levels.

Law is a highly demanding intellectual subject - and BTECs, which are designed as more vocational job orientated qualifications, are not seen as adequate preparation. I'd advise you to choose 3 A level subjects that you will enjoy and where you feel confident of A grades.
As above law courses usually look for students taking mostly traditionally academic A-level subjects, as law degrees are themselves traditionally academic courses. While they are connected to the vocation of law, the degree itself is more or less purely academic and so universities are looking to see if students can cope with a full academic workload and have experience in preparing for unseen exams that make up a large proportion of their grades, with usually limited coursework opportunities.
hi there

universities usually prefer a levels as apposed to btec's and they are not specific on what subjects you do as long as you have 1/2 essay based subjects

some uni's dont accept btecs and their preferred a levels list is almost all a levels but as long as you've done at least 2 on the list you'll be fine.

law courses have no specific preferences or requirements so don't let people pressure you into doing certain subjects
as you are doing a levels that you are interested in and good at and will feel motivated to work hard at youll be fine as you just need AAA ,A*AA in the subjects of your choosing
Reply 6
Original post by epm000
you really need to look at course entry requirements instead of asking on here. most courses will want A Levels only/ mostly, especially A Level English Language

If you can find a university that expresses a preference for A level English Language then please post the link. I doubt there are any.
Reply 7
Original post by samcarolinx
universities usually prefer a levels as apposed to btec's and they are not specific on what subjects you do as long as you have 1/2 essay based subjects

Many universities don't even require an essay based subject - or certainly interpret it broadly, e.g. a modern language is fine. I've know people get offers from Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham and Birmingham with Sciences and a modern language.
Original post by Compost
I've know people get offers from Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham and Birmingham with Sciences and a modern language.....

.... because they have no required subjects for Law.

You seem to be suggesting that actually these Universities have an alternative assessment method- and you (only you) know that they do actually prefer certain subjects. The reality is that when they say there are no required subjects, that is actually what they mean - and there is no under-the-counter selection decision based on 'which subjects' at A level.

There is no 'secret info' that only some people know. Marketing legislation requires all UK Universities to be entirely up-front and honest about any subject 'required' or 'preferred' for any particular course. Sorry to disappoint your conspiracy theories.
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
.... because they have no required subjects for Law.

You seem to be suggesting that actually these Universities have an alternative assessment method- and you (only you) know that they do actually prefer certain subjects. The reality is that when they say there are no required subjects, that is actually what they mean - and there is no under-the-counter selection decision based on 'which subjects' at A level.

There is no 'secret info' that only some people know. Marketing legislation requires all UK Universities to be entirely up-front and honest about any subject 'required' or 'preferred' for any particular course. Sorry to disappoint your conspiracy theories.

I think you inferred what I didn't imply. I was just giving actual examples of universities that definitely didn't require 1-2 essay based subjects in response to another poster's assertion they were a necessity.
Original post by Compost
I think you inferred what I didn't imply. I was just giving actual examples of universities that definitely didn't require 1-2 essay based subjects in response to another poster's assertion they were a necessity.

Then I apologise - sometimes 'meanings' are misinterpreted.
Original post by Compost
Many universities don't even require an essay based subject - or certainly interpret it broadly, e.g. a modern language is fine. I've know people get offers from Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham and Birmingham with Sciences and a modern language.

they actually prefer you do as its helpful for the course and like I said you can do any a levels.
you can do law with a language its recommended if you want to do a year in Europe.
but yes you do need at least one essay based subject because law requires a lot of writing. And teachers recommend that you do.
and most a level subjects have an essay element which is why they aren't specific.
you do need at least one essay based subject

No. You. Don't.
but yes you do need at least one essay based subject because law requires a lot of writing.

You really don't. People do get places to read Law having studied Maths, Physics and Chemistry - no essays involved in those. .
Original post by Compost
You really don't. People do get places to read Law having studied Maths, Physics and Chemistry - no essays involved in those. .

When studying Law you'll have a lot of essays to write so essay-based subjects at school level will help you prepare for this.
if you don't study an essay based subject then you would just have to practice essay writing to be able to adjust to the change from not doing essays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending