The Student Room Group

Do I need to do economics a level for accounting

I don’t rlly want to, not fussed, prefer psych doing bio chem so far, will econ a level help me secure an accounting job? Or an apprenticeship
No.Economics isn't necessary.
Okay from what I understand If you desperately want to secure accounting then what most people do is they Choose Economics at A-level and then go onto do Economics at university. Saying that I know now my Econ teacher who also Teachers A-level Accountancy and taught people doing there Accountancy exams for jobs said that Econ is not necessary and a lot of people who go into Accounting don't even need a Degree from University. What you will need though is a subject like Maths or maybe further maths (A-levels of Eco or Accounting also do help).

To summarize, If you wanted to do a job in accounting I would suggest you do an A-level in either Maths or Eco just to help you because the Accountancy exams you take are very maths oriented.
Reply 3
No - you don't need economics, nor is it particularly helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by Ndexter456

To summarize, If you wanted to do a job in accounting I would suggest you do an A-level in either Maths or Eco just to help you because the Accountancy exams you take are very maths oriented.

Incorrect. You don't need any more than a decent grade at GCSE maths to get through accounting exams.
Original post by ajj2000
Incorrect. You don't need any more than a decent grade at GCSE maths to get through accounting exams.

Lol I never said you don't need anything more than a decent GCSE grade, I was saying if you wanted to do accountancy it looks good and would make it easier if you choose it. He said if it would help him secure an Accountancy job and doing A-level maths or economics would definitely help but ofc is not needed.
(edited 2 years ago)
As someone who is just coming to A-levels, this really helps. I just want to know if picking A-level maths and A-Level business is helpful or if I should just go straight for an apprenticeship.
Reply 7
Original post by jamesleighfield
As someone who is just coming to A-levels, this really helps. I just want to know if picking A-level maths and A-Level business is helpful or if I should just go straight for an apprenticeship.

Do you mean should you take A levels now or go straight into an apprenticeship at 16?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending