The Student Room Group

I'm 17 and my curfew is 4pm

I want to be able to go out more often and come home later than 4pm without my parents tracking my phone. I'm not sure how to ask them about it. I'll be off to uni next year anyway not sure if it's even worth asking. Could just wait till I'm 18.

Scroll to see replies

Wha!

Ofc you should talk to them, you are not a child and they shouldnt be tracking your phone and making you adhere to a regimented curfew! Esp as early as 4pm.
As someone who was once 17 myself (obviously) I understand how you feel.
As a parent now myself, I understand them wanting to ensure you are safe. Your child is your child no matter how old they are. My mother still checks up on me regularly.

I suggest sitting down with them and coming up with a compromise. Maybe they could agree to a later curfew, and you could ask them to stop tracking your phone, but in exchange perhaps you could text them once or twice through the evening just to let them know you haven't been kidnapped or hit by a bus!
(edited 2 years ago)
That is an absolute joke.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
As someone who was once 17 myself (obviously) I understand how you feel.
As a parent now myself, I understand them wanting to ensure you are safe. Your child is your child no matter how old they are. My mother still checks up on me regularly.

I suggest sitting down with them and coming up with a compromise. Maybe they could agree to a later curfew, and you could ask them to stop tracking your phone, but in exchange perhaps you could text them once or twice through the evening just to let them know you haven't been kidnapped or hit by a bus!

I totally agree
Might as well leave it now like you said until you leave.

Similar situation to myself, on school days I have to go to bed at 8:30! Even missed the Euros final because of that, as well as pretty much every Liverpool match this season. No complaints anyway.

I wouldn’t pi$s on my Mum if she were on fire to be honest.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I want to be able to go out more often and come home later than 4pm without my parents tracking my phone. I'm not sure how to ask them about it. I'll be off to uni next year anyway not sure if it's even worth asking. Could just wait till I'm 18.

when I was 14/15 my curfew was 4:30 pm

sucks doesn't it.......
Reply 7
4pm is kind of ridiculous, slightly makes sense in the winter as it starts to get dark but not summer.

One time I had 3 tracking devices on my phone and I literally only went to school. And they still asked me where I was, like look at the app and find out
Reply 8
As a parent myself I find some of the comments made by users about their parents to be derogatory. All any parent wants is the best for their children whatever age they are. I think maybe some of you should take a look at your own behaviour before judging.
Don't they trust you? I'll never understand strict parents. You'll be 18 in less than a year. You're not a ****ing child. 4pm is ridiculous.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Help-999
As a parent myself I find some of the comments made by users about their parents to be derogatory. All any parent wants is the best for their children whatever age they are. I think maybe some of you should take a look at your own behaviour before judging.

Not all parents want that, some just want to have someone to control or abuse.

ask them about what and where are you from
I think some of you are getting confused between wanting the best for someone and being controlling. Maybe some of you need to grow up a little and maybe look at things from another perspective instead of just thinking about yourself.
I think some of you are getting confused between wanting the best for someone and being controlling. Maybe some of you need to grow up a little and maybe look at things from another perspective instead of just thinking about yourself.

well said that person
Original post by Digitog6769
well said that person

A curfew at 4pm for a 17 year old is ridiculous. Borderline abuse.

Their friends would probably make so much fun of them if they knew about it.

I’m 21 now but I’m glad my parents weren’t that strict when I was younger
Reply 15
If at 17 you can't trust your kid to be out later than 4pm you are a terrible parent. How can you raise someone that badly?
Reply 16
Some parents struggle with accepting that their children arent little kids anymore. Nothing you can do but talk to them, make sure they feel listened to with their concerns and make sure they're listening to yours too.

A curfew at 4pm for a 17 year old is ridiculous. Borderline abuse.

Their friends would probably make so much fun of them if they knew about it.

I’m 21 now but I’m glad my parents weren’t that strict when I was younger

Everything seems to be abuse these days...
Maybe some of you should actually talk to your parents instead of moaning about them on a forum. You might be surprised that they might actually listen to what you are saying.

I bet you would give your child a curfew of 2pm
Original post by Ten-Ten
I bet you would give your child a curfew of 2pm

This is an example of needing to grow up - enough said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending