The Student Room Group

washing machines at uni

Does anyone know if the circuit laundry machines at uni have soap drawers to put washing powder in, or what laundry cleaner should i buy??? thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone know if the circuit laundry machines at uni have soap drawers to put washing powder in, or what laundry cleaner should i buy??? thanks

What is a 'circuit laundry machine'? Is this just the washing machines you find in halls?

If so, I'd either use a powder detergent (yes, they usually have a powder drawer) or avoid them altogether. They're basically large warm, damp boxes full of bacteria.
Most do not. However two of the Circuit washing machines in my uni halls of residence did have a functioning soap drawer.

To play it safe, I'd recommend either liquitabs/capsules, or a gel. I also use scent boosters myself, but that's just for added freshness.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
What is a 'circuit laundry machine'? Is this just the washing machines you find in halls?

If so, I'd either use a powder detergent (yes, they usually have a powder drawer) or avoid them altogether. They're basically large warm, damp boxes full of bacteria.

circuit laundry is just the company name I think, also thanks!
Reply 4
Most do not. However two of the Circuit washing machines in my uni halls of residence did have a functioning soap drawer.

To play it safe, I'd recommend either liquitabs/capsules, or a gel. I also use scent boosters myself, but that's just for added freshness.

Thanks!! I'll probably buy capsules.
My uni used Washstation and it did have a drawer for that kind of thing, you could use either powder or liquid, people also used capsules as well :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
circuit laundry is just the company name I think, also thanks!

Oh, OK - that makes sense then. Yes, I'd avoid them like the plague. The problem is that a huge number of dirty students wash their undies, bedding and all sorts at 30°C or 40°C using a liquid detergent which doesn't contain bleach. This makes these machines an ideal breeding ground for bacteria. If you absolutely must use them, then I recommend doing a 90°C wash with no clothes and powder detergent first, and then immediately afterwards do your load of washing. This will at least have some sterilising effect on the machine before you load your clothes. Yes, it'll cost more (i.e. two washes), but it's worth it :smile:
Reply 7
They had the drawers for laundry powder at my halls, only they were screwed shut :colonhash:

Get those boxes of capsules that you just chuck in. Make sure it's at the back when you put it in, it can get trapped on the door otherwise.
Reply 8
Oh, OK - that makes sense then. Yes, I'd avoid them like the plague. The problem is that a huge number of dirty students wash their undies, bedding and all sorts at 30°C or 40°C using a liquid detergent which doesn't contain bleach. This makes these machines an ideal breeding ground for bacteria. If you absolutely must use them, then I recommend doing a 90°C wash with no clothes and powder detergent first, and then immediately afterwards do your load of washing. This will at least have some sterilising effect on the machine before you load your clothes. Yes, it'll cost more (i.e. two washes), but it's worth it :smile:

At £2.20 for a wash nobody's going to run it twice

Some have a system for a cleansing operation after each use - some sort of anti-bac type thing.
Original post by Sinnoh
At £2.20 for a wash nobody's going to run it twice

Quite a few people will actually. £2.20 to prevent other people's bacteria and crap getting on your laundry is money well spent. I'm not going to be the only person who thinks that. Others won't give a ****, and that's up to them too.
Reply 11

From my experience in first year, the washers don't seem to have a soap drawer and if they did, it was screwed shut. Definitely get those laundry capsules as it just makes life easier.

Ah circuit, commiserations. You’ll end up forking out a £5 a load by the time you use the dryer.

Yea I think they normally do have a slot, I always just used capsules though.

I did this - a boil wash first and then a load immediately afterwards. It's costly, but it's worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending