The Student Room Group

Struggling to choose a uni course

I recently started y13 and am taking chemistry, biology and maths (and an AS in french over the two years). In my end of year y12 mocks I got A*, A, B respectively. The courses that I'm interested in are: biomedical sciences, biochemistry, pharmacology, pharmacy, biology, forensics. I currently enjoy chemistry the most, followed by biology then a large gap then maths. I feel like everyone else is miles ahead with their personal statement which I can't even start due to lack of course ideas, work experience and anything to put down. It feels like there's so much to look at and pressure to choose the correct course not only for my interests but future job opportunities. If anyone has experience in these subjects I'd love to hear about it and the possible job prospects but I'll continue to look into them too.
Original post by happymelon1
I recently started y13 and am taking chemistry, biology and maths (and an AS in french over the two years). In my end of year y12 mocks I got A*, A, B respectively. The courses that I'm interested in are: biomedical sciences, biochemistry, pharmacology, pharmacy, biology, forensics. I currently enjoy chemistry the most, followed by biology then a large gap then maths. I feel like everyone else is miles ahead with their personal statement which I can't even start due to lack of course ideas, work experience and anything to put down. It feels like there's so much to look at and pressure to choose the correct course not only for my interests but future job opportunities. If anyone has experience in these subjects I'd love to hear about it and the possible job prospects but I'll continue to look into them too.

If nothing is feeling like a good fit right now then honestly my best advice would be to take the pressure off and have a gap year to figure out what your really want to do. There is no rush to pay thousands of pounds and commit to a course that is going to shape you for the rest of your life!!! There are so many things volunteering, working, internships, traveling, etc etc that you can do but even if all you do is work in Tescos for a year you'll have saved up a nice pot of money and developed so many soft skills that all employers look for just from being in the workplace. Just my thoughts ☺️
Reply 2
Apart from forensics, those courses seem pretty similar to me, and in some universities there are common first years so you can transfer onto different programmes e.g
Leeds https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/courses/j416/biomedical-sciences-mbiol-bsc
https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/undergrad-study/doc/flexible-degrees
And Cardiff
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/biosciences/courses/undergraduate/biosciences-courses-bsc

You can write a bit of your personal statement, explaining what you enjoy about chemistry and biology, have you done any extra reading to show this?
Try not to worry though, the main deadline to apply is January for next year, or you can always apply late (less chance of an offer but still a chance), or as the other user said you can take a gap year.
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending