The Student Room Group

Iron rich food that are not disgusting

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elmason
Some tips from another relatively inexperience veggie/vegan:
1. Always freeze at least maybe a 1/3 of what you put in - if I’m using a banana it will always be frozen beforehand, and I normally also freeze some of the berries I put in too. How much you freeze does have an impact on the consistency of your smoothie, so experiment with how icy you want it to be.
2. You need a base. By that I mean something that makes up the majority of your smoothie; normally people use bananas, but you can use avocados too... you could probably make a base of berries but it’s normally better to use a quite ‘substantial’ fruit.
3. It’s not just fruit in a blender - you need liquid. This could be anything from fruit juice to a milk of some kind or water (although it’d probably taste a bit crap). You can also mix and match liquids.
4. Experiment with how much liquid you like. Do you want a smoothie to be something you could eat with a spoon, or something you could drink with a straw, or something in between? The iciness plays a factor in this, but the liquid is probably the determining factor. Normally what I do is put about 125-50 ml in a smoothie (varies obviously but this is normally for an average sized bowl), blend, and see if I’d like it to be any more liquidated.
5. Stir as you blend. Blend for an interval, then stop and move the unblended stuff closer to the blades. Repeat that until it’s all ~blended~.
6. Put veggies in! It sounds counterintuitive for a berry or fruit smoothie, but I pretty much always put some pre-grated carrot in my smoothies as it just gives it a really nice flavour, and I always sneak some spinach in (you can never taste it if you don’t like it).
7. Put other stuff in! I often season it with ginger or cinnamon, and normally I will toast some oats and put them in after I’ve stopped blending, just for some added texture.
8. Talking of texture, keep that in mind when blending. You can leave some of the stuff unblended or you can go full smooth. If you want full smooth it helps if you cut stuff up quite small before blending.

I don’t have a definitive recipe, but here is what I would do for a berry smoothie:
1 banana (frozen)
A *big* handful of raspberries (frozen)
A *big* handful of strawberries (maybe frozen - probably half frozen half not frozen)
—Those are the only berries I personally use but you could throw blueberries or blackberries in for sure—
1 /2 or maybe 1 grated carrot (not frozen)
A small handful of spinach
125-50ml oat milk and maybe a splash of water
I’ve never actually used fruit juice for a smoothie solely because I don’t like it but I’m sure it’d be nice, probably not too much though as you don’t want it to overpower the other fruit
A good sprinkle of toasted oats on top and maybe some non-blended fruit (you can also get some really nice ground nut mixes that give it a nice texture and flavour along with a healthy source of fat and general brilliant nutrition. This being said they’re normally quite pricy and you can get a pack of nuts for cheaper and chop them up yourself.)

I am REALLY not the person to advise you on this so please go and Ecosia some proper recipes and advice, but I do hope this helps!

This was so helpful thank you!! I really need to start freezing fruit more as it always tends to go off before I eat it so smoothies using frozen fruit might be a really good way of me getting more nutrients and not wasting fruit! Will definitely add carrot and/or spinach. Extra nutrients! I might use fruit juice as im not sure how keen ill be using milk or milk alternatives but ill definitely try all liquids to see which one I prefer! This was really really helpful thank you so much!
Original post by summerbirdreads
I hate beans too (don't come at me) but I'll try the cereal

even baked beans with a load of cheese? thats literally my favourite thing to eat!! But yeah have a research into different cereals to find one you like!
Original post by flamingolover
even baked beans with a load of cheese? thats literally my favourite thing to eat!! But yeah have a research into different cereals to find one you like!

I hate most cheese (don't ask me what I eat lol)
I hate most cheese (don't ask me what I eat lol)

I'm pretty picky as well and cheese is literally the only way I can get myself to eat most things!
I'm pretty picky as well and cheese is literally the only way I can get myself to eat most things!

the glare from my mum is the only way I can get myself to eat anything
the glare from my mum is the only way I can get myself to eat anything

Fair enough! My flatmate is really helping me as she knows a lot about nutrition. What I am doing is making a list of nutrients and stuff that I need (like carbs and stuff) and planning a few meals that I like that will make sure I hit all of these nutrient goals. Its a nightmare when I have to cook for myself and no one is around to make me eat! my mum did always help make me eat before uni
Hi! I'm a veggie and I'm struggling a bit with nutrition so I want to get into smoothies a bit more. How do you make a berry smoothie? Is it just fruit in a blender? Also what blender/smoothie maker do you use?

Hi
I put in about 1/3 of frozen mixed berries,
2 tablespoons of oats,
2 good handfuls of any dark green leafy vegetable i usually use spinach or kale (i freeze these otherwise they don't get eaten lol)
1/3 of a banana i don't always put this in as i'm not a big fan
I then fill up to the contents with unsweetened almond milk, you can use any milk or juice that you prefer.
Some honey for sweetness.

Honestly as long as you have a good amount of berries in there you can pretty much add whatever you want as you will mostly only taste the berries.
We have a Nutri Ninja.
I hate dates, meat (except chicken), liver, beetroot, spinach, almonds, dark chocolate, lentils, dried fruits, broccoli, etc.. I basically hate everything rich in iron that I ever tried but my haemoglobin and iron level are very low and I have to eat something along with the medicine but I don't know what, so please recommend me some

It's always a bit tricky getting iron in from foods especially when you're picky! I see the struggle but it is possible to up your iron intake nutritionally. It's worth researching ways to enhance iron absorption from the food you eat to maximise absorption - vitamin C helps the absorption of iron whereas a compound such as phytic acid inhibits the absorption of iron. Even cooking methods and preparation can impact iron levels in food.
Alternatively, you could self-refer yourself to see a dietitian who can help improve your iron intake dietary wise to make sure you're making the most of what you're eating and improve your haemoglobin and iron levels. It'll take time, but maybe experimenting in the kitchen and doing some research will help you on your way :smile:

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest