The Student Room Group

Leeds Dentistry 2022 Entry

Welcome to the Leeds Dentistry 2022 Entry discussion thread.

Useful links:

Undergraduate Dentistry 2022 entry thread: Official Dentistry 2022 Applicants' Thread! - The Student Room

The “Which dental school should I apply to?” Thread: The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread - The Student Room

TSR Dentistry Wiki: Dentistry - The Student Room

Dentistry Undergraduate Entry Requirements: Dentistry Entry Requirements | The Student Room

Dentistry Graduate Entry Requirements: Graduate entry requirements for dentistry | The Student Room

General TSR Rules:

Do not ask for or post group chat links.

Do not ask for or post interview questions.

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous129836
Hi, I’m currently on a gap year and finished my a-levels in year 13. I’m getting my results this august and predicting myself AAB (B in biology) and As in chem and psych. I was wondering how likely is it that I would get an offer from Leeds through A2L? I am eligible through Reach for Excellence scheme and alone but since I am applying with results and not predicted grades how exactly would that work? Has anyone ever been in a similar situation ? Thankyou :smile:

I’ve moved your thread to the existing Leeds 2022 entry thread to keep the conversation in one place once the applicant threads get busier later this year :smile:

Usually, having achieved grades will work more in your favour (rather than the opposite) - but they will rank you against other applicants. I’m no expert on Leeds’ admissions process though so if in doubt, you can always contact their admissions team.
Ahh thankyou! I did get in touch and emailed A2L and they said I would be eligible for alternative entry. I’m just dreading the whole being compared with other applicants thing so I was just wondering if anyone has actually been in a similar situation or actually even gotten in with AAB for dentistry through A2L. I need some statistics please (if you have any)Thanks again 😊
(edited 2 years ago)
Does anyone know anything about Leeds and whether or not its worth doing for dentistry as its the only university that do bmat for dentistry and not sure whether its worth the time
Original post by Anonymous129836
Hi, I’m currently on a gap year and finished my a-levels in year 13. I’m getting my results this august and predicting myself AAB (B in biology) and As in chem and psych. I was wondering how likely is it that I would get an offer from Leeds through A2L? I am eligible through Reach for Excellence scheme and alone but since I am applying with results and not predicted grades how exactly would that work? Has anyone ever been in a similar situation ? Thankyou :smile:

hi, does the reach for excellence program mean you'll get a lower offer?
im thinking of applying to leeds i got a ucat score of 2530 b2 and at gcse got 887777775 and at levels I'm predicted 3A's do you think that I should apply to leeds dentistry and do bmat and do leeds look at gcse/alevels a lot. any help would be appreciated.
Original post by tochukwu123
im thinking of applying to leeds i got a ucat score of 2530 b2 and at gcse got 887777775 and at levels I'm predicted 3A's do you think that I should apply to leeds dentistry and do bmat and do leeds look at gcse/alevels a lot. any help would be appreciated.

Anyone correct me if Im wrong, I think leeds don't place to much a weighting on BMAT. if its the same as Med, i looked at a Freedom of Info [FOI] act. this stated that leeds places a a weighting of 27 points max for 9A*. A*=3 A=2 B=1 Im pretty sure only 9 subjects at GCSE used. then they look at A-lvl =8point max for AAA. Then BMAT which is 5 points. so total outta 40. this was the FOI for medicine, it seems criteria is pretty similar for dent.

After they have done that 16 points on personal statement [ split into 8 and 8 for two different assessors]. It seems Leeds doesn't get to many applicants for dentistry like one of the years they had around:
- 450 applicants
- 250-300 interviewed
- 100-120 Offers...

so it seems like a reasonable option; could someone also double check if they do use the same system for med and dent!!!
Original post by Achawda23
Anyone correct me if Im wrong, I think leeds don't place to much a weighting on BMAT. if its the same as Med, i looked at a Freedom of Info [FOI] act. this stated that leeds places a a weighting of 27 points max for 9A*. A*=3 A=2 B=1 Im pretty sure only 9 subjects at GCSE used. then they look at A-lvl =8point max for AAA. Then BMAT which is 5 points. so total outta 40. this was the FOI for medicine, it seems criteria is pretty similar for dent.

After they have done that 16 points on personal statement [ split into 8 and 8 for two different assessors]. It seems Leeds doesn't get to many applicants for dentistry like one of the years they had around:
- 450 applicants
- 250-300 interviewed
- 100-120 Offers...

so it seems like a reasonable option; could someone also double check if they do use the same system for med and dent!!!

Also which other unis you thinking of applying too?
has anyone gotten an email confirming Leeds has received your application yet?? i don't know if they send them out or not and i'm getting a bit worried.
I haven't either

Original post by kissa_kig
has anyone gotten an email confirming Leeds has received your application yet?? i don't know if they send them out or not and i'm getting a bit worried.
Anyone know how Leeds shortlists for dentistry?
Original post by xcxvb1234
I haven't either

oh okii !! i just wanted to make sure i wasn't the only one
Original post by Jake653
Anyone know how Leeds shortlists for dentistry?

"Each applicant's BMAT score, entire educational background (regardless of qualifications sat), as well as personal statement and reference are used in generating a score for the applicant. These scores are then ranked, and we invite as many applicants to interview as we have capacity for in that year." - this is from a foi from last year but i think its a bit vague??
Reply 13
"Each applicant's BMAT score, entire educational background (regardless of qualifications sat), as well as personal statement and reference are used in generating a score for the applicant. These scores are then ranked, and we invite as many applicants to interview as we have capacity for in that year." - this is from a foi from last year but i think its a bit vague??

it is extremely vague. I tried calling in to the admission team but they don't answer phone calls because of 'covid'
Original post by astudent10
it is extremely vague. I tried calling in to the admission team but they don't answer phone calls because of 'covid'

samee
(edited 2 years ago)

- 450 applicants
- 250-300 interviewed
- 100-120 Offers...

i think this post probably has the most info about the scoring!! and leeds don't release their bmat cutoffs as it depends on the total amount of points you have in the end i think, so a higher bmat might make up for weaker gcse's but i'm not too sure??
i think this post probably has the most info about the scoring!! and leeds don't release their bmat cutoffs as it depends on the total amount of points you have in the end i think, so a higher bmat might make up for weaker gcse's but i'm not too sure??

Well that’s the FOI i found for med, so I’m assuming its similar. I asked about a BMAT cut off, they DONT HAVE ONE. Because its out of 5 points in ranking i think…. So its only ever used to mark positively even if you do bad. Hence bottom 20% of cohort on BMAT still get 1/5 points. Top 20% 5/5 points. Etc….
Well that’s the FOI i found for med, so I’m assuming its similar. I asked about a BMAT cut off, they DONT HAVE ONE. Because its out of 5 points in ranking i think…. So its only ever used to mark positively even if you do bad. Hence bottom 20% of cohort on BMAT still get 1/5 points. Top 20% 5/5 points. Etc….

ohhh thanks for clearing it up! it makes much more sense now. do you know if we find out which bmat percentile we are in on the bmat results day? or if it is pre-published just before the results come out?
sorry for the question spam btw
ohhh thanks for clearing it up! it makes much more sense now. do you know if we find out which bmat percentile we are in on the bmat results day? or if it is pre-published just before the results come out?
sorry for the question spam btw

Nah tbh ive got no clue how it works with that never done BMAT ahaha. My mate in yr above did and they said there is a sheet with the percentiles i guess/ distribution. And you just see which one you fit into with your result.

Don’t get to worried about BMAT score though!! If it doesnt go well you should still be okie :smile:
anyone still not got Leeds confirmation email? I haven't

Quick Reply

Latest