The Student Room Group

changing medicine to psychology

Basically my 5th option was psychology at Kings. One of my options was medicine at UCL but I don’t want to do the BMAT anymore since I haven’t revised at all and during the same week I’ve got mocks (BMAT is more important i guess but i’m tired of cramming cramming cramming). That means 3 options are medicine, 2 are psychology.

I was thinking of changing my course from UCL medicine to either KCL or UCL psychology but I’m not sure whether to pick KCL or UCL. KCL has the extra work experience year which i appreciate since I feel as though that experience will make it easier to get a job, but i’m assuming i don’t get paid during that time?

Is it hard to find a paid job after a 3 year psychology degree? Or is it better to stick with the 4 year degree (including the one year work experience)?

OR should i just cram for the BMAT in a week and sit it? Any advice would be great since I’ve only got around 9 days to change my course. And if i’m not taking the BMAT anymore ill have to cancel it through my school ASAP
Original post by sumayaaa
Basically my 5th option was psychology at Kings. One of my options was medicine at UCL but I don’t want to do the BMAT anymore since I haven’t revised at all and during the same week I’ve got mocks (BMAT is more important i guess but i’m tired of cramming cramming cramming). That means 3 options are medicine, 2 are psychology.

I was thinking of changing my course from UCL medicine to either KCL or UCL psychology but I’m not sure whether to pick KCL or UCL. KCL has the extra work experience year which i appreciate since I feel as though that experience will make it easier to get a job, but i’m assuming i don’t get paid during that time?

Is it hard to find a paid job after a 3 year psychology degree? Or is it better to stick with the 4 year degree (including the one year work experience)?

OR should i just cram for the BMAT in a week and sit it? Any advice would be great since I’ve only got around 9 days to change my course. And if i’m not taking the BMAT anymore ill have to cancel it through my school ASAP

@sumayaaa
Hello!

My background is in the social sciences having taught it for nearly 10 years and I have an MSc in Psychology.

Psychology is a brilliant subject to study, however, the market is saturated with people with Psychology degrees. In order to be a registered psychologist you need to have doctorate level study. What you tend to find is that people with a psychology degree will often either go into teaching with a PGCE, or sign up to a graduate type job for a major company. Other popular progression areas are social work (which would require further study like an MA in social work) or the police.

Medicine is very competitive, but it does have much better employability rates.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
nope, probably won’t go into psychology but like i’ve mentioned in a previous thread, school says i gotta have 5 options so

my plan is probably taking a gap year, unless i get offers that is
nope, probably won’t go into psychology but like i’ve mentioned in a previous thread, school says i gotta have 5 options so

my plan is probably taking a gap year, unless i get offers that is

Then just withdraw UCL medicine or take the BMAT without revising and see how it goes. You would at least know your BMAT score without revising and know where to improve next year.
Reply 4
Ah i see. Is a doctorate level taken after the qualification from the undergraduate degree? So that means it’ll take 6 years to become a fully registered psychologist?

Do you know how competitive being an occupational psychologist is? I read this book on a psychologist that was an occupational psychologist within the NHS (it’s called Also Human : the inner lives of doctors by Caroline Elton) so was interested on that

thanks for the reply, it’s much appreciated!
Reply 5
Original post by hungrysalamander
Then just withdraw UCL medicine or take the BMAT without revising and see how it goes. You would at least know your BMAT score without revising and know where to improve next year.

was thinking of taking the BMAT regardless since my school is paying for it but getting a bad score will defo hurt my ego, even if I wasn’t expecting a good score if that makes sense😭

Im just gonna take the BMAT, who knows maybe somehow it’ll be fine? I’ll revise a few days for it and just focus on my absolute weak spots
Ah i see. Is a doctorate level taken after the qualification from the undergraduate degree? So that means it’ll take 6 years to become a fully registered psychologist?

Do you know how competitive being an occupational psychologist is? I read this book on a psychologist that was an occupational psychologist within the NHS (it’s called Also Human : the inner lives of doctors by Caroline Elton) so was interested on that

thanks for the reply, it’s much appreciated!

It's (currently) a masters level qualification, but the difficulty is finding a trainee job afterwards. However, it's a moot point if you want to be a doctor as they are very different roles
Reply 7
Original post by Interrobang
It's (currently) a masters level qualification, but the difficulty is finding a trainee job afterwards. However, it's a moot point if you want to be a doctor as they are very different roles

ah i seee

You could become a psychologist within 7 years but realistically it takes much longer. 3 year undergrad, one year MSc, and at least 3 years for either a BPS Stage 2 qualification or a professional doctorate. You'd need substantial experience before being accepted onto the Stage 2/doctorate as well so more like 9 years altogether.
Original post by hungrysalamander

Thats exactly what I did, last year I was gonna apply to Cambridge. The hotting and the trotting is I didn't but I still sat the BMAT to see what it was like in case I would sit it this year and it turns out I am:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by bones-mccoy
You could become a psychologist within 7 years but realistically it takes much longer. 3 year undergrad, one year MSc, and at least 3 years for either a BPS Stage 2 qualification or a professional doctorate. You'd need substantial experience before being accepted onto the Stage 2/doctorate as well so more like 9 years altogether.

Ah i see. If i do go into medicine then I want to become a paediatrician, which i’m pretty sure takes like 10/11 years or more.
Reply 11
Original post by chris01928
Thats exactly what I did, last year I was gonna apply to Cambridge. The hotting and the trotting is I didn't but I still sat the BMAT to see what it was like in case I would sit it this year and it turns out I am:smile:

Good luck for this year!!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest