The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL BASC 2022 Arts and Science

Hi I want to start this thread for anyone applying to UCL Arts and Science course in 2022. I’ve sent off my application and got the questionnaire- they’ve given me 5 days?!?!! I want to major in science and engineering and minor in cultural. Haven't read anything about people applying for 2022 so started this thread. Good luck to everyone !!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, im looking to apply to BASc 2022, though ill be submitting my application in January when I get my exam results back.

I would major in cultures minor in sci/eng.

Can I ask if you tailored your personal statement to arts and sciences, and what the questionnaire entailed? Thanks and good luck to you too
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Jack.t08
Hey, im looking to apply to BASc 2022, though ill be submitting my application in January when I get my exam results back.

Can I ask if you tailored your personal statement to arts and sciences, and what the questionnaire entailed? Thanks and good luck to you too

I broadly tailored my personal statement but not at all detailed.
Reply 3

I got in to BASc in 2019 and my PS was tailored to Law - BASc was my 5th choice. I got in anyways :smile: they do say they do not really look for the PS to be written FOR them, they understand it’s a very unique course
Original post by Anna_dcliff
Hi I want to start this thread for anyone applying to UCL Arts and Science course in 2022. I’ve sent off my application and got the questionnaire- they’ve given me 5 days?!?!! I want to major in science and engineering and minor in cultural. Haven't read anything about people applying for 2022 so started this thread. Good luck to everyone !!

I've been given five days as well as I am not too sure how the questions should be answered, like what are they looking for. How did you find it?
Original post by ksennnn
I got in to BASc in 2019 and my PS was tailored to Law - BASc was my 5th choice. I got in anyways :smile: they do say they do not really look for the PS to be written FOR them, they understand it’s a very unique course

Hi, I just received my questionnaire and I am confused as to what they are looking for e.g. the style of writing I should use. i wish they provided an example and there are none online. I was wondering if you had any tips?
Reply 6
Original post by anon2003!
Hi, I just received my questionnaire and I am confused asHi to what they are looking for e.g. the style of writing I should use. i wish they provided an example and there are none online. I was wondering if you had any tips?

Hi! I actually did not have to do a questionnaire when I was applying, we were all asked to come in and listen to four lectures (one from each strand), and then we had two hours to answer questions (broadly related to the lectures) on a computer. So I'm not sure how helpful I can be. All I can say is that I didn't really focus that much on the style of writing, just enough to make it structured and coherent, and I prioritised making as many points as I could. I had a computer issue where half of my sentences at the end of each Q actually got chopped off and I still made it in. Writing is something you definitely learn at university, which is why I think it's more of a test on original thought, valuing interdisciplinary, and in my case ability to learn from the lectures we were given.
Has anyone got invitations to an open day for BaSC yet? BTW, I am hoping to major in health and environment!
Reply 8
Has anyone got the Arts Test for the UCL BASc on 10th December? If so can they please let me know how they’re preparing for the exam? I’ve been reading on the topics mentioned in the A Level general studies and would also like to start practicing essays relatively soon - so if anyone has any advice I’d love to hear it :smile:

Hello, I’m also an applicant to arts and sciences :smile: My personal statement was for the course ‘human sciences’ which is basically like a combo of bio and social sciences - so I did feel that my personal statement was well tailored for arts & sciences because it was interdisciplinary. But all in all it doesn’t really matter whether your personal statement is tailored that much or not because UCL BASc mentioned on the website that they weigh your questionnaire and A Levels more than the personal statement.

I already submitted my questionnaire a while ago but it was about 6-7 questions of why you want to do the course, why are you the right person for the course, why are you interested in interdisciplinary studies etc. It’s kind of like an additional personal statement specially for the course. I would say it’d be good to mention a few books/documentaries/podcasts of some of the disciplines you’re interested in and even worth mentioning how ideas youve learnt from different disciplines connect with each other.

UCL also look at your A Levels (obviously) and whether you have A levels with a mix of humanities and sciences or whether you’re only humanities or sciences based. So if you only have humanities/arts A Levels then you’d have to do a sciences exam and if you have only sciences/maths A Levels then you’d have to do a humanities exam. They said they do the exams several times a year depending on when you apply. Hope this is helpful! And good luck to everyone applying.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I’m also an applicant to arts and sciences :smile: My personal statement was for the course ‘human sciences’ which is basically like a combo of bio and social sciences - so I did feel that my personal statement was well tailored for arts & sciences because it was interdisciplinary. But all in all it doesn’t really matter whether your personal statement is tailored that much or not because UCL BASc mentioned on the website that they weigh your questionnaire and A Levels more than the personal statement.

I already submitted my questionnaire a while ago but it was about 6-7 questions of why you want to do the course, why are you the right person for the course, why are you interested in interdisciplinary studies etc. It’s kind of like an additional personal statement specially for the course. I would say it’d be good to mention a few books/documentaries/podcasts of some of the disciplines you’re interested in and even worth mentioning how ideas youve learnt from different disciplines connect with each other.

UCL also look at your A Levels (obviously) and whether you have A levels with a mix of humanities and sciences or whether you’re only humanities or sciences based. So if you only have humanities/arts A Levels then you’d have to do a sciences exam and if you have only sciences/maths A Levels then you’d have to do a humanities exam. They said they do the exams several times a year depending on when you apply. Hope this is helpful! And good luck to everyone applying

The one they sent me had 5 questions. I hope I didn't miss any out!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by anon2003!
The one they sent me had 5 questions. I hope I didn't miss any out!

Oh yep I just checked and it was 5 questions, sorry !!!!
Oh yep I just checked and it was 5 questions, sorry !!!!

No worries! I was just panicked slightly for a second. Has anyone heard anything back since?
Original post by Anna_dcliff

ahhhhhhhhhh I want to do the same too!!! did u get an offer yet???
hi all :smile: I just got an offer for BASc with a year abroad, and I'm planning on majoring in health and environment, minoring in societies hope everyone gets their offer soon too!
that’s amazing well done!!! I’m also applying for that but with cultures as my minor :smile: can I ask what your subjects/predictions are?
hi all :smile: I just got an offer for BASc with a year abroad, and I'm planning on majoring in health and environment, minoring in societies hope everyone gets their offer soon too!

Congrats!!!
Original post by nyreemarsh
ahhhhhhhhhh I want to do the same too!!! did u get an offer yet???

not yet 🤞
Original post by catherineew
that’s amazing well done!!! I’m also applying for that but with cultures as my minor :smile: can I ask what your subjects/predictions are?

hi! sure :wink: my predicted were A* in Geography, A* in biology and A in English language. I also am predicted an A* in my EPQ.
ooh cool! are you firming basc? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending