The Student Room Group

Rejected by Edinburgh

Hi, just thought I'd ask to see how other people have gotten on applying for medicine at Edinburgh. I'm predicted 4A*s at A Level and got 2800 in my UCAT, I was really happy with my personal statement but have been rejected. It's knocked my confidence a bit for my other choices now as I'm not sure what's gone wrong, maybe my UCAT wasn't high enough? Any comments would be appreciated!
Original post by yellowsubm4rine
Hi, just thought I'd ask to see how other people have gotten on applying for medicine at Edinburgh. I'm predicted 4A*s at A Level and got 2800 in my UCAT, I was really happy with my personal statement but have been rejected. It's knocked my confidence a bit for my other choices now as I'm not sure what's gone wrong, maybe my UCAT wasn't high enough? Any comments would be appreciated!

@becausethenight

I'm sorry. Don't be discouraged. Your stats are great. Edinburgh has very few places for outside Scotland. My daughter has a friend who began Medical School at Oxford this year, and he was rejected from Edinburgh without interview.

Probably need UCAT over 3000 and band 1 for Edinburgh if UK not Scottish applicant - so few places available
Edinburgh do not look at personal statement and is by far the most competitive UCAT university for RUK students. Try not to be disheartened, it sounds like a great application :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that :hugs:
As other people have said, Edinburgh is almost impossible to get into if you're not Scottish, and it's a shame you didn't find TSR when you were making your choices as we could have advised you on that. 2800 is an excellent UCAT score but with the competition this year, I can forsee several unis it would likely not make the cut at, and unfortunately Edinburgh is one of them. But if you've applied smartly, there's no reason you couldn't now have 3 interviews either.

Thanks for the tag :smile:
Original post by ClarissaBella
I'm sorry. Don't be discouraged. Your stats are great. Edinburgh has very few places for outside Scotland. My daughter has a friend who began Medical School at Oxford this year, and he was rejected from Edinburgh without interview.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm sorry to hear he got rejected too, it seems like the general consensus is that most applicants from outside Scotland have been rejected this year, I hope he does well with his other choices!
Original post by Angiogram1
Probably need UCAT over 3000 and band 1 for Edinburgh if UK not Scottish applicant - so few places available

Yeah, that seems to be the case for most applicants outside of Scotland, thanks for the reply!
Original post by Charliemarwing
Edinburgh do not look at personal statement and is by far the most competitive UCAT university for RUK students. Try not to be disheartened, it sounds like a great application :smile:

Ahh, that makes sense, it's so competitive this year! Thank you for the reply :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
As other people have said, Edinburgh is almost impossible to get into if you're not Scottish, and it's a shame you didn't find TSR when you were making your choices as we could have advised you on that. 2800 is an excellent UCAT score but with the competition this year, I can forsee several unis it would likely not make the cut at, and unfortunately Edinburgh is one of them. But if you've applied smartly, there's no reason you couldn't now have 3 interviews either.

Thank you for the reply! Edinburgh was one of my aspirational choices, thankfully, so my whole application wasn't banking on it, but I hadn't realised how few non-Scottish students they take on, I'll definitely pass that on to any future applicants I know!
what does RUK mean
Thank you for the reply! Edinburgh was one of my aspirational choices, thankfully, so my whole application wasn't banking on it, but I hadn't realised how few non-Scottish students they take on, I'll definitely pass that on to any future applicants I know!

Aspirational choices for medicine are risky - you only get 4, so we’d really encourage people to try and go for 4 guaranteed interviews.

Good luck for the rest of your application and your other choices :smile:
Original post by tetrad4444
what does RUK mean

'Rest of UK' - that is, a UK applicant not from Scotland.
Original post by becausethenight

Does anyone know if Glasgow is likely to be similar?
Original post by SapphirePhoenix1

Sort of but just the UCAT FOR Glasgow rather than academics as well. The problem is they have do few places for RUK or international students that they would only interview a smallish number so you need a high UCAT
Original post by Angiogram1
Sort of but just the UCAT FOR Glasgow rather than academics as well. The problem is they have do few places for RUK or international students that they would only interview a smallish number so you need a high UCAT

ugh ok. preparing for rejection...
(edited 2 years ago)
ugh ok. preparing for rejection...

(Edited your post just to fix the quote.)

Keep an eye on the Glasgow thread - I believe the cutoff for RUK applicants was around 2820 last year, but you have applied, and all you can do now is see what happens :smile:
Original post by ClarissaBella

Same with my son

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending