The Student Room Group

Cambridge economics

Any application tips. Any supercurriculars I should do. Essentially how can I fully prepare for the admission next year as a year 12 should I read books stick to academics do supercurriculars. If one of those which one and what I should do. Any tips or helpful advice on application on supercurriculars or advice about application in general
Reply 1
Original post by Anthony 1111
Any application tips. Any supercurriculars I should do. Essentially how can I fully prepare for the admission next year as a year 12 should I read books stick to academics do supercurriculars. If one of those which one and what I should do. Any tips or helpful advice on application on supercurriculars or advice about application in general

The Cambridge application process can be quite draining, both from a time perspective and mentally, from when you first start writing your PS in Sep, to the assessments in Nov, to interviews in Dec, and then decisions in Jan. It might be a little too early to start worrying about admission tests already. Focus on your A-levels and ensure you smash your end of year 12 mocks, as you will need the A* predictions to have a shot of getting in. If you really want to start early, then maybe start working on admission test prep next summer, but now is too early.
Original post by lalexm
The Cambridge application process can be quite draining, both from a time perspective and mentally, from when you first start writing your PS in Sep, to the assessments in Nov, to interviews in Dec, and then decisions in Jan. It might be a little too early to start worrying about admission tests already. Focus on your A-levels and ensure you smash your end of year 12 mocks, as you will need the A* predictions to have a shot of getting in. If you really want to start early, then maybe start working on admission test prep next summer, but now is too early.

What about extracurriculars and supercurriculars and book reading and doing stuff to put into my ps
Reply 3
What about extracurriculars and supercurriculars and book reading and doing stuff to put into my ps

I'm not economics applicant, so can't comment on that. I'm just a parent of someone who is currently going through the Cambridge application process now, for another subject, and it is quite consuming, so hence why I thought it would be best to not get too sucked into it so early. Others might have a different view though.
I Agree with the previous poster. Entering essay competitions is good for PS, as even if you don't win you can talk about what you wrote in interview etc. IEA has one, as does the royal economics society i believe. You will probably also need to do step. May i ask what alevels you're studying?
Original post by TheD3btCollector
I Agree with the previous poster. Entering essay competitions is good for PS, as even if you don't win you can talk about what you wrote in interview etc. IEA has one, as does the royal economics society i believe. You will probably also need to do step. May i ask what alevels you're studying?

That’s another problem I’m doing bio chem maths econ and realise how much fm is an asset so will probs drop bio and do as fm
That’s another problem I’m doing bio chem maths econ and realise how much fm is an asset so will probs drop bio and do as fm

You'd be better off doing the three A levels you need: economics, maths and FM with A*A*A*, rather than accumulate extra irrelevant ones such as chemistry or biology.
I'm also applying for Cambridge economics. For essay comps, the John Locke Institute has one open at the moment. Especially as you're studying less essay-based subjects it'll be good to prove you can write well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending