The Student Room Group

Unconditional Offer! Cancel other applications?

Hello, I've received an unconditional offer from Reading which is what I wanted! I haven't received all my other decisions yet, but I am ready to accept Reading.

Apparently I have to cancel all my other applications in order to accept this offer - Has anyone else done this before or doing so this year? Thank you !
Congratulations on your offer.

However, there is absolutely no benefit to firming Reading early, even if you may be sure you want to go there at the moment. Personally, I'd urge you to wait to hear back from your other options, at least you may have choices down the road. There are always numerous posts in a couple of months of people who firmed their 'top' uni early only to now regret the decision and are here asking if they can change. I'm not saying this will apply to you but there's no benefit to firming a uni in January instead of later.

Like you said if you wish to firm a uni without hearing back from all your other choices you must withdraw all your outstanding applications, which is quite a significant thing to do over waiting and seeing if you get any other offers.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mah1000000
Congratulations on your offer.

However, there is absolutely no benefit to firming Reading early, even if you may be sure you want to go there at the moment. Personally, I'd urge you to wait to hear back from your other options, at least you may have choices down the road. There are always numerous posts in a couple of months of people who firmed their 'top' uni early only to now regret the decision and are here asking if they can change. I'm not saying this will apply to you but there's no benefit to firming a uni in January instead of later.

Like you said if you wish to firm a uni without hearing back from all your other choices you must withdraw all your outstanding applications, which is quite a significant thing to do over waiting and seeing if you get any other offers.

Hi, thanks for your answer :smile: I'm 25 so I want to stay in private studio apartments and I am worrying that they will be gone soon (as it is second year accommodation I'm looking at). I only really care about the course content at Reading!
Reasons to wait - and reasons to be cautious :

An Unconditional place regardless of your results might seem like a dream offer, but be aware that there are some disadvantages to accepting this as your Firm:

1. If you choose an Unconditional as your Firm you cannot, by definition, have an Insurance choice. You are therefore locked in to going to that Uni - and only that Uni.

2. If you change your mind once you have firmed an unconditional place, you then have no alternative other than to ask to be released from that choice and wait for Clearing. This can be risky, as the course you want may not be available in Clearing.

3. A-level results will still matter. Many graduate recruitment schemes use high Ucas points or grades as selection criteria so it’s really important that you work hard to achieve the best grades possible.

4. Most of the universities making unconditional offers to A-level candidates do this only if you accept their offer as your firm the offer will be withdrawn if you make it your insurance. You should therefore check very carefully the exact terms of any unconditional offer when making this decision.
I have done this. I applied to five unis before going to open days; received four offers; went to three open days (didn't go to the fourth one because I had missed both the open days); fell in love with Northampton and withdrew my last choice/rejected the other three.

I did that a month ago and don't regret it. In my mind, and now reality, I am going to Northampton so there's no need to look at or think about other unis, so I don't see why I would change my mind. But I would definitely say wait until you visit, because I was set on Swansea with Portsmouth as my backup until I went to the open days, and then I completely changed my mind.

I am a mature student (21) so I have my A-levels and received all conditional offers. If you don't have your results and you except an unconditional offer, just make sure you still try in your exams, because your results will matter in the long run, and you need to be used to working hard for uni anyway.

I know lots of posts will say don't accept your offer this early and that you should wait because there's no rush but if you know you know. All I would say is that you should make sure you go to the open day and see the uni in person - visit everything (the accommodation, do a course talk, go into Reading city). And if you're sure after that then accept it.
You might want to wait and go round the offer holder days at the other unis before making your decision?
Original post by AbbyChris1
Hello, I've received an unconditional offer from Reading which is what I wanted! I haven't received all my other decisions yet, but I am ready to accept Reading.

Apparently I have to cancel all my other applications in order to accept this offer - Has anyone else done this before or doing so this year? Thank you !

Hi, firstly congratulations on your unconditional offer, it's a great feeling isn't it 😊 Yes I can confirm I've just had to do exactly the same thing in order to accept my offer. I got an unconditional place at the University I wanted before my offers were in. You literally just pull out from the other unis via UCAS then can instantly accept your offer and it will become Confirmed x
Original post by AbbyChris1
Hi, thanks for your answer :smile: I'm 25 so I want to stay in private studio apartments and I am worrying that they will be gone soon (as it is second year accommodation I'm looking at). I only really care about the course content at Reading!

I think there is a benefit, if you are happy, then go for it!
It will give everyone involved in uni admissions heart palpitations, but yes, you can do it but you need to be absolutely certain. McGinger's guidance above is very good, as are the posts encouraging you to visit the uni and/or go to an offer holders open day if possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending