The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Are sheffield lenient?

I've applied for theoretical physics Bsc at Sheffield and have received an offer for AAB
I'm doing maths, physics and English literature alevel, I think I can get the A's in maths and phys but I'm worried I might get a C in english :frown:

Do you think I'd still have a chance of getting in?
Original post by persephone337
I've applied for theoretical physics Bsc at Sheffield and have received an offer for AAB
I'm doing maths, physics and English literature alevel, I think I can get the A's in maths and phys but I'm worried I might get a C in english :frown:

I think you will as I’ve heard Sheffield are lenient if you get the grade in the relevant subject! Although they sometimes offer you a diff course, if you miss the grade, in a less competitive subject. In COVID times, there are more applicants though so I would say that you should really try and get that B in English! What exam board do you do for english as I’ve gotten A* in my OCR English lit essays several times so could maybe give some tips?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by hamlethoratio
I think you will as I’ve heard Sheffield are lenient if you get the grade in the relevant subject! Although they sometimes offer you a diff course, if you miss the grade, in a less competitive subject. In COVID times, there are more applicants though so I would say that you should really try and get that B in English! What exam board do you do for english as I’ve gotten A* in my OCR English lit essays several times so could maybe give some tips?

Thanks for your reply :smile: Do you think theoretical physics is especially competitive?
I'm doing edexcel english, I feel as though I understand my texts quite well as far as themes and characters go but I panic while writing essays and end up messing up on essay tech :frown: I ramble quite a bit and I think my writing can sound quite disorganised
Thanks for your reply :smile: Do you think theoretical physics is especially competitive?
I'm doing edexcel english, I feel as though I understand my texts quite well as far as themes and characters go but I panic while writing essays and end up messing up on essay tech :frown: I ramble quite a bit and I think my writing can sound quite disorganised

I have absolutely no idea sorry, but I wouldn’t imagine that it would be super popular as it’s quite niche isn’t it? Oh that’s a shame but it’s good you know your texts well and I think you could probably fix your essay technique. Maybe try looking through some example essays for your exam board (if there aren’t any online ask your teachers as they’ll have some) and try and draw out some sort of approach based on that perhaps? A lot of it can be upgrading your vocabulary too so for example, you wouldn’t say ‘sad’ you’d say ‘poignant’, or you wouldn’t say ‘shows’ you’d say ‘conveys’ or ‘manifested’ etc!

Hi!

Great to see you've applied to study at Sheffield! Im currently a student here.... and although i don't know too much about theoretical physics, i did get accepted into the university after not quite hitting the grades. My course required BBB and i received BBC, and i was still accepted with no questions asked.

Of course it vary's depending on the course and the number of people applying for it, but i just wanted to reach out and reassure you that i was in exactly your position and i made it!

Let me know if i can be of any more help to you!
Georgia :smile:
Hey, from my experience, sheffield uni is very lenient. I’m in my first year (so I got in during COVID times with predicted grades), and my offer from them was AAB, and I got BBB and still got in as my firm choice. I’m doing a humanities degree which may’ve helped as they are often undersubscribed, whereas theoretical physics may be more popular? Anyway, from my experience, sheffield is very lenient and don’t treat you any differently when you get here if you have lower grades than your offer. :smile:
On my course people who had missed their offer my one grade were denied entry in the 2021 cohort. I don’t know for sure, but I suspect it had something to do with grade inflation due to the pandemic. Although, this year it could be different.

I’d just try to do your best and if for whatever reason you’re denied, as soon as possible make an application for the foundation year of your course.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2023/physics-foundation-year-bsc-mphys

Entry requirements are BBB, so you should have a strong chance of acceptance, pending on student numbers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending