The Student Room Group

Is my degree going to be worthless?

So I'm studying a degree at a low ranked uni cause my A levels were terrible. My main goal was always to get a good grade in my degree first (preferably a first) take a break from studying and then apply to whatever field I'm interested in a few years later. I know traditionally you should be doing work experience, extra curriculars and internships during uni since you will lose all these opportunities after graduation but I really struggled to do this during my time at uni due to personal circumstances and obviously covid. For example, I tried to apply to internships during my 2nd year but I either got rejected because my CV was rubbish and the places I wanted to apply to weren't taking any students due to covid. And also, since my field is healthcare related, it was really difficult to get any experience in the NHS. 2nd year was also horrible because I was going through major mental health issues because it was all online and I was isolating without being able to make new friends or enjoy the "social" aspect of uni. I didn't bother to join societies because I just didn't like the fact that they were all online and nobody ever turned their mic on and spoke. So honestly, I just lost motivation to do anything.

Anyway, Im now in my final year, I didn't and (still don't) know what I even want to do after I graduate which is another reason why I didn't really put much effort into internship applications in 2nd year, I was just so indecisive about what I truly wanted to do... So I had to quit my part time job recently because my grades were starting to go down and I really needed to pull it up considering 3rd year is worth 75% of my degree. Although it seemed manageable with a job, I would never forgive myself if I got a 2:2 just because I cared more about my £9 an hour job, so for me it didn't really make any sense to keep working. Since I'm already at a low ranked uni, if I get a 2:2 I feel like I'm really going to struggle a lot. So I thought.... OK I'm in a tough situation here, I might aswell aim to get a good degree mark and then maybe I can decide later on what to do. But then I started to come across forums that said your degree starts to become worthless if you haven't done anything atleast 2 years post graduation. Is this true? If so then it's already too late for me because I only have 4 months left of uni and I've not left myself enough time to do anything. I feel really hopeless and feel like my degree is going to be a waste now because I didn't apply myself and make the most out of uni. I just concentrated solely on the degree and now im going to pay the price for it....

Scroll to see replies

With a 2:2 degree you can pretty much do anything unless you are wanting to apply for the most selective graduate roles in London or apply for a competitive place on a Master's course at Oxbridge. The main thing employers want is work experience and transferable skills. When I went for job interviews after leaving University, employers were more interested in the fact that I'd worked up to 50 hours a week at Primark while doing my degree than the fact I got a 2:2.
Reply 2
Original post by Powersymphonia
With a 2:2 degree you can pretty much do anything unless you are wanting to apply for the most selective graduate roles in London or apply for a competitive place on a Master's course at Oxbridge. The main thing employers want is work experience and transferable skills. When I went for job interviews after leaving University, employers were more interested in the fact that I'd worked up to 50 hours a week at Primark while doing my degree than the fact I got a 2:2.

Well great... Looks like I made the wrong decision by quitting my job at Zara.
Reply 3
Why wouldn't you do anything for 2 years after your degree?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Why wouldn't you do anything for 2 years after your degree?

I'm just saying that It's going to take some time to get into the field that I want to. So I would have to be patient and build up the key skills and experiences that the employers would want before I apply to either further study or whatever.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just saying that It's going to take some time to get into the field that I want to. So I would have to be patient and build up the key skills and experiences that the employers would want before I apply to either further study or whatever.

What is the field? Most graduates aim to get into grad schemes or into a related area quickly and progress.
Not much you can do now re: relevant work experience so you'll just have to keep marching onwards and start applying for jobs/grad schemes. Really should have done this from Sept 2021 onwards as that's when the schemes start opening but it is what it is. If you can tolerate a year of unemployment after graduation then you could take a break for a bit after graduating and go into the 2022-23 graduate recruiting cycle.

Wouldn't say your degree is worthless if you want to go into jobs that require a degree to get into or progress (and if you've enjoyed your studies).
Reply 7
Original post by Blue_Cow
Not much you can do now re: relevant work experience so you'll just have to keep marching onwards and start applying for jobs/grad schemes. Really should have done this from Sept 2021 onwards as that's when the schemes start opening but it is what it is. If you can tolerate a year of unemployment after graduation then you could take a break for a bit after graduating and go into the 2022-23 graduate recruiting cycle.

Wouldn't say your degree is worthless if you want to go into jobs that require a degree to get into or progress (and if you've enjoyed your studies).

I know but the main thing is that I just didn't know what I wanted to do with my degree since I started it. I kind of want to decide afterwards, after I have got my actual degree classification. For example, If I'm gonna apply to something super competitive, I'm going to need a 1st regardless.
I know but the main thing is that I just didn't know what I wanted to do with my degree since I started it. I kind of want to decide afterwards, after I have got my actual degree classification. For example, If I'm gonna apply to something super competitive, I'm going to need a 1st regardless.

Eh. Your performance in psychometric tests and assessment centres is far more important than your degree classification. Most places do not require a first and it doesn't make you a more competitive candidate by having one.
Reply 9
So I'm studying a degree at a low ranked uni cause my A levels were terrible. My main goal was always to get a good grade in my degree first (preferably a first) take a break from studying and then apply to whatever field I'm interested in a few years later. I know traditionally you should be doing work experience, extra curriculars and internships during uni since you will lose all these opportunities after graduation but I really struggled to do this during my time at uni due to personal circumstances and obviously covid. For example, I tried to apply to internships during my 2nd year but I either got rejected because my CV was rubbish and the places I wanted to apply to weren't taking any students due to covid. And also, since my field is healthcare related, it was really difficult to get any experience in the NHS. 2nd year was also horrible because I was going through major mental health issues because it was all online and I was isolating without being able to make new friends or enjoy the "social" aspect of uni. I didn't bother to join societies because I just didn't like the fact that they were all online and nobody ever turned their mic on and spoke. So honestly, I just lost motivation to do anything.

Anyway, Im now in my final year, I didn't and (still don't) know what I even want to do after I graduate which is another reason why I didn't really put much effort into internship applications in 2nd year, I was just so indecisive about what I truly wanted to do... So I had to quit my part time job recently because my grades were starting to go down and I really needed to pull it up considering 3rd year is worth 75% of my degree. Although it seemed manageable with a job, I would never forgive myself if I got a 2:2 just because I cared more about my £9 an hour job, so for me it didn't really make any sense to keep working. Since I'm already at a low ranked uni, if I get a 2:2 I feel like I'm really going to struggle a lot. So I thought.... OK I'm in a tough situation here, I might aswell aim to get a good degree mark and then maybe I can decide later on what to do. But then I started to come across forums that said your degree starts to become worthless if you haven't done anything atleast 2 years post graduation. Is this true? If so then it's already too late for me because I only have 4 months left of uni and I've not left myself enough time to do anything. I feel really hopeless and feel like my degree is going to be a waste now because I didn't apply myself and make the most out of uni. I just concentrated solely on the degree and now im going to pay the price for it....

what degree?
Reply 10
What degree are you working on? & what field would you like to go into?

No you have made the right decision.You can pick up a retail job in the summer if that is required.My daughter is in the same year as you and she too has had an awful time with all the covid lockdowns and online stuff.Seriously what is it with the not turning on the camera and not speaking?Son was tutoring groups at a uni and he would be facing a load of blank screens and only knew they were there because he had to do a role call.
However I digress.A degree is a degree for many employers so get that and then plan your path forward.What sort of health area are we talking?
Reply 12

You also don't need to decide your entire future now. Do something after university, whatever appeals at the time and try it for a couple of years. You can always change career later.
Original post by EIL3EN
You also don't need to decide your entire future now. Do something after university, whatever appeals at the time and try it for a couple of years. You can always change career later.

Original post by j25_8
What degree are you working on? & what field would you like to go into?

Original post by malshoha
what degree?

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm planning to do; decide later after I've finished my course. So I'm studying Biomedical Science at a low-ranked uni. The degree is accredited but I didn't do a sandwich placement year which means it will be harder to get a job as a lab scientist due to not having any experience in the field. I either want to do that or apply to do a masters in physician associate which again requires experience but in a healthcare setting. I have neither experiences yet which is probably why I have no idea what I see myself doing.
Reply 14
Original post by Powersymphonia

What job were you interviewed for? Because I am pretty sure that your degree qualification also matters a lot. 2:1 is what the employers love to see. Of course less qualified jobs (like part time jobs etc.) would care about your soft transferable skills but when it comes to more professional jobs such as teaching (as we are all familiar with this job) 2:1 in your degree is what the employers expect to see - unless you are applying for online tutoring scheme. The reality is that which university you went to, and which degree qualification you get all matters. Your degree qualification does not only show how good you are in that discipline, but it shows your academic inquisitiveness and how hard working you are. 50 hours primary a week would be impressive, and I am not saying that it isn't. But having a 2:2 alongside is not attractive to many employers.

So,
THE BEST APPLICATION WOULD SHOW THAT YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WORKING AS WELL AS HAVING A GOOD DEGREE QUALIFICATION AT A RESPECTED UNIVERSITY. This is cruel ik. But this is the truth. If you want to have a professional job - idk let's say secondary school teacher - having and 2:1 at good university will open more doors for you. Hope this makes sense. Not trying to attack what you said, but just to reveal the truth that 2:1 should always be the target for university students.
Original post by Shuei
What job were you interviewed for? Because I am pretty sure that your degree qualification also matters a lot. 2:1 is what the employers love to see. Of course less qualified jobs (like part time jobs etc.) would care about your soft transferable skills but when it comes to more professional jobs such as teaching (as we are all familiar with this job) 2:1 in your degree is what the employers expect to see - unless you are applying for online tutoring scheme. The reality is that which university you went to, and which degree qualification you get all matters. Your degree qualification does not only show how good you are in that discipline, but it shows your academic inquisitiveness and how hard working you are. 50 hours primary a week would be impressive, and I am not saying that it isn't. But having a 2:2 alongside is not attractive to many employers.

So,
THE BEST APPLICATION WOULD SHOW THAT YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WORKING AS WELL AS HAVING A GOOD DEGREE QUALIFICATION AT A RESPECTED UNIVERSITY. This is cruel ik. But this is the truth. If you want to have a professional job - idk let's say secondary school teacher - having and 2:1 at good university will open more doors for you. Hope this makes sense. Not trying to attack what you said, but just to reveal the truth that 2:1 should always be the target for university students.

Well the problem is that I'm not at a respected university. So even if I get a 2:1 or a 1st, is my degree meaningless?
Reply 16
Well the problem is that I'm not at a respected university. So even if I get a 2:1 or a 1st, is my degree meaningless?

Your degree won't be meaningless and I am not saying that it is. In the UK some people don't have a degree. Your degree will open doors for you especially with a first. But as I said, from a less reputable university, your degree will be looked down upon when competing in certain jobs where there will be applicant from top universities. This can, however, be covered up by loads of work experience.
Reply 17

Hi there. First point I want to make is NOTHING YOU DO WILL BE WORTHLESS! Every single choice you make whether it leads you to something you find hard/ enjoy/ dont enjoy/ are rubbish at or excel at. I promise you it will lead you to where you want to be. I’m speaking from experience here because I studied Law at University and ended up working in Financial services for a while (which I hated) and thought my degree was a waste. But actually my degree gave me the grounding and skills to get that job which made me realise what I actually need from a job. Now I am entering a career in Journalism and starting my own business. If I was comfortable where I was I probably wouldn’t have found what I was passionate about.

Second point I want to make is it’s not what you’ve got but what you do with it. There are people with first class degrees & working in Asda, not because they couldn’t do more but they didn’t strive for more. You can do anything even with a 2.2 you just have to be ambitious and determined which I’m sure you are.

My final piece of advice is to keep an open mind and always be open to new opportunities. Although I was set on pursuing a career in law whilst in university when I graduated I explored a variety of career paths which landed me a good first job. I know you said you want to work in healthcare but why not dig deep and try and find other avenues you might enjoy? Don’t feel like you have to work in healthcare just because you have a healthcare based degree!

I would also say that any experience is good experience so if you can work part time and balance your time brilliant. If you can find work experience/ internships even better. Even if it’s volunteering. Do anything that adds to you as a person and a candidate. Once you explore different things you will be able to identify your strengths and therefore your value.
I completed a masters and bachelors degree graduated with first-class on both, I dont use my degree at all but have a high pay job after graduation. I think most people dont end up in careers using their degrees but obviously i am biased, just based on what I have heard from friends at university. Currently started paying off the student loans, I realise they are not much to pay monthly.... but when i think of how worthless the degrees are to me right now it pains me to pay it.
Some people say degrees arent needed for good jobs but i think they still are, so i think in the future the fact i have the degrees will benefit my job search for my next job.
Original post by Shuei

So,

I'm a qualified teacher of English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending