The Student Room Group
It depends on the subjects your interest in studying at a level/ uni. If they are similar like you want to study English, then GCSE English would be important but say you wanted to study Film then you might not need to meet specific entry requirements with your GCSES, if that makes sense:smile:
Reply 2
If you want to do Maths in the future, you should retake it. You can easily improve in a subject if it's the only subject you concentrate on (along with English I presume). However, if you do well in the subjects you want to do in the future, most universities would be satisfied with a 5 since it's a 'strong pass'
Original post by JPF6
I got a 5 in GCSEs, most universities require a 7. However is it worth the risk trying to get a higher grade and potentially lose the 5 and get a lower grade? Another option is to throw away my mental health and go for A Level Maths to compensate for the low GCSE grade?

Very few unis ask for a 7. A 6 in Maths is often required for courses with a high Maths involvement such as CS, Economics, Business, Psychology etc. If you are looking at taking a subject with a Maths content you will need the appropriate GCSE grade or face an automatic rejection. Taking A level Maths with a 5 in GCSE is likely to lead to failure. @Muttley79 can you give your input as a Maths teacher on this.
Original post by JPF6
I got a 5 in GCSEs, most universities require a 7. However is it worth the risk trying to get a higher grade and potentially lose the 5 and get a lower grade? Another option is to throw away my mental health and go for A Level Maths to compensate for the low GCSE grade?

What degree are you considering that requires a grade 7?

I think you will struggle if you got a grade 5 as a CAG/TAG - we require a grade 7 to start A level.
Reply 5
I’m looking at either Finance or Economics which both are very mathematical heavy courses, im positive in my math skills it’s just i decided to wing my exams and go off luck.
Original post by JPF6
I’m looking at either Finance or Economics which both are very mathematical heavy courses, im positive in my math skills it’s just i decided to wing my exams and go off luck.

Are you in Year 12? There was a thread I noted earlier about GCSE Maths grade uni requirements for Economics ... maybe check that?
Original post by JPF6

Winging your exams or not most schools or colleges wont accept you for A level Maths with a grade 5 in GCSE and it is highly likely you will fail. There is a huge jump from GCSE to A level Maths and without the building stones you wont cope. How can you make a comment on your A level ability when you have no knowledge of the difficulty.
Most leading universities require grade A or A* at A level for Economics and it is a massive rise from a 5 in GCSE to that. Someone capable of those grades wouldnt have ended up with a 5.
Original post by JPF6

Maybe you should consider a less mathematical course like Business studies? It’s not worth damaging your mental health by trying to force yourself to do A level Maths when you will very likely struggle to keep up
I coped with a grade 5 in maths. Don't listen to people saying you can't do it. I had potential at GCSE and AS Level across all 3 subjects.
Reply 10
Original post by Anony345533
I coped with a grade 5 in maths. Don't listen to people saying you can't do it. I had potential at GCSE and AS Level across all 3 subjects.

Don’t worry, i resat the exam. I managed to get an 8 this time around and an A*AA in A Levels to back up my application 😁

Latest

Trending

Trending