The Student Room Group

Failed my A-Level Year 12 Mocks

Hi, so I know i’m academic capable of doing A-Levels and I know I can get good grades but i’ve been struggling mentally to become motivated and do the work necessary! So it’s all built up and I basically ended up getting D-, U, U in all three of my A- Level Year 12 Mocks. I’m so disgusting and disappointed at myself because I know I would have been able to get way better grades if I tried! I don’t think my school is kicking me out but I’m terrified of getting bad predicted grades for uni, I’m going to work really hard from now until the exams we do just before our UCAS grades go out, but can someone please reassure me that it’s not to late? I’ve had a wake up call and I’m prepared to do the maximum and more! I just don’t want to be brought down by my bad grades, I know I can do better 100% in Year 13 before the UCAS predictions go on. Is the anyone out there who messed up their Year 12 mocks but still got good predicted grades due to their performance in Year 13?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anniemo004
Hi, so I know i’m academic capable of doing A-Levels and I know I can get good grades but i’ve been struggling mentally to become motivated and do the work necessary! So it’s all built up and I basically ended up getting D-, U, U in all three of my A- Level Year 12 Mocks. I’m so disgusting and disappointed at myself because I know I would have been able to get way better grades if I tried! I don’t think my school is kicking me out but I’m terrified of getting bad predicted grades for uni, I’m going to work really hard from now until the exams we do just before our UCAS grades go out, but can someone please reassure me that it’s not to late? I’ve had a wake up call and I’m prepared to do the maximum and more! I just don’t want to be brought down by my bad grades, I know I can do better 100% in Year 13 before the UCAS predictions go on. Is the anyone out there who messed up their Year 12 mocks but still got good predicted grades due to their performance in Year 13?

hii so I was in the exact same boat as you, I'm currently about to sit my a levels.

In my end of year 12 exams I got low C's, which was not at all I was aiming for. But It honestly was not the end of the world, yes the exams play a role in ur ucas grades but the deadline to submit your application is like early-mid jan. so I am pretty sure before then when you go into yr 13 you will sit mocks and do many tests within your classes. Make sure you do well in those so your teachers can recognise your hard works and progress, and then they will have no excuse to not predict you higher! My teachers predicted me 1-2 grades higher than what I got in my yr 12 mocks, so its honestly all going to work out !

wish you the best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by behxshtaa
hii so I was in the exact same boat as you, I'm currently about to sit my a levels.

In my end of year 12 exams I got low C's, which was not at all I was aiming for. But It honestly was not the end of the world, yes the exams play a role in ur ucas grades but the deadline to submit your application is like early-mid jan. so I am pretty sure before then when you go into yr 13 you will sit mocks and do many tests within your classes. Make sure you do well in those so your teachers can recognise your hard works and progress, and then they will have no excuse to not predict you higher! My teachers predicted me 1-2 grades higher than what I got in my yr 12 mocks, so its honestly all going to work out !

wish you the best :smile:

same story with me i got A* in chem mocks but B,B,C in maths bio physics respectively. My boards i got AAAB for as levels. Predicted grades will be given after boards, So do well in those. My current predicted grades are A* A* A in Chem bio physics respectively. So the point is don't stress to much you still have time. However, don't take our advice and start relaxing. Do not waste time just because we reassured you. You've lost a battle, but you shall win the war. Push harder and all the best. I hope you do really well.
Ill head off for my A level exams hopefully i get 3 A*s.

If you happen to take chem in a levels and need help with anything let me know.
definitely! don't start relaxing now because hard work pays off, and closer you get to exams the more you will thank your self and your previous efforts.
Original post by Arkcano
same story with me i got A* in chem mocks but B,B,C in maths bio physics respectively. My boards i got AAAB for as levels. Predicted grades will be given after boards, So do well in those. My current predicted grades are A* A* A in Chem bio physics respectively. So the point is don't stress to much you still have time. However, don't take our advice and start relaxing. Do not waste time just because we reassured you. You've lost a battle, but you shall win the war. Push harder and all the best. I hope you do really well.

Good luck with your studies. You've definitely got time to turn it around! Importantly, make sure you ask for and utilise help where you need it and let your fam/tutors know that you've been struggling, if they don't already know.

Not specifically on growing your grades but just wanted to say that I can personally recommend taking a gap year and applying with your achieved results. I didn't have the grades I wanted after Year 12 and was worried about my predicted grades not being what I wanted for uni. So I decided to wait an extra year and apply with grades in hand. I ended up improving and getting A*AAC - should have dropped that last subject after Year 12 lol - and I think that was partly down to having a less stressful Year 13 than my friends who were grappling with applications and offers they needed to meet. It took a lot of the direct pressure off, is what I'm saying. It also felt good going into uni applications knowing for certain which courses I met entry criteria for or didn't.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5

in the same situation is u rn im year12 and just got my bio mock back today and got an E but my teacher said theres still time to turn things around hopefully our predicted grades will be
higher im stressed about applying for uni and not getting an offer cause of my grades ;(
Reply 6
I've also just finished my mocks but unless you are an early applicant (which most schools have September resits for) these mocks shoulnt really affect much (as you should do another mock before exams), you are more than your grades and your teachers know that- if they know you've been putting in so much more effort and get much better in the next exams, then they'll take that into account and not use these mocks, it's definitely not the end at all! In my case I got Es in the January mocks and I've managed to get all As now, and despite them saying they'll take an average of both Jan and know, my predicteds are all A*s because they took into account my effort after Jan. As long as you do hard work it's totally fine!! Good luck!!
Reply 7
If you want to then u could go on to do a T Level and then go to university but it depends on what you want to do.

Hello.
A while back when I did my AS exams there was a kid in my class who got 2 E's and a D grade for the Yr 12 exams.
By the Yr 13 exams he managed to get 3 C grades; I don't know whether he went on to University though, but still a good effort and it paid off.
It's entitrely possible and likely you will go up grades in your Yr 13 exams; trick is to revise and don't focus on getting 100% on everything.
You overthink, you'll struggle to improve.
Good luck come the real deal, I'm sure you can easily get C or B grades come next year.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by NHA125
I've also just finished my mocks but unless you are an early applicant (which most schools have September resits for) these mocks shoulnt really affect much (as you should do another mock before exams), you are more than your grades and your teachers know that- if they know you've been putting in so much more effort and get much better in the next exams, then they'll take that into account and not use these mocks, it's definitely not the end at all! In my case I got Es in the January mocks and I've managed to get all As now, and despite them saying they'll take an average of both Jan and know, my predicteds are all A*s because they took into account my effort after Jan. As long as you do hard work it's totally fine!! Good luck!!

Question, I've done my mocks in early march and i was really confused since i had never done mocks so early in highschool. I underestimated the preparation for exams and managed to scrape an E in maths, D in computer science and a U for physics. They let me resit physics in around May 6th but never let us know until April 1st. I was really happy of course however i found out about elden ring and played it for nonstop which i deeply regret. I failed again and my head of year told me that he strongly advices me to drop the subject but i need it for my career. Since my school is over subscribed and they have small chances of allowing resists, am not sure if i could ask them to resit the year on the meeting i have on monday?. Sorry for the ramble but the question is if its possible that i can go from a U grade to a B? I've got 2 upcoming mocks ( not exam style like you would do in the hall) that are in june and 1 in september. Also concerning maths i've got a mock in september as well. Fortunately computer science is the one am most confident in getting a B in since i've got 2 exams + coursework to do
Reply 10
Original post by bcusz
Question, I've done my mocks in early march and i was really confused since i had never done mocks so early in highschool. I underestimated the preparation for exams and managed to scrape an E in maths, D in computer science and a U for physics. They let me resit physics in around May 6th but never let us know until April 1st. I was really happy of course however i found out about elden ring and played it for nonstop which i deeply regret. I failed again and my head of year told me that he strongly advices me to drop the subject but i need it for my career. Since my school is over subscribed and they have small chances of allowing resists, am not sure if i could ask them to resit the year on the meeting i have on monday?. Sorry for the ramble but the question is if its possible that i can go from a U grade to a B? I've got 2 upcoming mocks ( not exam style like you would do in the hall) that are in june and 1 in september. Also concerning maths i've got a mock in september as well. Fortunately computer science is the one am most confident in getting a B in since i've got 2 exams + coursework to do

The fact that your school did mocks march seems incredibly evil to me and the fact that your resits are so close together?? It seems incredibly wrong to do in the first place, but getting to the point, yes it is possible but it would require and extreme amount of work, this all depends on your work ethic and the effectiveness of your revision, considering you have less than a month to your exams, it would be incredibly hard, but it's certainly possible- I did this for chemistry and maths from Es to As- prioritise the most important topics, make sure you have at least 2 days worth of pure exam practice and you should see yourself improve considerably . To sum it up, it honestly is up to your work ethic and capabilities, but since you didn't do revision at all and it wasn't a case of trying and still getting Us - it's very possible you can achieve a B
Original post by Arkcano

hey im doing as chem rn and im finding it so difficult and its hard to motivate myself to revise for it. i have two weeks left till exams but i still have module 4 to cover. do you have any tips on revision thats effective? and effective time management.
Original post by Arkcano

hi i also take OCR a level chemistry and im really struggling and wanted to know tips on how to revise as i have mocks in december and i need to get a B as im on a D

Quick Reply

Latest