The Student Room Group

University life

What we the best to improve your grades in University
Original post by Anonymous

I fear that this sentence may have some words missing.

OP, learn to spell before you attempt a degree.

Don’t procrastinate and have a consistent studying schedule.

Hello @Anonymous,

In order to improve your grades, I would recommend making a realistic plan of your time in terms of how long you want to spend on different aspects of your degree and planning this around your personal life. I would make sure you are engaging with all the content of your course, attending all the lectures as well as any optional seminars or help sessions. You could consider speaking to your personal tutor at university to discuss whether there is anything else you can do. I personally find it helpful to use my feedback from past assignments to see what I can specifically improve on in order to improve for future assignments. Other things you could consider include accessing all the essential and recommended reading and identifying any weaknesses you have and working on those specifically, remember to ask for help from your personal tutor or lecturers if you have any issues or anything you are struggling with!

I hope this is helpful, I wish you the best of luck with your studies,

Katie - Educational Psychology Student
Hi

I spoke with the university academic skills unit, and they were able to help me with ways of writing essays, referencing and creating good habits around studying to ensure that I was able to achieve the best work and grades that I could. I would also suggest visiting lecturers in their designated office hours to ask any questions or seek advice about what you could do to get the best grade and to create the best piece of work possible. These should all help alongside attending and engaging in the lectures and the assigned reading for the course.

Good luck with your studies

Luke - Portsmouth Student Rep

Hey!

I have just finished my first year at uni and I think one thing that helped me the most was really looking through the feedback that you receive! It really helps to highlight your strengths so you know what to continue doing but also your areas of weakness. Possibly even book to speak to your lecturers if you wanted more depth of what could have been done to improve that piece of work!

I think also having a good study plan/routine can be really useful! Having an idea of what you plan to achieve today/ this week and being able to tick off stuff as you go can help with motivation and everything!

Lastly, I would suggest attempting to do as much additional reading as possible! It can really help you understand the topic in more depth!

Hope this helps!
Abby, University of Chichester, First year Ambassador Student Rep
One way is to write critically instead of simply explaining or describing. When writing critically, it is important to write a counter argument. The best way I have found to do this is to state what you think by using evidence from someone else's research, then find differing research/a different theory, one that could argue against what you first said, then find research either discrediting this second person or one in further support of the first person, saying this is why that is actually the stronger theory. This way you are making your point critically, even countering your counter argument, and have shown wider reading on the topic.

Other tips are:
- Make sure your views are all backed up by research/evidence.
- Look into academic skills sessions your university holds and attend sessions.
- Follow your learning outcome. Aim for the 1st, then you are likely to at least get a 2:1.
- Study with others. You can go to the library and all work together. You can motivate each other and give each other advice. Going to the university library is also a good way to get a lot done. Other people working can motivate you to work and being in this environment can help you concentrate. You can even invite other people you know to the library if you find working with others helps you to do yours.

- Make an appointment with your personal tutor to go over all the feedback on your assignments, so they can help you come up with a plan to improve
- Speak to your academic advisor

- If it is affiliated with your university, use Studiosity. They will read through your essay and offer advise on structure, grammar etc.

If you have multiple assignments to do

- the most important thing is time management

* I find if I have a lot of essays or exams coming up at once it's best to have these well planned. To help with efficient time management, make a plan for when to write your essay i.e. Day 1 - Complete introduction on all essays and find three helpful journals OR Day 1 : 9-11am work on essay one 1-3 work on essay two 5-7 work on essay three etc. Something along those lines, and make the plan for each day leading up to the deadline, giving yourself a few days leeway for checking over your assignment, finishing referencing, managing work count etc.

What you can do is as soon as you wake up just start writing, researching, or revising. Do this for an hour or two, have a break, get some breakfast then start on again. Try to work in segments of 1-2 hours, that way you will be able to do more in your day than if say you did 4 hours straight and then were too tired to do any more for the rest of the day.

I hope this helps.

- Rosie
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending