The Student Room Group

I had an accident and I don't know what will happen?

I passed my test a year ago and I rarely drive because I'm still scared to drive around new places. Today I drove up a hill in a car park and I rolled back and hit another car because I forgot to change to 1st gear. I was in 2nd gear and my car rolled back and collided into the front of his car. It was clearly my fault because I failed to control my car but the driver behind me just drove off before I had the chance to exchange insurance details. He didn't even speak to me, he just checked his car, gave me a dirty look and drove off. It seemed like there was no damage caused to his car but there was a huge crack on mine. But I don't know what will happen now, will he make a claim and make me pay for any damage caused to his car later on? Even though I didn't see any? It's honestly just completely shattered my confidence in my driving ability. I wasn't very confident in the first place and now this has completely broken me. I thought about doing the pass plus course to improve my confidence but my parent's are just saying it's a complete waste of money and I should just go out and drive to places on my own.
(edited 1 year ago)
The single most important thing you can do is report the incident to your insurer ASAP even if your don’t intend to make any claim yourself.
Original post by Admit-One
The single most important thing you can do is report the incident to your insurer ASAP even if your don’t intend to make any claim yourself.

What will happen if I don't and we both just forget about it? My parents said to just leave it and don't bother cause the other car didn't have any damage.
Original post by SongBird2020
What will happen if I don't and we both just forget about it? My parents said to just leave it and don't bother cause the other car didn't have any damage.

You must report any accident to your insurer. It’s in your t&c’s.

Let’s say you follow your parents advice and forget about it. Then the other driver puts in a claim. Congrats, your insurer now refuses to cover you and you’re fully liable for the accident.

The fact that they just drove off would give me more concern than if you’d exchanged details. I would not potentially put myself in a very sketchy position for the sake of a phone call.

Let’s say you follow your parents advice and forget about it. Then the other driver puts in a claim. Congrats, your insurer now refuses to cover you and you’re fully liable for the accident.

The fact that they just drove off would give me more concern than if you’d exchanged details. I would not potentially put myself in a very sketchy position for the sake of a phone call.

Ok, So if I was to report an accident to my insurer would my insurance costs go up? And from the looks of it, there didn't seem to be any damage to his car. If there was any damage, surely he would want to get my insurance details but he didn't even bother? I tried to talk to him but he was just angry and didn't even communicate with me.
(edited 1 year ago)
Ok, So if I was to report an accident to my insurer would my insurance costs go up? I tried to exchange details but the other driver was just angry and didn't even communicate with me.

I can’t answer that as I don’t work for an insurer. I think it’s unlikely if you are not claiming.

You need to weigh up to low chance of a small increase in insurance versus potentially getting annihilated if the other chap puts in a claim. In which case you’ll still get an increase in insurance if not become borderline uninsurable.
Reply 6
Did he write your reg down or take any pictures?

If not then personally I wouldn't be telling them. If there's no damage and he just left without exchanging details or gathering evidence then it's unlikely he's gonna do anything
Original post by DTON

If not then personally I wouldn't be telling them. If there's no damage and he just left without exchanging details or gathering evidence then it's unlikely he's gonna do anything

I honestly have no idea, I was in a state of shock, I was too focused on trying to get the car down the hill so I could talk to him, but he just drove off. Maybe he just quickly took a picture whilst I was backing up who knows?
(edited 1 year ago)

Completely agree with this.

OP for all you know, the other driver has taken down your license plate number (either by noting it down or remembered it).

Original post by DTON

He may have remembered it or had a dash cam.

Also it may not be that there's obvious damage on the outside but he could claim internal damage and/or things like whiplash. Not worth the risk when letting an insurer know (but not claiming) shouldn't impact on no claims/price.
Reply 9
I honestly have no idea, I was in a state of shock, I was too focused on trying to get the car down the hill so I could talk to him, but he just drove off. Maybe he just quickly took a picture whilst I was backing up who knows?

A guy reversed his Audi into the mother's car a few years ago but didn't damage it. Took his plate but never made a claim. Doubt he phones his insurance to tell them he selected reverse over first lol.

Either take the chance or don't, only you can decide on it
Reporting it will raise your premiums a decent bit as you'll be seen as higher risk, even reporting little scrapes raises your insurance. Difficult decision, just know that many people avoid contacting insurance.
you must tell your insurers ASAP. you do not know anything about the other driver ( except he did not follow the legal path of exchanging insurance details ).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending