The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shropshirelass51
Congratulations!

Thank you!
Original post by Jen16
Hey,

Is anyone firming Strathclyde? I've got offers from Manchester and Newcastle aswell but want to firm Strathclyde. The problem is the NHS grant doesn't apply in Scotland and i'm not entitled to any bursary from SAAS but would get a decent bursary from NHS in England. Does anyone know of anywhere else you can apply for bursaries in Scotland for AHP degress ?Apart from SAAS cos the bursary threshold is much lower for SAAS than the NHS bursaries. I know the Scottish gov health directorate used to give out a bursary but they have revoked it for AHP degrees now. Does anyone have any more info?

Butterfly goes to Strath so they may be able to help? I had an offer from Strath as well but the funding seemed so complicated that I just went with DMU
Original post by NicolaIgoe1993
Congrats, I Got one too yesterday ☺️I think I'm definitely picking there as my firm!

Congratulations! BCU seems to be making a lot of peeps very happy!
Congrats, I Got one too yesterday ☺️I think I'm definitely picking there as my firm!

Congrats! It's a wonderful feeling isn't it!!!
Original post by JaaySLT
I seriously can't believe I'm actually typing this but...I have received an offer for BCU OMG!!!!! Yay!!! So unbelievably happy right now, it doesn't even feel real to me at the moment...I'm so happy for all of us!!!!

Congrats! It doesn't feel real does it? Mental to think it's actually happening!

You've had to wait an awful long time! Made up for you!

Are we at the end of the offer cycle now!?
Original post by JaaySLT
Congrats! It's a wonderful feeling isn't it!!!

Thanks guys ☺️Iv had 4 offers for Edinburgh Newcastle Leicester and Birmingham so I'm so happy but I'm picking Birmingham purely coz Iv family and friends here and it's 3 years the rest were 3 and a half or 4. Having done a three year course already I don't think I could handle another 4 ha! It takes a lot of people compared to other courses but seems as they interviewed 300 wev done very well I reckon ☺️
Original post by JordanC55
Congrats! It doesn't feel real does it? Mental to think it's actually happening!

I know a few of us are still waiting for DMU, but I think most of the offers have come in.
Getting serious now!
Original post by AmyPilot
NHS Bursary is an online application (then you have to send them bits and pieces like your passport proof of earnings etc - they will tell you what you need to send). Everyone has to apply (and will get) NHS funding - at the very least it pays your tuition fees to the uni and (I think) everyone qualifies for £1K minimum in addition to the tuition fees. I qualify for a larger bursary because of my household income but any additional monies are means tested - there is an online calculator so you can get an idea of what monies you will get. I also get a reduced loan from SFE but don't know if having had previous funding will mean you are ineligible for this part.

Thanks for your ongoing support! Re The NHS Bursary, do you know approximately how long they keep your passport for before returning it to you.
Original post by Jen16
Hey,

Is anyone firming Strathclyde? I've got offers from Manchester and Newcastle aswell but want to firm Strathclyde. The problem is the NHS grant doesn't apply in Scotland and i'm not entitled to any bursary from SAAS but would get a decent bursary from NHS in England. Does anyone know of anywhere else you can apply for bursaries in Scotland for AHP degress ?Apart from SAAS cos the bursary threshold is much lower for SAAS than the NHS bursaries. I know the Scottish gov health directorate used to give out a bursary but they have revoked it for AHP degrees now. Does anyone have any more info?

First year Strathy student here :smile: if you don't mind me asking, are you classified as an rUK student or Scottish? Given that you're not eligible for the SAAS bursary, you're probably not eligible for any scholarships floating about, although I believe there's a number for Scottish students if you fit the criteria. If you're rUK then unfortunately I haven't found anything, as it's very much biased towards Scottish students or fee paying rUK students! May be worth seeing if the finance office can help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhimair
I know a few of us are still waiting for DMU, but I think most of the offers have come in.
Getting serious now!

I'm surprised people still haven't heard back!

I thought they said the 26th of March at the interview! Dunno what I'd do if I was still waiting for them. You got any other offers?
I'm surprised people still haven't heard back!

I thought they said the 26th of March at the interview! Dunno what I'd do if I was still waiting for them. You got any other offers?

Yep, I've got other offers - so I'm lucky.

I was only holding on because I was really considering firming DMU (if they gave me an offer), but now I'm almost certain that I'm going to firm Plymouth I'm actually considering withdrawing - I just haven't got round to it yet (and there's probably some little part of me that's not quite ready to give up on it just yet!)
Original post by rhimair
Yep, I've got other offers - so I'm lucky.

I was only holding on because I was really considering firming DMU (if they gave me an offer), but now I'm almost certain that I'm going to firm Plymouth I'm actually considering withdrawing - I just haven't got round to it yet (and there's probably some little part of me that's not quite ready to give up on it just yet!)

Good good! I would say don't give up cause you might regret it? You never know how you'd feel is DMU gave you an offer - I really wanted Leeds but the second I got an offer from dmu I didn't care anymore. You might be like that with Plymouth, if that's the case then just go for it! However, if not then I'm sure the wait won't be that much longer. :smile:

Thanks Jordan, appreciate the support!

I'm 22 and I have already done a 3 year degree also! See you in BCU in september :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shropshirelass51
Thanks for your ongoing support! Re The NHS Bursary, do you know approximately how long they keep your passport for before returning it to you.

Hi - you are welcome - its been fun sitting on this side of the fence and I am glad to help.

Passport was probably returned in about 10-14 days? Cant remember exactly but it wasn't too long. I know my mum didn't rest till it was back and she did arrange to send it (and the SAE you have to enclose to get it back) via Special Delivery or some such.
Hi everyone, I'm trying to choose between Manchester and UEA, I just don't know which one would be better! Does anyone have any things to consider about either of them? I have an unconditional from UEA if I put it as my firm, but I'm worried about whether there's actually anything to do in Norwich! Thanks :smile:
Original post by 0rangesandLemons
Hi everyone, I'm trying to choose between Manchester and UEA, I just don't know which one would be better! Does anyone have any things to consider about either of them? I have an unconditional from UEA if I put it as my firm, but I'm worried about whether there's actually anything to do in Norwich! Thanks :smile:

I did my first degree at UEA and can honestly say I had the best 4 years there! The campus always has a great atmosphere and feels like a community. It's really easy to meet friends at the SU in between lectures etc. Norwich itself is a lovely city, it depends what you like to do but there's plenty of great coffee bars, restaurants and bars. Chapelfield is the main shopping centre and there's every shop you need there really! I also played lacrosse and loved being part of a society because it's a great way to meet more people and the socials were fab too. UEA also do 'pimp my barrow' every year where 5 students to a team have to choose a theme for their wheelbarrow and then dress up and do a pub crawl basically - it's such a fun day! Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by jess_babeszz
I did my first degree at UEA and can honestly say I had the best 4 years there! The campus always has a great atmosphere and feels like a community. It's really easy to meet friends at the SU in between lectures etc. Norwich itself is a lovely city, it depends what you like to do but there's plenty of great coffee bars, restaurants and bars. Chapelfield is the main shopping centre and there's every shop you need there really! I also played lacrosse and loved being part of a society because it's a great way to meet more people and the socials were fab too. UEA also do 'pimp my barrow' every year where 5 students to a team have to choose a theme for their wheelbarrow and then dress up and do a pub crawl basically - it's such a fun day! Hope this helps :smile:

Ah okay thank you, and is Norwich interesting enough to live in? What's the nightlife like? I'm a bit worried about the fact that it's a campus uni, as it seems to be a bit cut off from everything else! :smile:
Original post by 0rangesandLemons
Ah okay thank you, and is Norwich interesting enough to live in? What's the nightlife like? I'm a bit worried about the fact that it's a campus uni, as it seems to be a bit cut off from everything else! :smile:

Hey I went to Essex and UEA is their Derby rival.

norwich is a great night out, specially tailored to students and there's loads of venues for music and stuff! The campus is nice and there's a good vibe there! If I had graduated from Essex I would've defo applied there (I'm in 2nd year transferring to DMU for SaLT)

essex ex is a campus as well and you become like a little family! You meet people all the time as well!

However, Manchester is sick as well! I love the city and it's got a nice vibe!
(edited 9 years ago)
Il be 22 in October so I'm glad there's someone my age there too! In from Ireland too so itl be a big change for me! Looking forward to meeting you ☺️👍

Quick Reply

Latest