The Student Room Group

UKIP's manifesto doesn't tell me anything

Scroll to see replies

If you contrast this agenda with that of the three main parties you can get an idea of the general vision UKIP have for this country.
First and foremost is EU withdrawal of course, and an end to the "words not deeds" approach of the Lib/Lab/Con who have abused their position of trust.

I concede that their current website is far from comprehensive on policy specifics, but you can view their local manifesto for the May 02nd county council elections here: http://www.ukip.org/media/policies/LocalManifesto2013.pdf
On EU withdrawal, economist Prof Tim Congdon has produced an informative pamphlet on the "three million jobs at risk" lie and other counters to the usual arguments trotted out by Europhile propagandists:

http://www.ukip.org/content/latest-news/2946-europe-doesnt-work-by-prof-tim-congdon
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I advocate withdrawal from the EU because I am pro-death penalty. Bullets cost 50p; keeping prisoners in jail for life, costs the tax payer billions. So the 1st and 3rd point you bring up is beneficial to me.

The second point about immigration should already be a policy from the Tories. It should not be someone like Nigel Farage to suggest its implementation.

The whole point with the EU is that whilst we remain members we are powerless to control our borders because of the free movement of peoples rights which apply to half a billion EU citizens.
So any rhetoric from the main parties on that issue is simply a lie given that they are all pro-EU.

An extra 40% on defence spending? :confused: And how are they going to fund that? :rolleyes:

In real terms this is marginally more than the current foreign aid budget (0.7% of GDP!) which has been ringfenced whilst defence is frozen/slashed.
Moreover while 40% sounds 'extreme' it is really just restoring strength that should have been there anyway, were not for the sore neglect this area has seen while being pushed into all sorts of unjustifiable military operations.

Original post by MetropolisBoy
The matter of the fact is, Nigel Farahagggggeeeeee....cannot be trusted to run/represent the UK.

Which one of the current mob do you trust then?
(edited 11 years ago)
And another point, the whole culture of "political correctness", "hate crime (thought crime)" legislation and so-called "positive discrimination" which has arisen like a miasmic stench around this country and is anathema to all patriotic, free thinking Brits, is something that UKIP are very much against. All should be treated as equal before the eyes of the law and the government, and no matter what the other parties want you to think, there is no shame in loving your country.
Reply 24
From their recently published "What We Stand For" statement of principles:

An immediate referendum on the EU

Take 4.5 million people out of income tax with a simple, flat rate income tax

Scrap all inflationary green taxes and windfarm subsidies and adopt nuclear instead.

Freeze permanent immigration for 5 years

Roll all state pensions and benefits into a simple, substantial Citizen's Pension.

Some of their economic policies are a step in the right direction, but their social policies on topics such as same sex marriage are just pandering to the traditional conservative vote. If UKIP were more central on social issues and were a bit smarter with PR the could be a real threat rather than just an outlier.
Music to my ears, anonymouspie227, well researched. Yet more reasons to vote for UKIP.
Original post by Tuerin
Burke is surely turning in his grave at this dribble

Burke didn't want everyone having a say because he wanted to confine democracy only to the most educated (e.g people like him) like JS Mill, he also believe in the trustee model of representation whereby politicians work by their own conscious as they are apparently more intelligent and informed than the feeble electorate.

I wouldn't be singing his praises too highly, I don't think you can transfer 18th century thinking to the modern day.
Reply 29
An extra 40% on defence spending? :confused: And how are they going to fund that? :rolleyes:

According to something I read in the guardian(?) they would fund the extra 40% by all the money the UK would be saving from pulling out of the EU.

The journalist who wrote this article also went on to say about how they speak a lot in rhetoric because they are still a small party, and so can say a lot of stuff that big parties wouldn't say because of the consequences.
Ukip? Policies?
Original post by doggyfizzel
Some of their economic policies are a step in the right direction, but their social policies on topics such as same sex marriage are just pandering to the traditional conservative vote. If UKIP were more central on social issues and were a bit smarter with PR the could be a real threat rather than just an outlier.

"Economic policies"? Lol. What are their economic policies? An unlimited fine wine budget for Farage? Higher pay for traders in the metals markets? A bigger allowance for sharp suits for MEPs who run EU-protest neolibertarian fringe whackjob parties?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
"Economic policies"? Lol. What are their economic policies? An unlimited fine wine budget for Farage? Higher pay for traders in the metals markets? A bigger allowance for sharp suits for MEPs who run EU-protest neolibertarian fringe whackjob parties?
Ideas like NHS reform, reducing the size of the state, flat tax, energy policies designed to tackle rising energy costs. To say they don't have policies is quite silly.

I quite like them as a a party, hopefully they can drag the conservatives to the right again, so we actually a left and a right again rather than our current. I don't think I would vote for them but that doesn't mean they aren't a useful party.
Reply 33
Original post by Josh94
This is just copied and pasted from the first thing I noticed from 1 section:
· Spend an extra 40% on defence annually,
another 1% of GDP
· Expand the Army by 25% to 125,000 personnel and double the size of the Territorial Army
· Restore the Royal Navy to its 2001 strength
with three new aircraft carriers and nearly 70
other ships, at the same time guaranteeing the
future of the Plymouth, Portsmouth and Rosyth
bases

What don't you understand, its quite clear. This is in addition to their EU and immigration stuff, grammar schools, more prisons etc. In any case they are updating it I think since that was 2010 and the media is likely going to offer more strenuous scrutiny

Well they have no policy on education for instance (where in their policy stuff have you got the grammar schools thing - and what does that actually mean?).

Or welfare.

The tax policy is an economics 101, but doesn't actually say what they'd implement.
Here's UKIP's deputy leader Paul Nuttall speaking on UKIP's education policies at the recent spring conference:

[video="youtube;f3uPb9dISlo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3uPb9dISlo[/video]

There's a lot of emphasis on primary education, but as regards grammar schools, they want at least one in every single town in this country.
The UK's net contribution to the EU is about £11Bn. Ignore, whether if we left, we would manage to stop spending all of this net amount. For the moment it is enough to accept that we can't do any better than this.

We spend about £9Bn on international development. Let us leave out of account that much of that budget is spent in the UK rather than abroad.

That is £20Bn at most that we can spent on anything else.

We currently spent about £45Bn on defence.

UKIP plans to increase defence spending by 40%. That is £18Bn.

Accordingly, he has at the very best an additional £2Bn to do everything else he plans plus whatever he can cut from any other budget.
Original post by nulli tertius
Accordingly, he has at the very best an additional £2Bn to do everything else he plans plus whatever he can cut from any other budget.
One of the major UKIP plans is reform of the way things currently work. If they can infact do that, then current services can be delivered for less, savings without cuts. Its obviously questionable how much it would cost to implement even if they would result in savings.
I cannot understand what UKIP stand for. They have no comprehensible policies whatsoever.

Please tell me 3 things that I can vote UKIP for

You hit the nail on the head there.
Reply 38
Original post by doggyfizzel
One of the major UKIP plans is reform of the way things currently work. If they can infact do that, then current services can be delivered for less, savings without cuts. Its obviously questionable how much it would cost to implement even if they would result in savings.

Isn't that was everyone says?

For a start the transition costs of the reforms cost money, so efficiency-wise the savings wont be in the short term.
Original post by Quady
Isn't that was everyone says?

For a start the transition costs of the reforms cost money, so efficiency-wise the savings wont be in the short term.
To an extent, but Lab-Con are so similar no serious reform is ever going to happen, you are going to need a party off the central line or an true leader to driver any kind of meaningful change.

Obviously but is that really a problem? A government planning for the long term rather than the next election is probably what we could do with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending