The Student Room Group

How fun is uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What uni do you go to?
I go to Wariwick Uni, studying maths and Stats
How often do you go out partying/clubbing?
This term I've been out about once every 4 weeks, before it was about once every 2 weeks. But I know of some who go out twice a week and I also know of others who go out once a term. It's all down to what you prefer, there's more people out here who just prefer quiet nights in that what many think. There's no shortage of either type of person :tongue:
Do you have fun / are you happy?
Incredibly happy here! It's tons of fun and not just from the wild nights out. I participate in their sports clubs, sign up and participate in experiments, visit the bar and restaurants around. Some days are quiet and lonely and some days are so busy with work and other events that you barely have time to sit down for some tea.
Have you made many friends?
I have a couple friends who I probably spend most of my time with working on assignments we have. Get along with flat mates quite well and they're a pleasure to be around while cooking dinners. Sports clubs are filled with tons of people to talk to and whilst I'm only close with 1 or 2 of them, I get along with almost everyone :smile: I'm also lucky to have some friends from school and while we don't talk as much as we did back in school, we still make time to meet up at least every couple of weeks for a night out or just for a wonderful catch up. So basically, I spend a little time with many people but I'm only close with about 3.
How much work do you have to do?
It depends on your degree. As a maths student (sciency student) I have about 4 assignments every week which takes A LOT of my time.. I try to dedicate about 4 full nights to work but obviously I get distracted, and so have to spend several nights locked in my room and talking with a friend on Skype for 7 hours until 5 in the morning desperately trying to finish an assignment due the next day at 11AM. My days are quite busy with lectures and have about as many contact hours as a secondary school student (about 20 hours) but I tend to have more time than science students since I don't have to spend 5-6 hours straight in a lab doing experiments. If you wanted to do a more essay based degree you can expect less time in the lecture hall and more time reading books in the library or in the cafe with a friend if you want to be classy :tongue: I obviously don't know that much about the work load of a Humanities student but from what I see you can expect some "relaxed" weeks and then other more intense weeks finishing essays before the dreaded essay deadlines and spending many nights catching up with reading or other bits and bobs that humanities students do. :tongue:
And what year are you in?
I'm a 1st year :smile:
Original post by lewif002
What uni do you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Swansea Uni.

In first year. First semester I went out about 2/3 times a week. About to start semester 2 and shall be going out once a week/ twice ever three weeks or something. I never realised how much money I had lost by going out so much towards the end of the year.

I have a great time. There are some difficulties and challenges along the way, however I would not let the negative experiences outweigh the positives as I never worked my butt off during A-levels to be miserable!

I have made friends. Some will most likely be life-long friends I am positive. I have made a few enemies as well. But I am proud of this as I know I stood up for my own values and beliefs.

Semester 1 - didn't do enough. Semester 2, I shall do make a change and put in that extra ten per cent this sem.
1) What uni do you go to? University of Birmingham
2) How often do you go out partying/clubbing? Usually once or twice a week: to sports night every other week, and once a week with my flatmates or coursemates.
3)Do you have fun / are you happy? Some of the time it's like the most fun I've ever had, but then is sometimes lonely, because I've never been away from home and my family for this long before. It takes a while to adjust, but I'm getting happier, and love uni!
4) Have you made many friends? I have friends near my accommodation, friends on my course, and friends from my sports team, you'll make friends if you join things and go to the socials!!
5) How much work do you have to do? Technically we don't have to do much at all. There's work we're supposed to hand in, but they probably won't chase you if you don't do it. But then again, you're paying £9000 per year, so may as well make the most of it and do the work!! But with my course (Maths), you can put in as much or as little effort as you want!
6) And what year are you in? First year.
Reply 23
Original post by dp247
What uni do you go to? Northumbria (Poly til I die!)

How often do you go out partying/clubbing? Probably a few times a month. Mainly host parties at my place and just kick everyone out at 4am though.

Do you have fun / are you happy? I'm very happy. There's so much to do beside clubbing too (societies, bars/restaurants to discover, volunteering, jobs etc.)

Have you made many friends? My course has 24 people on and they're my second family. Made plenty of other friends too.

How much work do you have to do? Varies per semester. Currently, everything is assignment based, so quite a bit, but not so much I want to scream.

And what year are you in? 2nd year... on to the placement hunt!

Original post by David Walker
I go to Northumbria University.

I rarely go out partying/clubbing - a) because I'd rather go to a house party, the pub or one or two good nights a month than out twice a week to do the same old and b) I don't have any ID, which is a problem with a slightly baby-faced 23 year old.

I have plenty of fun - life isn't one big party, as I've learnt, so I have learnt to enjoy the other things I do at uni - volunteering, working at the SU, seeing my friends in class/ at societies.

Put it this way, I don't do as much work as I should (although I am trying). I feel that it's because, since I started uni, I have grown to dislike my course (see below), and found happiness and potential to go into other aspects of the science field. If not, I may just work in a bar. It doesn't pay much but I enjoy the work - all my volunteering, including before uni, has taught me that it isn't all about making megabucks - I'd rather be just getting by and happy than a millionaire and miserable as sin.

I am in my second year of Chemistry BUT this is my fourth year of University. I did a foundation year which covered the vast majority of "Health & Life Science" and "Engineering & Environment" courses offered here (which means I could have and wish I had done either Environmental Science or Food Science instead). On top of this, I had to resit first year of Chemistry.
In short - this is my fourth of my now five years here!

I'm off to Northumbria this year, Whoop! Just curious as to what societies you's joined? :smile:
Original post by lewif002
What uni do you go to? The University of Plymouth/Idaho State University

How often do you go out partying/clubbing? Last year, at Plymouth, once a week (sport's club obligation) from like 10.00pm to 1.30am -- at the student union building; don't know whether you would call that partying and stuff though, then at the various clubs we had to go to... Sometimes it was twice a week. The first semester, I stayed inside; I'd join the rest of the flat in playing 'ring of fire' or something, with my bottles of coca-cola. (I don't drink, you see).

This year at ISU, I simply don't have the time or the means, because all the parties are at people's houses, and I can't simply go into a nightclub because you have to be 21...so
I haven't been partying or anything this year. I go to the gym, play badminton, shoot some pool in the SU, play pingpong or water pong on our floor's lobby...or play soccer with a group of Nepalese or throw a Football around. I could go skiing or something...so there's a few things to do.

Do you have fun / are you happy? Yep. I have fun. I am happy. Pocatello can get a bit boring if you don't go outside...but you know...it's still good.

Have you made many friends? I've made many friends, in Plymouth and Pocatello. To be honest, I want to go back to Plymouth so I can sports again. I've missed University Football.

How much work do you have to do? A lot. :'( With American deadlines, it all comes thick and fast...and I'm taking four 400-level classes, which means they want a final project at the end. I'm a history student so I'm always reading all the time, and of my four classes, I'm taking a Pol-Sci class...so it's out of my comfort zone, so I have to work that much harder to get things done....Last year was a bit easier...but there's no light at the end of the tunnel next year...as my entire degree will come down to my third year at Plymouth...so I need to put in a lot of work next year...

And what year are you in? Technically second year.

Replies in Bold.
Reply 25
Original post by Kovu
I'm off to Northumbria this year, Whoop! Just curious as to what societies you's joined? :smile:

I'm joined JAC-Dan (Japanese Culture) and CVGS (Video Games). Last year I was part of the DJ-SOC too. I'd join more, but I don't really have the time/interest to.
Original post by President Snow
1) What uni do you go to? University of Bath
2) How often do you go out partying/clubbing? Never
3)Do you have fun / are you happy? Depends how you define that really. I spent quite literally every minute working - university maths, extra maths I'm interested in myself, extra computer science. But yes, I like it. I like it a lot.
4) Have you made many friends? No. I've got one acquaintance in the maths lecture halls and I get on with my flatmates, but I don't have any "friends" as such. To be honest, with that other guy, I don't know his surname or hobbies. Yeah, thinking about things, that's a bit awkward.
5) How much work do you have to do? Not all that much from the university, but I love maths enough to do extra :smile:
6) And what year are you in? First year.

Yeah, this is a bit awkward :tongue:

What was your offer for Bath? What subjects did you take to study maths there? :biggrin:

What uni do you go to? University of Reading
How often do you go out partying/clubbing? Once every two-three weeks (purely because the work load for Pharmacy is alot and also clubbing ain't my thing, although I'm more of a bar/pub person tbh)
Do you have fun / are you happy? Very happy here, especially because I'm living with friends and also because I'm used to uni life and the fact that I'm learning a subject that I thoroughly enjoy
Have you made many friends? Yes, many!

How much work do you have to do? Loads, this term is very busy unfortunately with deadlines and groupwork, not to mention all the lecture notes to go through.

And what year are you in? 2nd year
Reply 28
What uni do you go to?
UCL

Once/twice a week

Yes/yes

Yes. Loads.

Not a great deal.

Postgrad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
What uni do you go to? Cambridge
How often do you go out partying/clubbing? 3/4 times a week
Do you have fun / are you happy? Very happy
Have you made many friends? Yep, know most of my year in college and regularly see a fair number of them

How much work do you have to do? I should be doing a lot of work, as a medic; in reality, I only spend a maximum of 2 hours working each weekday, on top of lectures + practicals, and a couple more at the weekend!

And what year are you in? First year
Original post by JamesManc
What uni do you go to? Manchester
How often do you go out partying/clubbing? Never
Do you have fun / are you happy? No
Have you made many friends? None

How much work do you have to do? very little

And what year are you in? 4th

How come your answers to 2, 3 and 4? Is it something wrong with the uni? I've applied for Manchester and at the moment its my top choice
Reply 31
Original post by Louisa Webb
How come your answers to 2, 3 and 4? Is it something wrong with the uni? I've applied for Manchester and at the moment its my top choice

It sort of makes sense doesn't it. He doesn't go out or go clubbing/partying so therefore is taking away one of the largest parts about uni.

95% of students at uni go out clubbing. Considering they do that until late hours of the morning and also will have lectures on the day time... Other than food and alcohol, most students don't do much else.

Manchester is meant to be one of the best uni's for night life / clubbing / social life so this person is obviously not utilising the uni to its full benefits. Not saying everyone should go out, just saying clubbing is a great way to make/keep in contact/solidify friendships and more often than not if you want lots of friends you will need to go out and have fun with them in the evenings

Makes sense he is not having fun or happy if he doesn't go out or have friends

Not preaching this - just appreciate clubbing will make you a LOT of great friends. Enjoy your uni experience, get amongst your friends and please go out and get drunk/enjoy yourself with them. It's the foundations of all friendships at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Placeboo123
What was your offer for Bath? What subjects did you take to study maths there? :biggrin:

Got an offer of A*AA [although I came out with A*A*A*A*] in maths, further maths, chemistry, physics. :smile:
Reply 33
10/10 would Uni again

**** your template
University of Bedfordshire
Never
Yeah, I am happy :smile:
Yes, I met a few good friends
I have loads of exams
First year
Would anyone at Loughborough or studying Accounting and Finance like to give an insight?
What uni do you go to?

University of Sheffield

I don't go club, party, or even drink for that matter.

Ofcourse. Going from the smallest city, to a relatively big one, has certainly opened up a lot more entertainment for me. I have already been to the cinema on many occasions and enjoy being able to watch the IMAX experience, it's also nice having decent shops that i can go to easily. To be fair though, i am a bit of a simple person so it doesn't take much for me to be happy. Oh, and the Internet speed is great compared to the rural rubbish i used to get.

I haven't made any 'close' friends as such, however i am a bit of an introvert and in some ways i kind of prefer my own time and space. However i get on with all the people in my corridor and there are people on the course who i do hang around with.

It really depends on the week. I'm doing Aerospace Engineering and in the first semester the average week was probably around ~25 contact hours with some weeks less and some weeks more. We probably have one lab every other week and get given tutorial sheets, online test/quizzes most weeks. I probably should do more outside reading though.

First Year
What uni do you go to? Ulster
How often do you go out partying/clubbing? about once every 3-4 weeks I would say
Do you have fun / are you happy? Yes! I have gotten so much happier since starting uni :smile:
Have you made many friends? Yeah, a couple really close friends then quite a few other friends in my course :smile:
How much work do you have to do? not as much as I expected to be honest haha.. During my first semester the only work I did at my flat was practice questions the night before any tests. This semester however we have homework so I'll have more to do
And what year are you in? first
What uni do you go to? University of Nottingham
How often do you go out partying/clubbing? Once or twice a week but I think I'm starting to prefer bars to clubs because you can have real conversations.
Do you have fun / are you happy? I have some fun and I'm actually really happy here which is something I wouldn't have believed if you'd told me 4 months ago.
Have you made many friends? Yes quite a lot. Two very close ones and several who are becoming closer and then plenty others although it took me a little longer than most to at first.
How much work do you have to do? Not heaps maybe an hour per lecture extra per week (I have 13ish hours a week) plus extra for exams/essays. Essays can steal your weekends away :frown:
And what year are you in? First year and 2nd term is so much better than 1st!
Reply 39
Original post by dalethec16
What uni do you go to? Manchester (uni of)
How often do you go out partying/clubbing?Once or twice a week, usually once midweek, once at weekends depending on how much work I have/how organised I have been. Lots of work, probably only go out at weekend. Little work, maybe twice during week and once at weekends. Finished exams? every day haha
Do you have fun / are you happy? More or less, the stress of work is always there and I do physics so there is usually quite a lot. Weekends are fun but being tired a lot of the time means you do get down and depressed more often. Maybe I should go out less...
Have you made many friends? On my course, not many probably 2 or 3 actual mates. From halls, quite a few! about 10-15 people I would actually call friends.

How much work do you have to do? Doing physics, quite a lot. 4 sheets of questions each week (about 1-1:30 hours each) plus spanish homework as I do that as an option. Also a lab report every couple of months and then exam revision is very busy. Working solidly all the way through exam period with about 3 weeks dedicated revision for my january exams.

And what year are you in? ​1st

University: queens Belfast and university of Ulster
How often to you go out partying/clubbing: Never no time to do so
Do you have fun/are you happy: at the second university not the first
Work: dissertation for the first degree, lots of group work for the second
Friends: 12
Year: final year at university 1 and 3rd year of 5 at the second university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending