The Student Room Group

is it ok to have 1000 calories for 2 weeks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
omg is that wrong? :eek:

Goodness :biggrin: You've made my evening xD (I actually have no idea what the traffic light thingie is)
Original post by Lizzy27
When i wanted to lose weight i didn't worry much about calories, but switched a lot of the calories i would normally eat for fruit and vegetables. This seemed to really helps me lose weight because your body can digest it quicker than processed foods. Also it means that you aren't losing out on lots of nutrition. Obviously i continued to eat other food with proteins in too to keep healthy, i just tried to cut out any snacks for vegetables instead.
However, doing this only helped me lose about 1/2 stone in 6 weeks, so if you are really serious about losing more, and still remaining healthy, then i personally would do a lot more exercise on top of that, rather than cutting down on any more food. Good luck!

If you had maintained the same amount of calories you would not have lost so much weight. By switching to a healthier diet, it seems you reduced the calories you consumed, and therefore lost weight because you were in a deficit.
Reply 22
Speaking as someone who shed 1.5 stone in 10 days through a ridiculous amount of exercise and a very small diet I don't think that it is feasible to only eat 1000 calories. Whilst I lost weight eating about 300 Calories a day for 10 days I had been eating that way for about 6 months and had lost only about 3 pounds- it was only through real exercise that I managed to lose weight. If you're serious about losing weight you must combine it with exercise and be serious about keeping the weight off. If you go back to eating crap after the two weeks of eating only 1000 calories then you will put on more weight that you have lost. Any weightless must be sustainable and you must be cautious that you only eat 1000 calories for a short period of time otherwise it can very easily turn into anorexia.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Do not eat 1000 calories for 2 weeks it will be just bad for you. Do not even count calories. If you eat such a little amount of food and exercise at the same time, you will burn out and will not be able to enjoy the night you bought the dress for. Make sure you eat an abundance of vegetables and fruits and simple, not processed foods. Also, don't cut out carbohydrates. You need the "good" kind (mainly starches like rice and potatoes) to give you fuel to exercise. Divide your meals so that you eat something every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism active. Opt for healthy snacks and again not highly processed ones like protein bars, packaged chips etc. Exercise to keep fit and stronger but do not overdo it. Eating 1000 calories will slow down your metabolism and it is likely that you will gain more after as your body will "fear" that you will not eat and will store much more in order to be prepared. Drink enough water to be hydrated (usually 1.5 litre/day is advised) and remember that you will either way be awesome in your dress:biggrin:
I think the truth of the matter is, everyones body is different. Some will just cut out sweets and sugar out of their diet and lose 20 pounds in a week(I'm exaggerating lol but you get my point) on the other hand others will eat 1000 calories for 2 weeks and not budge a single pound.

I think if your serious about it you can do this whilst drinking LOTS of water. But make sure you don't do it for long, because as a user above has mentioned you can end up thinking very unhealthily about food. You might start thinking "ohh 1000 calories a day and I have lost 5 pounds so far and I feel fine, lets go for another 5"and thats when a problem begins....

Just eat clean, drink lots of water and exercise, you will see a difference quite quickly.
Original post by ivy.98
No!:s-smilie: It's not good to do it long term and when you switch back to a normal 1500-2000 calorie diet then your body will store much more calories and you will suffer from the yoyo effect, plus it will slow down your metabolism

The yoyo effect is b*tch
Eh, 1000 is fairly extreme but still in the safe range. If you move about a lot, maybe get a bit more in. It won't effect you in much of a negative way except you'll probably have a slight lack of energy between meals. I've seen examples of many people losing about 10kg in a month doing this. After initial water weight lose, you'll probably be losing 2-3kg a week. Isn't crazy fast but it's still pretty fast, the real problem is can you go back to eating normally after that?

You'll likely keep the weight off, everyone I've known to do something like this has unless they've started dirty habits again. Of course excercising and eating a bit more is a healthier way to do it, you're gonna be skinny but unfit if you pursue this method but depends on what your goal is. Try it out, everyone is bound to react differently, you aren't going to kill yourself trying it for half a week.
Reply 27
Original post by jamestg
The yoyo effect is b*tch

IKR :emo:
Sorry for the tangent here, but take a look at this sh**

WTF honestly how bad is this?? Think about everything it's encouraging like what even...

That is insane.......................
(edited 8 years ago)
It's unhealthy
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No, no that is just stupid.

Yeeeaappp :L
Original post by Student403
Yeeeaappp :L

You know at first I read it as 11,500 and 12, 450...fast, I was like WHAT? lol

No, it's stupid and shouldn't be encouraged. I hate the internet sometimes, because without a doubt someone who is depressed and desperate to see some weight loss is going to read that and think, wow! Lets try it. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
This is basically self torture.
Original post by ivy.98
wtf they even made something called 'ana religion' and 'thin' commandments :frown: so sad omg, all these young people starving themselves

We studied this in German lol.. Hold on just look at this

"I must weigh myself, first thing, every morning, and keep that number in mind throughout the remainder of that day. Should that number be greater than it was the day before, I must fast that entire day."

This is f'd up propaganda and is literally encouraging 12/13 year old girls to think of their body badly and hate themselves......
Original post by loveleest
OK, I am desperate to lose weight, for an upcoming events in about 6 weeks I bought this beautiful body control dress but my stomach and love handles are bulging :frown:. is it okay to eat 1000 calories just for the first two weeks and from their increase my calorie intake? would my metabolism slow down?

Anything less than 1300 a DAY is starving yourself. When you starve yourself it works for the first few days but your body isn't burning fat it's actually eating into your MUSCLE. Then your survival instincts kick in and you will BINGE. This kind of behaviour can lead to devastating eating disorders and please believe me when I say it's not worth it. I tried to lose weight for 10 years (since I was 9) and I finally lost 3 stone when I STOPPED dieting. Do not hurt your body, it is the only body you have. Do not count calories / develop obsessive eating habits, it can ruin your life. Drink plenty of water, eat healthy (snacks in moderation) and don't weigh yourself. Do exercises you enjoy (I fell in love with running after hating it for 2 years) and lastly respect yourself. You are way more than a number.
Won't you be hungry all the time?
Reply 36
Original post by Student403
We studied this in German lol.. Hold on just look at this

"I must weigh myself, first thing, every morning, and keep that number in mind throughout the remainder of that day. Should that number be greater than it was the day before, I must fast that entire day."

This is f'd up propaganda and is literally encouraging 12/13 year old girls to think of their body badly and hate themselves......

What do you NOT study in German??:indiff:

This is disgusting, or read the 'letter to ana', 'I offer you my soul, my heart and my bodily functions. I give you all my earthly possessions.' no no nooo :frown: and ik the comments are full of 13 year olds who shouldn't be worried about jack ****. I wish they would take down such cruel websites that literally encourage them to slowly kill themselves
Original post by loveleest
OK, I am desperate to lose weight, for an upcoming events in about 6 weeks I bought this beautiful body control dress but my stomach and love handles are bulging :frown:. is it okay to eat 1000 calories just for the first two weeks and from their increase my calorie intake? would my metabolism slow down?

Calculate your TDEE and eat 10% less calories than this number.

Weight loss takes time, you won't make significant improvements in only 6 weeks, but you may as well start now.

EDIT: Removed bad info...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ivy.98

This is disgusting, or read the 'letter to ana', 'I offer you my soul, my heart and my bodily functions. I give you all my earthly possessions.' no no nooo :frown: and ik the comments are full of 13 year olds who shouldn't be worried about jack ****. I wish they would take down such cruel websites that literally encourage them to slowly kill themselves

Err idk haha

And yup. Honestly they sound like flipping zombies. Really sad.. You can literally do nothing but feel sorry for the girls..
Original post by ivy.98

The websites are so toxic. I remember I saw one when I was 13 almost 14 and I was like 'omg, what is this ****?'. They really should take them down, it also glorifies anorexia which in itself is disgusting.

Quick Reply

Latest