The Student Room Group

Is a Macbook worth it? HELP!

Scroll to see replies

If you're only using it for university work, I personally don't see why you'd want to buy such an expensive laptop, when you actually just need a very cheap one.

Still, it's your money... But it does confuse me when people say £999 is worth it when they just use it for word processing and Facebook...
Reply 41
Original post by rayquaza17
I had a plastic one (brand is called speck) and I think it scratched my MacBook! Now, I just keep it in a sleeve I bought from apple themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that sucks! I don't want to buy a case if it scratches it!! I've bought a sleeve so hopefully that should be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless the purpose of a laptop is to look like the coolest kid in Starbucks then it is no. You can get a PC that's twice as powerful for half the price
I've got a macbook pro, bought it via my brother's uni discount thing in 2013, and it's totally worth it!
Getting used to the Linux software is very easy and if you do want Windows, you can get that via Boot Camp.
So, ya, I'd recommend you get a macbook air seeing that it's for mostly academic work.
My Macbook Air is the best device I've ever owned. It's from 2010 (cost £620) and still going strong. So I'd say yes it can definitely be worth it.

Just bear in mind, the extra cost for Apple buys you superior build quality and OSX not necessarily superior power/specs.
Reply 45
On my Mac, wahey! I love it!! Thanks for all the advice guys!
Original post by moooo_
Noooo
They are only worth it if you need all the software(that you have to buy an extra 200 each for)
Even then you can get similar software on other laptops cheaper

If your just using the internet and basic documents don't bother its the same as any other PC but more expensive
Also its a hassle having to convert everything to word before sending it to lectures ( lecturers who told me i NEEDED to buy a Mac , only to find out they don't even have one themselves and can't open my documents!

It has a new way of working to get used too and everything is longer eg,print screening on windows takes 2,keys Mac takes about 3 ( but you will have to Google how to do it there is no prntscrn button and there many ways to take one ) not that bad for one feature but when you discover a whole load of stuff that used to be simple now takes 5,steps that you have to Google it gets annoying

Grab Office for Mac, problem solved
Cmd + Shift + 4 (or 3, or 4 + space bar) = various forms of print screen
Reply 47
Short answer, No.

They may be built well, and macOS is pretty nice but they use last generation components and unless you are heart set on macOS... Windows can meet your needs.

I recommend buying a windows laptop, much cheaper and much better value in the long run, not forgetting that Windows equipped machines have warranty for 1-3 years if bought new. Also the Windows OS gets weekly or monthly updates and the OS is generally supported indefinitely (until the next iteration comes out).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending