Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I'm just in the middle of a personal statement break down. Does anyone know whether at Cardiff they are very strict about personal statement paragraphs or not? Because I really do a lot of things and they are all fundamental to mention since they're what makes me unique, so I can't leave any blank line between paragraphs...does this make any difference? I mean... Are they going to read it anyway? I tried to give an impression of paragraph division by starting a new line when focusing on a new topic, but I don't know if it's enough and there really isn't anything I can cut out. Does anyone know about any previous Cardiff applicant who didn't divide their PS with blank lines but still got an offer?

Another thing I am quite worried about is...which university do I pick as insurance? Cardiff's Media, Journalism and Culture is my firm choice, but I'm also going to apply to Cardiff's Journalism and Communication and Media and Communication because I really fell in love with both the university and the city and I want to get there so bad. Is it too risky to pick another Cardiff course as insurance, knowing that it has almost the same entry requirements as my firm choice? I already know that if I get an offer it will be conditional because my final exams results will be out in July, so I'm really concerned about it.
    Thank you in advance for the help.

Sorry if something isn't clear, I'm from Italy and my English quite sucks, but I'm working on it
    Sorry for posting it in this thread, but I need this specific information about Cardiff; I tried with older threads but they have already been closed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbrizio1)
    Guys, I'm just in the middle of a personal statement break down. Does anyone know whether at Cardiff they are very strict about personal statement paragraphs or not? Because I really do a lot of things and they are all fundamental to mention since they're what makes me unique, so I can't leave any blank line between paragraphs...does this make any difference? I mean... Are they going to read it anyway? I tried to give an impression of paragraph division by starting a new line when focusing on a new topic, but I don't know if it's enough and there really isn't anything I can cut out. Does anyone know about any previous Cardiff applicant who didn't divide their PS with blank lines but still got an offer?

Another thing I am quite worried about is...which university do I pick as insurance? Cardiff's Media, Journalism and Culture is my firm choice, but I'm also going to apply to Cardiff's Journalism and Communication and Media and Communication because I really fell in love with both the university and the city and I want to get there so bad. Is it too risky to pick another Cardiff course as insurance, knowing that it has almost the same entry requirements as my firm choice? I already know that if I get an offer it will be conditional because my final exams results will be out in July, so I'm really concerned about it.

Sorry if something isn't clear, I'm from Italy and my English quite sucks, but I'm working on it
    Sorry for posting it in this thread, but I need this specific information about Cardiff; I tried with older threads but they have already been closed
    Paragraphs don't matter at all, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbrizio1)

Don't bother with paragraphs the ucas code will strip it down into blocks of text, also don't use bold or italics as it just appears as normal text also.The people who read the statements know this so chill regarding the courses..well i guess it would depend on how many people apply to the course. If it's over saturated you might not get an offer, conversely if only a few apply you might get in:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Biomedical Engineering!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got an offer from Cardiff for one of the two courses I applied for!

Social Analytics and Politics - ABB.
    I'm so so happy right now, Cardiff is definitely going to be my firm university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    I've just got an offer from Cardiff for one of the two courses I applied for!

Social Analytics and Politics - ABB.
    I'm so so happy right now, Cardiff is definitely going to be my firm university!
    Congratulations again! . Is it the course you wanted the most ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Congratulations again! . Is it the course you wanted the most ?
    Thanks! Yep! I'm absolutely delighted! After a conversation with my Dad I've now decided that Cardiff is my firm and Aberystwyth my insurance, so I have both of them now and can relax. It'll be interesting to see if I get an offer from Birmingham though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Yep! I'm absolutely delighted! After a conversation with my Dad I've now decided that Cardiff is my firm and Aberystwyth my insurance, so I have both of them now and can relax. It'll be interesting to see if I get an offer from Birmingham though
    I'm glad things are going great for you! Hopefully you will get that offer too .

You now just need to focus on your studies and try to achieve the predicted grades, even though I'm sure you will

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Psychology and I'm from Newport!

Do Cardiff give offers based solely on grades or is the personal statement element a percentage? I'm really worried my personal statement isn't good enough! I've been having dreams I had 5 rejections lmao!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    I'm glad things are going great for you! Hopefully you will get that offer too .

You now just need to focus on your studies and try to achieve the predicted grades, even though I'm sure you will
    I hope so, even though I don't really need it haha
    My Dad was so supportive and understanding though, I'm a little shocked!

Well technically I only need to gain 5 marks more than last year so it shouldn't be too difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoex101)
    I've applied for Psychology and I'm from Newport!

Do Cardiff give offers based solely on grades or is the personal statement element a percentage? I'm really worried my personal statement isn't good enough! I've been having dreams I had 5 rejections lmao!
    They told me they base offers largely on predicted grades and then on Personal Statements I'm sure it's better than you think, I thought mine was crap

Just out of interest, which other universities have you applied to? I was going to apply for Psychology until May.

ReputationRep:
    They told me they base offers largely on predicted grades and then on Personal Statements I'm sure it's better than you think, I thought mine was crap

Just out of interest, which other universities have you applied to? I was going to apply for Psychology until May.
    I think I've read it about 50,000 times so it may sound crapper than it probably is :lol:

I've applied to Birmingham, UEA, Manchester and Nottingham as well, how about you? And what changed your mind?

ReputationRep:
    I think I've read it about 50,000 times so it may sound crapper than it probably is :lol:

I've applied to Birmingham, UEA, Manchester and Nottingham as well, how about you? And what changed your mind?
    I think mine only had 3 drafts before I was happy(ish). I've applied to Aberystwyth, Birmingham and Swansea as well as the 2 Cardiff courses. My first 2 offers (the only 2 so far) happened to be the ones I wanted as my firm and insurance though.

I watched a speech that completely changed what I wanted to do in life and gave me a new passion. Everything I've done since then has only confirmed it. I'll still be doing the same thing but from a slightly different angle.

ReputationRep:
    I hope so, even though I don't really need it haha
    My Dad was so supportive and understanding though, I'm a little shocked!

Well technically I only need to gain 5 marks more than last year so it shouldn't be too difficult
    That's really good though! I really hope you get into your firm

ReputationRep:
    I think mine only had 3 drafts before I was happy(ish). I've applied to Aberystwyth, Birmingham and Swansea as well as the 2 Cardiff courses. My first 2 offers (the only 2 so far) happened to be the ones I wanted as my firm and insurance though.

I watched a speech that completely changed what I wanted to do in life and gave me a new passion. Everything I've done since then has only confirmed it. I'll still be doing the same thing but from a slightly different angle.
    My sister went to Aber and loved it. I really want Birmingham as my firm then Cardiff as my insurance, fingers crossed.

That's amazing how one speech could completely change your future!

ReputationRep:
    My sister went to Aber and loved it. I really want Birmingham as my firm then Cardiff as my insurance, fingers crossed.

That's amazing how one speech could completely change your future!
    Cardiff will be my firm, Aberystwyth my insurance I did like Birmingham, I went to a conference there in the summer and loved the university. Unfortunately I don't like the city. With Cardiff though I love both the university and the city so it's win-win (the course is great too though). and for some reason I do love Wales, even though I'm from the West Midlands

I know! Quite scary but I'm certain about going into Politics now, I never was 100% certain about Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!:-) I'm applying to Dentistry in Cardiff, if I get an offer (touch wood) I'll 10000% be making it my firm choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just applied for Business Economics yesterday. From Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Pharmacy in Cardiff I'm from Bulgaria.
    Not really sure that Cardiff will be my firm choise, but I still really like it as university!

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for Human and Social Sciences <3 YAS

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.