The Student Room Group

Why are Muscular guys stereotyped as douchebags?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
you look like someone I used to know

are you of eastern european origin?

nahh, I'm white british, sorry

also, this is a really old photo
Original post by nverjvlev
nahh, I'm white british, sorry

also, this is a really old photo

no need to be sorry haha

grand take it easy kid
As a girl going into the weight's area (which I do take seriously) some guys can be total idiots. There's a guy in my gym who wears an Olympic outfit which he wears 4 times a week and hogs the same machine for an hour and weirdly my mum has seen him strutting outside a Starbucks in his gear showing off. My quads are bigger than the guys that approach me wanting to use the weight rack I just got to so I can't help but roll my eyes at the douche bags.
The self obsessed, arrogant, generally narcissistic personality they have is really off putting.
Plus the body builder speak "bro", "alpha" etc is so lame and try-hard.
Jealousy.
Original post by i<3milkshake
The self obsessed, arrogant, generally narcissistic personality they have is really off putting.
Plus the body builder speak "bro", "alpha" etc is so lame and try-hard.

It's just what we use when talking to each other, no one is trying to act cool or hard.

Yeah il admit many bodybuilders are self-obsessed, but it is such a bad thing to want to really improve yourself .
Original post by NathanDYEL
It's just what we use when talking to each other, no one is trying to act cool or hard.

Yeah il admit many bodybuilders are self-obsessed, but it is such a bad thing to want to really improve yourself .

Wanting to improve yourself and being self obsessed are very different things. If you want to improve yourself do it in a way that actually is interesting-something people want to hear about, something intelligent. Not just eating and drinking loads of protein and spending hours lifting metal up and down. To me, and others can disagree by all means, it is just brainless and not really bettering yourself at all.
Wanting to improve yourself and being self obsessed are very different things. If you want to improve yourself do it in a way that actually is interesting-something people want to hear about, something intelligent. Not just eating and drinking loads of protein and spending hours lifting metal up and down. To me, and others can disagree by all means, it is just brainless and not really bettering yourself at all.

I don't do it to be interesting to other people, I do it because I find it interesting. Either you like it you don't. Both are fine by the way and I get not everyone is about the same life. I would never force my lifestyle on someone else, i even keep some of the things i do separate from my gf.
There's a few groups of people call douchebags

1) The bros who train together, may or may not be muscular. Can be intimidating
2) The odd wannabe Zyzz
3) The person who people are jelly of. This imo is probably the most common one. HOW DARE have a slightly short t shirt to show off his hard work?

Original post by Anonymous
As a girl going into the weight's area (which I do take seriously) some guys can be total idiots. There's a guy in my gym who wears an Olympic outfit which he wears 4 times a week and hogs the same machine for an hour and weirdly my mum has seen him strutting outside a Starbucks in his gear showing off. My quads are bigger than the guys that approach me wanting to use the weight rack I just got to so I can't help but roll my eyes at the douche bags.

I imagine you mean singlet. He have big quads by any chance?

Original post by NathanDYEL

Classes 2 and 3 for bbers in my experience. In a proper BBing gym, everyone is so chilled and humble cause no-one has rights to show off.

Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated.

It's mindless to you, however as you don't seem to know much about it, do you have any right to call it out?

Original post by drbluebox
I would say that train of thought has more died out, and its more that the guys who are overly vain are seen as douchebags.

As in they just happen to work out, but in reality they often do minimal amounts of work out and take all those protein powders then do the minimal amount of work to have a six pack or what looks like one and act as if they are all bodybuilders.

I know guys who go to the gym every day, some are somewhat vain but none are the type that flaunt their bodies in minimal clothing just to get attention.

There are so many variants of six pack. From the skinny guys, to the man hulks. Your whole definition of minimum is warped. A solid 6 pack takes work to create and maintain. A skinny pack, requires you to eat nothing and lie on the sofa

Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Muscles imply vanity, vanity implies narcissism, narcissism implies douchebag.

Obese implies laziness. Laziness implies... well laziness

Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think it's a phenomenon that has developed out of social media and the internet.

Most guys who train properly at the gym are good guys because any kind of activity like that which trains discipline and sacrifice builds character. You tend to find that they aren't guys who are out drinking all the time, they are usually humble and there's a good community spirit with guys helping each other out with routines and advice and stuff.

However there are some guys who work out who are loud, obnoxious and vain and the problem is these have a high profile on the internet they will be all over social media with topless selfies in the mirror showing off their generic tattoos, they go on bodybuilding.com and try to sound cool and fit in with all the brah lingo. They are also very active on dating sites and unfortunately part of the negative stereotype with women is that most women who have used dating sites have received messages from these kind of guy with their topless selfies, usually written in some kind of illiterate form like "hey baby, u ok lol? u wanna chat? wat u up2 lol". So girls go round saying guys that go to the gym are idiots etc.

The other guys who are serious trainers and decent guys aren't really high profile on the internet as they don't do that sort of stuff as much they just go about their normal lives and jobs without needing to put topless selfies everywhere. Probably most of them have wives or girlfriends anyway so they aren't on the dating sites either.

This. The guys in your middle paragraph are the wannabes but are douchebags. Anyone vaguely serious isn't out getting hammered regularly

Original post by drowzee
By lean, I mean not very big and by slightly muscular, I mean just toned. So they work out, eat right but not always in the gym.

Well dress sense is very important to me, it just means they look after the way they look. Idk, perhaps it's just irrational? Guys with very good bodies like Chris Evans or Henry Cavill have to train very hard and eat right all the time, which is different to dressing well imo. It's just something I really don't value and from my experience, guys like that tend to be arrogant and macho (which I dislike). That's just my perception and I'd ofc look over it if I am proven wrong.

Chris Evans is pretty damn huge just fyi. There's a 3rd thing other than training hard and eating right involved in holywood too. The word is 5 letters long and beings with D

Original post by drbluebox
When I say six pack I dont mean the stereotypical body builder type but the more mainstream ones that looks like just flat bodies with lumps on their stomach where a six pack would be and not noticable very much, sort of like the guys on Hollyoaks have or that you cant make out the lines where muscles would be.

Work hard could still be the minimal amount needed every day to reach it, then barely enough to maintain it since its just for looks, a real bodybuilder would maintain it.

I used to use weights every day when bored, not full on weight training but just a few hours a day using normal weights sitting on chair whilst watching a movie, not a huge effort just time consuming.

That isn't training though. That's sitting on the sofa with a dumbbell?
I agree
I dont think weightlifters are any more egotistic than most other forms of life. The higher echelons of anything will tend to have varying degrees of alphaness, things like investment banking, music, the nobel physics prize...all are about competition, vanity, ego. If someone who struggled with their academia or perhaps with women wants to gain attention from their physique then fair play to them I say.
Some are nice :h:
Here is a reality check from Ceddy. Men who are labelled as “douchebags” are usually well built , confident , witty , successful in business and in social scenarios . Jealousy is running rampant all over the world . Even the women who label guys as d bags are secretly atttracted to them . It’s social science . As far as built people being dumb ? That is ridiculous on so many levels . 1. Exercise physiology 2. Diet and nutrition , 3. Learning about caloric intake and good combinations of foods that yield results , as well as 4. The correct exercises to do in relation to anatomy, and last but not least , 5. The effects/ side effects of supplements on the body . So, no buff dudes like myself aren’t unintelligent meatbags .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending