The Student Room Group

Ex- IB Student (If you ever need help, just ask)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by sooyeonkim

I was wondering if you have any tips for HL chem and econ? Thanks a lot :smile:

For both chem and econ, I made sure I understood all of the concepts well so that I could apply the models/theories to any questions that could come up in the paper. I'd probably recommend also trying to get good IA marks at the very beginning of the course so that you don't have to worry about them closer to the exam. I added some background information on the chem IAs to show wider reading and understanding of the topic. Also for the conclusion and evaluation, make sure you determine whether the error is systematic or random error, and explain how the improvement will change your results (e.g which direction will your results go?). For econ, I'd recommend reading The Economist so you can keep up-to-date on recent news in which you could apply to your exam paper or IA.

Good luck!
Original post by bbbecca1
Hi there! I'm choosing subjects for IB next year. Im considering economics - but I haven't done economics before, it just sounds interesting! Also, would you recommend it at HL or SL? And what's the course about, is it interesting, boring, hard etc? Thanks :smile: (btw my other choices are: HL english lit, HL history, SL bio, SL maths, SL spanish - maybe do spanish HL if i do economics at SL)

I would recommend doing Econ at HL :smile: I started it in IB without having taken it at IGCSE and I was fine! It's interesting and easy enough to understand once you wrap your head around a few new concepts. Like anything there are some hard parts but in the end I really enjoyed the subject. You'll learn about a lot of things: supply and demand, different market structures and their pros and cons, how and why exchange rates fluctuate, how different trade agreements work, how the advancement of women can affect the economy, how development affects the economy and how the economy affects development, how poorer countries often get screwed over by richer countries (and how they often screw each other over actually)...there's a lot to cover but it's not boring :smile:

The only part I didn't like was the fact that I had to draw SO MANY DIAGRAMS...but I got over it :P

Your choices are quite similar to mine and I was alright in the end so good luck! :smile:
Original post by pbunny
Thanks for the tips, there were great. I'm a perfectionist and an organisation freak so managing my time shouldn't be an issue for me. The main thing i'm worried about is that I don't have good study habits as I tend to only study the night before a unit/end of year exam instead of on a regular basis and since it's necessary to study on a regular basis in IB to do well it'll be a hard habit to break.

Haha so am I and it did help :P and I was like that as well, didn't really study until the end for the whole first year but it changes easily especially with all the mocks and all that. It helps if you have tests or something to review at the end of each unit (my teachers did that). Good luck!
Reply 63
Original post by I Like Turtles.
Haha so am I and it did help :P and I was like that as well, didn't really study until the end for the whole first year but it changes easily especially with all the mocks and all that. It helps if you have tests or something to review at the end of each unit (my teachers did that). Good luck!

Thanks! I started school a day ago and so far so good but I really am not enjoying English. So far, i've done my best to review what we've learn't in school at home and hopefully i continue to work consistently as I'd prefer to not endure the immense pressure of having to cram for tests/exams the night before. My school is like yours in that they make you sit an end of unit test after every chapter. So that's good.
Glad this kind of thread exist. Anyone doing/done their Math Exploration HL here? Mine got rejected and I don't know what kind of topic should I take for the new one. It just that everything seem very hard and it feel like hopeless now. :frown: Any ideas and suggestions?
Reply 65
Original post by j132
x

Hi,

What textbooks did you use for chemistry and economics HL? My school has provided us with the Pearson baccalaureate economics textbook - will it suffice or is there a better textbook you can recommend? For chemistry, i've been given the oxford course companion. I've heard that it isn't the best and that the pearson one is better? Can you shed some light on that if you've used either of them? Oh, and do you think it's worth getting the oxford study guide for chemistry?

Thanks!
Hello Everyone!

I'm glad there is a thread like this on here (brilliant idea). Anyways, I'm also an ex-IB student and will be starting university in October so I thought I'd add my name to the current ex-IB students on this thread :biggrin: My subjects were:
-English HL
-German Ab Initio
-Psychology HL
-Biology SL
-Math Studies
-Film HL

If you have any queries about any of those subjects or just anything IB related, I'm happy to help :smile:
Original post by pbunny
Hi,

What textbooks did you use for chemistry and economics HL? My school has provided us with the Pearson baccalaureate economics textbook - will it suffice or is there a better textbook you can recommend? For chemistry, i've been given the oxford course companion. I've heard that it isn't the best and that the pearson one is better? Can you shed some light on that if you've used either of them? Oh, and do you think it's worth getting the oxford study guide for chemistry?

Thanks!

Oh wow I would recommend you using the reverse: that is
For economics use the Oxford Course Companion

whereas for Chemistry use Pearson.

This is coming from a person who got 7 in Chem and Econ HL.
Reply 68
Original post by anniechan514
Oh wow I would recommend you using the reverse: that is
For economics use the Oxford Course Companion

whereas for Chemistry use Pearson.

This is coming from a person who got 7 in Chem and Econ HL.

That's what i gathered from reading reviews. Thanks for the help!
Hiya,

I have just started my IB Chemistry HL course,

I am not very confident with numbers and mathematics, however am able to grasp concepts quickly.

What do you recommend I need to do in order to get a 7?

Also, I would be extremely grateful if you helped me out with these questions.

I don't know how to incorporate the equation into the graph.

Thank You,

Hannah :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by pbunny
Hi,

Thanks!

Hi,

I agree with anniechan that for Economics, the Oxford Course Companion is very useful! I have not seen the Pearson book for Economics though.

I didn't use a textbook for Chemistry, since my school provided booklets for each topic. However, I used the Oxford study guide which I found really useful, since it has useful tables for summary of information. If I were to have used a textbook for Chemistry, it would have been the Pearson one.

Good luck!
Reply 71
I needed help with my Maths IA. I am an HL student. any ideas? advices
Original post by j132
I'm an ex-IB student too and am happy to help!

HLs:
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 7
Economics - 6

SLs:
Eng Lit - 6
French B - 7
Music - 7

I didn't do psychology but a lot of my friends did and found it quite hard, but was probably because their teacher left halfway through the course...

Hi ji32, I'm also an IB student who is taking HL Chem, and considering you got an outstanding 7; I wanted a few tips from you!

I am perfectly fine with understanding/applying the theories of Chem, and can easily solve calculations (stoich, gas laws, acids/bases, energetics); however the problem lies in my speed.

Last year, I had a 98 going into the exam, however because Paper 1 was all stoich/gaslaws/acids/bases calculations (multiple choice) questions, I couddn't finish them in time and ended up dropping my mark down to a 90 :P.
So, I'd like to know, how do you pace through calculation questions?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
I was wondering if any of you have ITGS past papers from 2013 and/or 2014?
I was wondering if anyone has any IB question banks for Geography?
OMG hey!! I so need help with Bio SL. I can't get more than a 75% on a test (I know it's a good grade for IB, but I really wanna get to 80-85%). I've been trying so hard, but I have no idea how to get to the next level. Also how did you study for Bio SL? Also courseworks/lab reports, I have no idea how exactly to do those, it's so hard. Do you have to go all scientific on those?
Original post by nazeemsheikh99
I was wondering if anyone has any IB question banks for Geography?

www.greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com/Geography+IB

It's the website that has a broad range of material + the questions
Original post by hermoine_
OMG hey!! I so need help with Bio SL. I can't get more than a 75% on a test (I know it's a good grade for IB, but I really wanna get to 80-85%). I've been trying so hard, but I have no idea how to get to the next level. Also how did you study for Bio SL? Also courseworks/lab reports, I have no idea how exactly to do those, it's so hard. Do you have to go all scientific on those?

Hey,

So I did Bio SL after doing one year of Physics and we all got 5/6s so there are always ways to improve in Bio SL.

A lot of IB Bio is just remembering a lot of facts and being able to recite them. This will pretty much cover you for Paper 1, some of paper 2 and some of paper 3. If you keep going over the information, you will eventually be able to remember the majority of things that will come up in the papers. Mnemonics are a very good way of remembering things. For example, if you wanted to know the functions of life for unicellular organisms, think MRS GREN:
Movement
Reproduction
Sensitivity
Growth
Respiration
Excretion
Nutrition

My favourite tool for revising biology was a site called Bioninja. I cannot stress how good this site is, it has the whole specification on there and notes to go with them. It also has diagrams, which you need to learn inside and out because you will likely be asked to draw and label a diagram :smile:

In terms of your coursework, make sure you always keep your notes and results neat because it might be taken into consideration for your final mark. I would say with the investigation, you have to be confident with the area science you are dealing with. In your coursework, you are expected to write a bit of background on the area of study, what you are going to investigate, how you are going to investigate and things like that. Make sure you get a copy of the mark scheme for the criteria you have to hit on the coursework as then you can ensure you get the best mark.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by honeybadgerkid
Hi, also an ex-IB student here! :smile:

HLs:

English A: Literature - 6
History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!

Hiya,

I was just wondering, do you have any tips on getting a 7 in maths studies?

I'm an IB teacher, just joined the forum, and also happy to help out! I was Head of the TOK Department and also taught History. Fire away with Extended Essay / Internal Assessment / TOK Presentation / TOK Essay queries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending