The Student Room Group

How do you react when you're dumped?

Scroll to see replies

You scream and shout and let it all out!
Original post by OU Student
Someone did this with me. And wondered why I was pissed off with him.

I guess it's just being in denial
I tell them to do one, then nail several chicks in the next few days.
doesn't bother me, i know others don't owe me their time or space..
Original post by Abdul-Karim
We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Whhaaa?

I=pronoun, referring to oneself
contemplate=to think prolongly
suicide=ending one's own existence

Now put it all together.

What exactly is your issue with understanding this, then?
Original post by pocahontas lol
I=pronoun, referring to oneself
contemplate=to think prolongly
suicide=ending one's own existence

Now put it all together.

What exactly is your issue with understanding this, then?

Cheeky
Original post by Baloney
I'm interested to know how people react when they are 'dumped', the reason I ask is that I recently broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years and her response shocked me, she acted as if she didn't care. Whether this was just a visage to cover how she really felt, I don't know. But it wasn't an easy break up on my behalf, it took a lot of thought and guts to do. (Baring in mind we had been together for 4 years, you'd have thought she'd have shown a little more emotion and fight)

She's a hero, and has played it perfectly. For someone you totally trust to turn around and smash your romantic ideologies right into the dirt at your feet... well, the optimal recourse is being able to flip your love off instantly, realise the person you were involved with wasn't who you thought they were, and not give a crap what they think anymore.

Ask her to write a book or something, it'd be a bestseller: How To Give Zero Satisfaction To Whoever's Dumping You.
I feel sad for a bit, drink too much, then get on with it.
In the past it is usually shock and wondering why it happened, then I became withdrawn, then followed by anger and resentment. Last time it happened to me, I was almost resigned to it and it's gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore.
Original post by Baloney
I'm interested to know how people react when they are 'dumped', the reason I ask is that I recently broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years and her response shocked me, she acted as if she didn't care. Whether this was just a visage to cover how she really felt, I don't know. But it wasn't an easy break up on my behalf, it took a lot of thought and guts to do. (Baring in mind we had been together for 4 years, you'd have thought she'd have shown a little more emotion and fight)

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I was dumped I emotionally detached myself but that's something I tend to do a lot when things hurt me anyway, it's just easy and then you don't have to cry in front of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been dumped once. It came as a huge shock, and I'm sorry to say I reacted very immaturely by giving my friend a letter to give to him (she was his sister) basically telling him he was a pillock.

Put it this way, he dumped me via AOL messenger, and his reasons were, in the SAME sentence, "I think things are going to fast...I can't see this going anywhere".

I mean WTF? It was either going to fast, OR it wasn't going anywhere. You can't have both at the same bloody time. As for going too fast to this day I have no clue what he meant.

I cried for about week. It was ludicrous. We'd only been dating about 6 weeks so it was hardly a long term commitment or anything, but I'd really liked him. Pfft. Ah well, t'was a long long LONG time ago.
Reply 71
Original post by Lulalou
I think some people just choose to disconnect as they can't deal with how strong the feelings are. That's what I usually do when I'm in pain, I suddenly just don't care and nearly nothing can make me care again for a while. Though I've never been dumped. I've only had a few relationships and they have all had quite complicated breakups, one was mutual, and one was dragged out for years, and eventually I just got away from him with the help of my boyfriend at the moment. Though I'm thinking of breaking up with him so if quite like to know the answer to this myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stylish response from your ex. This is the only way to do it to maintain self respect. Generally hard to pull off mind. Maybe she was ready to give you the old heave ho too..
That's exactly how I react when I get dumped. From the moment someone rejects me, I just feign complete indifference and don't show any emotion at all because I don't want to put myself in a position where I'd be even more vulnerable and setting myself up for further rejection. It's not because I don't care, it's because I care and because I'm hurting. The person who is causing me pain is the last person in the world I'll expose my feelings to. It's just a defence mechanism, it doesn't mean your (ex-)girlfriend doesn't care.
i took my first break up badly.... my ex started basically ignoring me for 4 months before hand, put me down, made me feel awful and used for sex- nothing I did ever seemed right, it made me act oddly because i didn't know how to be around him - the rejection hurt me. then on the last day of term he came to me and said "i don't love you any more, i haven't for a while, im sure you got the hint. I don't even like you very much any more." I was devastated and asked what i could have done to be better " Get rid of your jeans and Canada jumper- it makes you look weird and a funny shape." and that I "embarrassed him in front of his friends".
I was in bits for a long long time... did some stupid things- had a year long rebound with someone who cheated on me and the new gf and her mother harassed me and sent threatening emails. took a year out after serious medical issues and a nervous break down.

But now I am with the most wonderful man. I'm confident, happy and do not give a rats ass about either of my exes. Especially the first, I now see what a poor excuse of a boyfriend he was. He was never there when I needed him, he left me alone and made me feel unwanted- im not high maintenance ... but everyone needs some maintenance.... If my current ever left me i would be utterly broken, but then again he says the same thing- so keeping positive :smile:
Original post by Baloney

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty simple. Being upset is completely normal, but then after a while I just tend to have no regrets, because I know that there's a reason why it ended - it just wasn't working out. If that is how my partner feels, then there's no need or reason for me to force it on them.
I've long since learned to conquer adversity with optimism:

Reply 76
@pocahontas lol

Actually i have been in a relationship several as a matter of fact .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Aaah. She'd probably stopped loving you for a month or so before hand, and only broke up now- so she really doesn't care. She probably dragged a dead relationship on, and then broke up. This happens a lot. I mean, she didn't really want anything for the worst, no, but she just couldn't bring herself to love you, so she ended it.
Move onto someone easy. Have sex with them, have sex with anyone, and just have fun and get it all out of my system. Relationships never last, nothing ever lasts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I react the same way as when I realise I've just missed an episode of Jeremy Kyle on ITV 2. At first, I'm like "ahh.." then I switch over to ITV 2+1 and catch up on what I've missed. So basically... I might be upset for a second then something better comes along and everything is fine. It's just a breakup, it's not like they're cancelling the Jeremy kyle show. Then I'd be really sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending