winter_mute
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)

^^^There =P
Apple Store, Birmingham
I'm afraid you've been misled. I just checked with my old boss (he's the head genius for Europe) and he's never heard of that. Did you buy it during the "Back to school" promo?
Poem boy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
13''
BigDirty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by winter_mute)
Did you change any of the configurations? If not It'll be coming from Ireland and should take 2-3 days max. You can track where the package is in your apple store account btw.
Thanks! I was gonna go in store but 1) I don't know how easy student discount is to do in store and 2) there's a printer I want with it that I can order online at a radix low price and don't think I'd get that on store.

Any info to change my mind on these reasons? 3days seems so long ha! Alsooo do I get to pick what time it's delivered?
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BigDirty)
Thanks! I was gonna go in store but 1) I don't know how easy student discount is to do in store and 2) there's a printer I want with it that I can order online at a radix low price and don't think I'd get that on store.

Any info to change my mind on these reasons? 3days seems so long ha! Alsooo do I get to pick what time it's delivered?
The discount will be easy, so long as you have your student ID with you. IIRC your letter of offer will be enough too. Just make sure, as they do different levels of discount. The one you should get is 14%. As for the printer, they can order it there for either collection in store or to your house.

If you want a standard 13" (If I was you I'd get the bigger HD for £40) then you should be able to walk away with it. If not, you'll have to go through the BTO (build to order) system which will have to be sent to your house. It shouldn't be long as the new one has been out for a while.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm afraid you've been misled. I just checked with my old boss (he's the head genius for Europe) and he's never heard of that. Did you buy it during the "Back to school" promo?
Nope, but like I said it's only hearsay so I'll take your word for it, you've obviously got a more credible source =P I paid for AppleCare anyway.
Deema
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My brother has the 15 inch which is fine for him because he edits/ DJ's/ is a gamer, so he needs the screen space. I use a 13 inch which is perfect for me because I use if for basic stuff, documents, powerpoints, music, films, internet. It's small enough for me to carry it around without it being too small that I can't see what I'm doing. Unless you're a gamer/ need it for media I wouldn't recommend going as big as 15 inches.
BigDirty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The discount will be easy, so long as you have your student ID with you. IIRC your letter of offer will be enough too. Just make sure, as they do different levels of discount. The one you should get is 14%. As for the printer, they can order it there for either collection in store or to your house.

If you want a standard 13" (If I was you I'd get the bigger HD for £40) then you should be able to walk away with it. If not, you'll have to go through the BTO (build to order) system which will have to be sent to your house. It shouldn't be long as the new one has been out for a while.
I love that your a fountain of knowledge. Why do you recommend the bigger harddrive? I thought the 320GB would be more than enough? I'm a bit of a techospazz tbh, so I like any input
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love that your a fountain of knowledge. Why do you recommend the bigger harddrive? I thought the 320GB would be more than enough? I'm a bit of a techospazz tbh, so I like any input
Unless you're downloading hordes of HD movies or lots of newly released game, the standard HDD configurations are enough for most people. Plus you can simply buy external HDDs if you ever fill up [=
BigDirty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Unless you're downloading hordes of HD movies or lots of newly released game, the standard HDD configurations are enough for most people. Plus you can simply buy external HDDs if you ever fill up [=
Thats what I thought too. Cheers!

Edit: who is that if your profile pic?
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
The 13" laughs in the face of The Sims 3, I run it on max settings on my last-gen Pro.
*giggles happily*

Yay!
I have another advantage to add to my 'switch to a Mac' list!
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thats what I thought too. Cheers!

Edit: who is that if your profile pic?
No problem =P
No idea on his name, he's the singer in this band:

(Wow, weird thumbnail for the video =P)
BigDirty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
No problem =P
No idea on his name, he's the singer in this band:

(Wow, weird thumbnail for the video =P)
Brilliant video. Might be forced to rape him if I ever saw him
catsss
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Be honest now, did you spill something in it?
Honestly? No. My brother might have, he used it occasionally. But I never did.
catsss
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Deema)
My brother has the 15 inch which is fine for him because he edits/ DJ's/ is a gamer, so he needs the screen space. I use a 13 inch which is perfect for me because I use if for basic stuff, documents, powerpoints, music, films, internet. It's small enough for me to carry it around without it being too small that I can't see what I'm doing. Unless you're a gamer/ need it for media I wouldn't recommend going as big as 15 inches.
If you're a gamer I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac. You can't play most newly released games on it.
Young Spade
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am ordering my 13inch MacBook Pro on Sunday - exciiiiiiited. How long will it take to arrive so I can play with it?
Awesome, when you get it you'll love it. If you have the time, you should definitely learn various key commands. It took me maybe... a week to get fluent with them but it feels natural now.

I have the older Macbook (without the multitouch trackpad) so I can only tap, right click, and scroll with the pad, however the keyboard commands make everything just as fast if not a hair slower than with it.
Mazty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Take your money and burn it. A Mac is a waste of time unless you are utterly PC illiterate or running a server and dive into unix alot.
Young Spade
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
I would definitely agree. I don't really have the time to watch as many movies as I would like, however, I do have two 320 gb hard drives that I picked up a while ago. Storage is so cheap these days and it would probably be economically better to get the base sized HDD (I have a 320gb in mine) and get a HDD for extra space.

You can get a terabyte for under 100 bucks if you look around; with prices like that it's easy to grab one (or something of similar size) and be out the door.
Mazty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am ordering my 13inch MacBook Pro on Sunday - exciiiiiiited. How long will it take to arrive so I can play with it?
Lol you don't play with a Mac, you either surf facebook, write 'a novel' or listen to music.
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mazty)
Lol you don't play with a Mac, you either surf facebook, write 'a novel' or listen to music.
Or record every piece of music you hear. I dare you to find even a medium sized recording studio that doesn't use Macs. Or Graphics companies.
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you don't need the space, then save the money. To be honest for £40 it'll save you trouble if you need to upgrade in the future. The drive they use would cost you more to buy from any retailer.

That being said you can find a USB 1TB hard disc for around £50 now. I'd partition it so that 320 of the drive can be used for time machine, and the rest for extra external space.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (75)
27.68%
No (196)
72.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed