Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahftw_)
    Woah, good luck
    Thanks, I'll need it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music99)
    . どうですか?
    Through school and now University! I would send you a nice Japanese reply but tsr gets funny with a long string of japanese ごめん

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted an offer to study Japanese (and linguistics) at Edinburgh university. I'm so excited about learning it, especially after going to the post offer day and meeting the staff and current students who were all very nice.

Will need to brush up on hiragana and then make a start on katakana over summer, which should be fairly straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    Character wise yes, but that's it.
    Ahh, okay, thanks!

(Original post by seyrose)
    Spoken they are VERY different.
    Chinese is tonal, meaning the way you tone in which you pronounce each word greatly affects the meaning. It's probably the hardest thing about speaking Chinese in my opinion, once you get your head around the grammar it's not so bad.
    Japanese isn't tonal. Japan also has 3 different "alphabets" including Kanji which comes from Chinese. Some characters overlap in meaning.
    My Chinese friend was telling us about some Chinese words the other week, and it was two words that were the same they just sounded different, and had totally different meanings! It's really complex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Ahh, okay, thanks!

My Chinese friend was telling us about some Chinese words the other week, and it was two words that were the same they just sounded different, and had totally different meanings! It's really complex
    It's okay once you get use to the sounds of the language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Ahh, okay, thanks!

It is pretty complex when you just hear words out of the blue, but when they're used in a context it's much easier to guess which one it is (assuming that you know the words already)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambirina)
    It is pretty complex when you just hear words out of the blue, but when they're used in a context it's much easier to guess which one it is (assuming that you know the words already)
    Hi there,

I see you decided on Manchester after all. What changed your mind?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's true haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    Hi there,

I see you decided on Manchester after all. What changed your mind?
    Hey ! Yes I did. Well Edinburgh rejected me so that made my decision a bit easier. Then I had to choose from SOAS, Leeds and Manchester and I liked Manchester better - for the course, the options for the year abroad, the cost of life and the city. I'm really excited to start !

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to learn Japanese, no particular reason. I'm currently learning French... Any great online sites to learn Japanese? Or any good textbooks?

ReputationRep:
    Hey ! Yes I did. Well Edinburgh rejected me so that made my decision a bit easier. Then I had to choose from SOAS, Leeds and Manchester and I liked Manchester better - for the course, the options for the year abroad, the cost of life and the city. I'm really excited to start !
    Hey It's a shame they rejected you, but honestly, I think that if you end up with a degree in Japanese and Chinese Mandarin (or any other combination if you decide to change one of them) would make you exceptionally employable! Moreover, you're fluent in both French and English! That's absolutely amazing.

I'm not sure, but I also think that the course at Manchester for Japanese is more intensive than the one at Edinburgh. After first year, I think the students there are expected to know 600 kanji whilst at Edinburgh it's about 250.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    Hey It's a shame they rejected you, but honestly, I think that if you end up with a degree in Japanese and Chinese Mandarin (or any other combination if you decide to change one of them) would make you exceptionally employable! Moreover, you're fluent in both French and English! That's absolutely amazing.

I'm not sure, but I also think that the course at Manchester for Japanese is more intensive than the one at Edinburgh. After first year, I think the students there are expected to know 600 kanji whilst at Edinburgh it's about 250.
    Thank you !! I didn't know about the number of kanji, that's really good news ! Where and what do/will you study again ?

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to learn Japanese. I've taken some (very) basic courses before, but didn't find the motivation to continue. Also, for some reason, being Chinese, I find Japanese difficult due to the plethora of pronunciations for one single kanji, even though I'm supposed to be at an advantage since some readings are inherited from Chinese...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNextBigMoonFruit)
    I'd love to learn Japanese, no particular reason. I'm currently learning French... Any great online sites to learn Japanese? Or any good textbooks?
    I'm thinking of making a Japanese course depending on how many people are interested .

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of making a Japanese course depending on how many people are interested .
    Well you can count me in. I'd most definitely be interested!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Does anyone on this thread do the Alevel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reubenkinara)
    Does anyone on this thread do the Alevel?
    I did .

ReputationRep:
    Can you share the program with me? He doesn't do his teachings anymore.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.