The Student Room Group

What universities do you 'look down upon'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by starg@zer
Having studied there for my undergrad at their Econ Department. I can confirm that Surrey is top notch. It's also top 5 in the Guardian rankings this year (top 8 last year), if I'm not mistaken.

The times, they are a-changin. :cool:

See the posts below yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James222
no I went to an ex poly and hated it
Kings is the best in the UK for medicine and careers in foreign office

Lol Kings is not the best med school in the country. In fact all med school are pretty much equal? You get the same degree and a med degree from kings won't get you more jobs than someone who has a med degree from like Liverpool or something
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SimpsP
Lol Kings is not the best med school in the country. In fact all med school are pretty much equal? You get the same degree and a med degree from kings won't get you more jobs than someone who has a med degree from like Liverpool or something

true in medicine the uni you went to is not as important but no point even debating that Kings is the most prestigious university for medicine. I never said that a medicine degree from one uni will get you more jobs so dont know why you bring it up
Original post by That_Hijabi
Just wondering

Do people look down on a uni if it isn't Red Brick or in the Russell Group? My friend has 10 a's/a*'s at GCSE and its looking good for AS and A2.

She might do architecture at a uni that isn't Russell Group although she should be able to get into Cambridge, Bath or Cardiff etc. this is because she likes the course better and the campus, who thinks she is wrong (or right):smile:
true in medicine the uni you went to is not as important but no point even debating that Kings is the most prestigious university for medicine. I never said that a medicine degree from one uni will get you more jobs so dont know why you bring it up

As someone who has four offers for medicine, Kings isn't the most prestigious. Oxbridge and Edinburgh are. The London unis are good but not the most prestigious.
Original post by SimpsP

I think most people realise a medicine/dentistry/vet med degree are the same regardless of university. No other degrees have the same entry requirements more or less regardless of university A*AA-AAA.
Original post by teen1234
I think most people realise a medicine/dentistry/vet med degree are the same regardless of university. No other degrees have the same entry requirements more or less regardless of university A*AA-AAA.

Yeah that's the point I'm making. Like I had an offer from Edinburgh, which is mentally prestigious for Medicine but went for Leeds because I thought the course would suit me better. Both were AAA, and in fact Leeds was harder to get into! Med/vet/dentistry are a whole different ball game.
But I agree, the fluctuation between unis for arts subjects etc. can be huge.
Original post by SimpsP
As someone who has four offers for medicine, Kings isn't the most prestigious. Oxbridge and Edinburgh are. The London unis are good but not the most prestigious.

Having offers doesnt make you qualified to asses the reputation of each institution in the work place.
Having offers doesnt make you qualified to asses the reputation of each institution in the work place.

I more meant, as someone who spent a hell of a lot of time researching them all.
Original post by SimpsP
I more meant, as someone who spent a hell of a lot of time researching them all.

You can have preferences of different styles of teaching or campus vs city uni
But prestige is larger than all of that

Must have just come across different groups of people. I'm from up north maybe that plays a part? The london unis don't seem to be as prestigious around my parts, more so oxbridge, durham, and the top Scottish unis.

Prestige means f all in med/ dent/vet. In fact training places dont even know what university you went to. Yes prestige means everything in the other degrees since the degrees are not controlled by the same governing body - we dont even get degree classifications
Obviously Categorising universities is dangerous, anyone who is able to further their education should be commended, university, no matter where you go requires work.

But thinking about it, You must admit that there are some universities that simply can't offer what others can. For instance if you do a degree in Maths at Bristol a typical offer is A*AA-AAA with A/A* in Maths. But if you do Maths at Hertfordshire you only need a C in Maths to be eligible for the course. I just can't see how in three years a C grade student can get to the same level as an A/A* Student as they must first reach that level and then supersede it as by the time a C grade student reaches A/A* standard, the A/A* student has already further their knowledge even more.

But supposedly once these two students have graduated they will have the same level of mathematical knowledge?
none. I'm not close minded.
Original post by SimpsP
Yeah that's the point I'm making. Like I had an offer from Edinburgh, which is mentally prestigious for Medicine but went for Leeds because I thought the course would suit me better. Both were AAA, and in fact Leeds was harder to get into! Med/vet/dentistry are a whole different ball game.
But I agree, the fluctuation between unis for arts subjects etc. can be huge.

Yeah, i applied for plymouth for dentistry- people outside of med/dent probably wouldnt believe its AAA. And i got A*A*A in my a levels, youre right its completely different.
Not just the arts. All stem degrees are worth different amounts depending on the uni-doesnt apply for our courses though
I think it's a bad idea to 'look down upon' any university. It's fair enough to choose which uni you want to go to, and if your decision's based solely on 'prestige' (bad idea) then that's your decision. Different unis are better for different courses, and if someone has graduated from any university, they will have worked very hard, so it's unfair to look down on them because they didn't attend the 'right' university.
Original post by the mezzil
The Guardian league table means nothing.

Then what is? The socially entrenched notions of which universities are traditionally good? Get on with the times.

The snobbery and lack of need to explain oneself in this thread is too damn high! :biggrin:
Then what is? The socially entrenched notions of which universities are traditionally good? Get on with the times.

The snobbery and lack of need to explain oneself in this thread is too damn high! :biggrin:

The Guardian table is a joke though. Surrey is certainly not better/more prestigious than LSE.
none cuz i ain't a prick

League tables mean nothing, least of all the Guardian. You do know what the Guardian et al base their "results" from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending