The Student Room Group

Wanting to do Clinical Psychology

I would like to do clinical psychology eventually at university and I read that Hull is the only place in the country which offers a clinical doctorate course integrated with the undergraduate psychology degree. I guess that's really good? What would the normal procedure of becoming a clinical psychologist be? Would the course at Hull include doing my own work experience?

Scroll to see replies

I believe Hull do indeed take a few of their top graduates and enter them directly into their d.clin.psych, however, that would mean spending 6 years in Hull. I'm not really sure about their requirements about that though.

To be honest, I don't think it would be worth going to Hull purely because of their integrated course. It's not a very nice place.

The normal procedure of becoming a Clinical Psych is graduating with a 2.1 or first, spending a few years desperately clutching at graduate jobs if you're lucky, (i.e. HCA, IAPT work, AP work if you can get it) then applying for the d.clin.
Reply 2
Even though the City of Hull was voted the worst in Britain that course at Hull sounds excellent, especially if they take on the graduates straight from the degree. Medical students generally spend 6+years at their uni.

To get onto clinical experience is apparently all that matters. You need at least a 2/1 to get onto a doctorate in clinical but whilst your at uni make sure you volunteer at a mental health charity or Hospital of some sort as it will improve your chances of getting onto the course quicker, and if not that getting a job as a Pyschology or research assistant somewhere.

I've personally just graduated but have heard how competitive it is but am hedging my bets by taking a Masters whilst working gaining relative experience and voluteering. Just to cover all my bases!
Reply 3
20 applicants per place every year on the D.Clin course, so yeeeah its somewhat competitive.

Going to Hull purely because they take some of the graduates straight into d.clin would be veeeery risky. If you're not one of the lucky ones in your year, its likely to make things harder to then apply as a normal candidate cos a degree from Hull isn't one of the best...

Find a uni with a good department and where you would feel happy, graduate with a kick ass degree and go get experience. The majority of people starting a Psych course think that they want to go on to be a Clinical Psychologist and the vast majority of them actually discover that they much prefer other things and other specialities. Taking a course like that would close off you options if you find that you actually prefer something else when you learn about these things in depth.
I didn't go to Hull and most of the clinical psychologists I have worked never did either.

That said I know two clinical psychologists that did the direct entry pathway and they have mixed feelings. Although they qualified young (23ish) and started earning sooner, they missed out on several of the experiences that the rest of us got (average age of qualification for a clinical psych in Britain is 30). One of them said it was a bit like those children that get into Oxford at 13, where they do the same material as the older undergraduates but are very much aware they are having a very different experience.

In some ways you have nothing to lose. Hull itself isn't a bad uni to study at, if you don't get on the direct access you can do it like the rest of us. Just remember to plan your experiences and work on your CV wherever you go.
20 applicants per place every year on the D.Clin course, so yeeeah its somewhat competitive.

Its really not that competitive. Look at the statistics here. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicNumbers.html

Its more like 4 applicants for every place.
Have a look at Kent, they do a Psychology degree that has a heavy emphasis on the Clinical side (they might not be the only people to offer this?) which might a) satisfy your thirst for clinical stuffs and b) give you a slightly easier time trying to get into a work experience position.
Lord Asriel
Its really not that competitive. Look at the statistics here. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicNumbers.html

Its more like 4 applicants for every place.

I think that's a bit misleading. Just to clarify:

Looking at the numbers, you have 15 applications per place, however this is taking into account the fact that people generally apply to about ~3-4 courses each. So, increase these chances by 3-4x to get your figure.

However, overall, 1 in 4 get a place somewhere.

Just thought I'd clarify just in case someone read that and thought "Ooh, 1:4 chance? Oh and I'll apply to 4 places! I'm pretty much guaranteed a place!"
bikipip
NOOOOO don't do it! I know someone who did it for similar reasons to you and didn't get through and now they are stuck with a psychology degree from Hull (when they could have gone to a better uni) and are finding it impossible to get into clinical anywhere else!

It doesn't work how you'd think. At the end of year 2 they select the best students (based on exam results) and these students do 3rd year with 'clinical options' and then go on to do clinical psych. When my friend was there only 8 students were selected, I think it was out of a year group of 200 or more. People with firsts got rejected. Also the second year exams are essay based so you could argue that the results rest slightly on luck and the examiner marking your papers!

Seriously go to the best uni you can get into!

Seems a bit harsh on Hull's Psychology department. Hull's pretty well respected for Psychology, and ranks well on league tables for it. 17th out of 102 on Times is good schtuff.
Maybe its because I'm going to Hull but I have to say, after making a departmental visit last term, it was by far the friendliest university I visitied and the course sounded really interesting. The tutors were friendly and really enthusiastic and I just had to have it as a first choice.
I spent a couple of days in Hull and the area around the uni is really nice. I was in the city at night and didn't see any signs of crime or violence of any description.
I think Hull suffers a bit from being up North where there are a lot of Red Bricks and therefore loses a bit of rep because of that but look at the league tables and Hull scores really well in a lot of subjects.
In the Times table for Psych, it is 16th or 17th this year overall and only really loses out because of lower entry standards and Research quality and as an undergrad I'm not particularly bothered by this because I'm more concerned about teaching standards and if the lecturers are doing first rate research that's fantastic but it must take time away from the best teaching. (believe Bristol have recently had some students complain about lecturer availability, etc, because they are too busy researching or something).

Hull also has excellent links with places that you can do voluntary work connected to psych and this is what gives grads such good employment opportunities in comparision with many other unis (including Red Bricks, etc.
I come from near Hull and isn't exactly the nicest place in the world :shakehead:

However, go there if you want to do that course, just research it thoroughly, as well as other universities and go to the one that will be best for you. Most courses have have an option to go on to something else that is extremely competitive usually means that only a tiny number of people get in, and most people end up with the usual degree, so if you wouldn't be willing to finish with a degree from Hull, don't go there on the off-chance that you will get into the Clinical Psychology course.
Reply 11
Hey!

I know this reply is super-late, but I just thought I'd reply in case anyone reads this thread again in the future and wants to know. You can also get on the Hull doctorate by going to York for your undergraduate psychology course. They take about 50:50 people Hull:York, although the doctorate itself is in Hull.

You apply slightly differently - in your second year you hand in an application form (asking about grades and experience and why you're interested), they give you advanced modules in clinical psychology in your third year if you're chosen (usually 12 people chosen from about 20-30 applicants), then at the end of your third year you're interviewed properly to get on the course (only people who got on the modules are interviewed though).

If you're successful, you might be given a year out to spend getting experience or a job for a year within York Mental Health, with a promise of the doctorate to start the following year (i.e. you end up taking seven years to qualify instead of six). Sometimes people get on straight away so it only takes 6 years, but if you go through York, it more often takes 7 years. It's still competetive like if you were going straight throught Hull. However York ranks higher up than Hull on the league tables so if you're panicked about taking a risk by going to Hull but not getting on the course, it could be considered a better back-up to have a degree from there for when applying to other doctorates in the future.

Either way, both universities are great, and if you stick with it and do lots of experience and show passion for it then you'll get on a course somewhere eventually. Good luck! Feel free to message me for more information.
Haggy

Hi, what work experience did you have when you got on the doctoral course?
Reply 13
~ Mandy
Hi, what work experience did you have when you got on the doctoral course?

Hi Mandy!

Well my experience included several years paid work as a personal carer, some non-clinical work within a learning disabilities team, a while working as a volunteer with The Samaritans, work as an assistant in a special needs school, work teaching in a mainstream school abroad in a separate group for children with learning difficulties, volunteer work in a social club for psychiatric inpatients, and more paid work as a carer. I know others who worked as nursing assistants, who ran teaching/training for people on mental health in the community, and lots of other things. Basically they're looking for signs of committment to clinical realms and signs that you can work with people in a caring role. The difference in what the Hull course is asking for compared to other courses is that it wants indicators that you have potential and interest so it can help you develop your skills rather than it needing you to have already developed them in, for example, an assistant post. The Hull course just has an even steeper learning curve for its trainees!

I'd really really recommend volunteering with the Samaritans as good work experience if you're thinking of doing Clinical at Hull. They need volunteers and you use lots of the skills that are used in Clinical. This is DEFINITELY not me saying just try the Samaritans only for your own clinical experience - it's a fantastic charity that needs volunteers who are going to be dedicated to it. However, if you're looking for volunteer opportunities already then I'd recommend helplines as particularly worthwhile for both you and them.

The Hull Clinical Psychology website (http://www2.hull.ac.uk/pgmi/cmr/clinicalpsychology/programmesofstudy/clinicalpsychologydoctorate.aspx) has information on things they like you to have as work experience, so it's worth taking a look at that too since everyone's experience is different!

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 14
Oh also just realised you're completely not applying for Hull Mandy, sorry for directing that huuuuuge post at you! Hopefully helpful for people less qualified than yourself though.
Don't worry about it, I am hoping to start volunteering with the Samaritans so it's good to know it will be a useful experience :smile:
Reply 16
Hi, I Graduated from Hull last year in Psychology with a 2:1 (67%).
Just to clarify, Hull is by far not the worst place in Britain, it's much better than some places I have been. So I question the narrow minded - ness of GodspeedGehenna, not a good trait for someone wanting to be in clin psych.
I started a psych degree at Sheffield Hallam and disliked it so i guess i'd not recommend going there, I felt it wasn't particularly friendly and there was little interest in students, more of a cash cow kind of situation. Plus that course also ranks poorly.
I suppose i'm posting this so that anyone reading does not get put off an excellent and friendly course at Hull (which does rank high in the league tables) because of people who have never been and know little of the course. At least take a visit to the open day.
I am looking to get into Clinical Psychology and currently work as a research assistant in the NHS and also with Hull Samaritans, which is a great place to be.
**LauraH**
So I question the narrow minded - ness of GodspeedGehenna, not a good trait for someone wanting to be in clin psych.

Then it's a good thing I wouldn't touch clin psych with a 10 foot pole. :top:
Reply 18
So why do you feel the need to advise people on something you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, and somewhere you clearly no nothing about.
**LauraH**
So why do you feel the need to advise people on something you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, and somewhere you clearly no nothing about.

I wouldn't stick my face into a combine harvester. Similarly, I wouldn't recommend others do it either.

Just because I don't want to do something does not mean I cannot advise for/against it.

Quick Reply

Latest