The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Getting worried about Accomomdation

Basically I made uni of southampton my firm choice in Febuary and applied for accommodation about the 7th of March. Got my results and have enrolled, but my accommodation application status is still only 'submitted' - still even waiting for it to be 'processing' so that i know their atleast considering my application. Surely early march is early enough to get my first choice in the Glen Erye halls?

I've heard that some people have already been offered places in the glen erye halls :|. Starting to get really worried since 'im gana struggle to live on my own at first (coz im a homey person, close to family etc) and really liked the look of the rooms - looked most homely and spacious etc.

Just wonderin wot other southampton uni people are finding and wot you think is the likelyhood now of getting my first choice? or am i over-fretting here :P Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try posting in the Southampton uni forums and you might be able to get an idea of how other people's applications are going.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi,

I am in the exactly same situation as you! I applied to Glen Eyre around early March time and have satisfied my conditions yet my application is also still on 'submitted'. Hopefully we will receive some news soon...
mine still says submitted too, lots of people are in the same boat.. a girl said she rang up and they told he it should be fixed within a week i think
Reply 4
Same here as well! (Though I applied in late July!)
I'm a little worried about it saying that a lot of people are gonna have to share this year.... at first anyway...
People! First things first, don't worry. This happened last year - everyone firmed will get accom. It's done in batches, and the batch with you in may simply not have been done yet. You have another month before you really need to worry. And yes, some of you will be twinned for the first few weeks or so, but you pay less rent during that period because of that, and it's usually sorted quickly.
Reply 6
omicronlyrae
People! First things first, don't worry. This happened last year - everyone firmed will get accom. It's done in batches, and the batch with you in may simply not have been done yet. You have another month before you really need to worry. And yes, some of you will be twinned for the first few weeks or so, but you pay less rent during that period because of that, and it's usually sorted quickly.

Wot do u mean by twinned? surely there is only 1 bed in each room! :confused: And wen u say batches - does that still mean that the people with firm will all get their FIRST choice? coz i did apply on the 8th of March ...
it says on the website it isnt on a first come first served basis, so it doesnt matter if you apply on the 8th of march or the 20th august so long as you applied before the deadline 31st august.

im in the same situation although im based in portsmouth for nursing, so im convinced we'll be the last to know. x
sorry i meant 1st august.x
Reply 9
nbee
Wot do u mean by twinned? surely there is only 1 bed in each room! :confused: And wen u say batches - does that still mean that the people with firm will all get their FIRST choice? coz i did apply on the 8th of March ...

Twinned accomodation happens in the halls where rooms are big enough to fit two single beds in, e.g. Chamberlain halls. You're twinned with somebody of the same sex and each of you is designated either twin 1 or twin 2.

After the accommodation service finds a spare room (after people don't turn up and whatnot) they will relocate twin 2 and remove the second bed. Twin 1 will then have the room to themselves.

The advantages include a good mate if you get on with your roomie, cheaper hall fees.

Disadvantages are that if you're twin 2 and you get moved to another corridor/halls after a few weeks you've got to make a new set of friends because you're no longer living with the folks you spent much of freshers with. This could be seen as an advantage aswell.

If southampton was your firm then you're guaranteed a place in halls, you're not guaranteed your first choice though!
Reply 10
Shebzski
Twinned accomodation happens in the halls where rooms are big enough to fit two single beds in, e.g. Chamberlain halls. You're twinned with somebody of the same sex and each of you is designated either twin 1 or twin 2.

After the accommodation service finds a spare room (after people don't turn up and whatnot) they will relocate twin 2 and remove the second bed. Twin 1 will then have the room to themselves.

The advantages include a good mate if you get on with your roomie, cheaper hall fees.

Disadvantages are that if you're twin 2 and you get moved to another corridor/halls after a few weeks you've got to make a new set of friends because you're no longer living with the folks you spent much of freshers with. This could be seen as an advantage aswell.

If southampton was your firm then you're guaranteed a place in halls, you're not guaranteed your first choice though!

Sounds trash to me :frown: - I especially like my own space and i would hate to be left in limbo ... GREEAAAATTTT can't bloody wait.
Thanks for info tho
Reply 11
Don't worry about it nbee, you said you were firm right? The Accommodation service guarantees AN OFFER (whether it be your first preference or not) if you make Soton your firm or insurance. Ok so insurance students are definitely being twinned, and I was warned that there are a handful of firm students being twinned too, but they have been students who have asked for catered at Glen.

As long as you've been confirmed as a student at the uni, applied before 1st August and definitely submitted an application, I'd sit tight and wait patiently. Like someone said, it's being done in batches over the next couple of weeks - just make sure you check your account and accept as soon as you're made an offer :smile:
Reply 12
you dont always get your first choice though because i applied really early in march and i got my second choice. but as others have said as long as southampton was your first choice you will definately get a place in halls. my status didnt change from submitted to processing until the actual contract offer came though so just keep checking the contracts section on the accommodation wedsite.
Reply 13
Sarah H
Don't worry about it nbee, you said you were firm right? The Accommodation service guarantees AN OFFER (whether it be your first preference or not) if you make Soton your firm or insurance. Ok so insurance students are definitely being twinned, and I was warned that there are a handful of firm students being twinned too, but they have been students who have asked for catered at Glen.

As long as you've been confirmed as a student at the uni, applied before 1st August and definitely submitted an application, I'd sit tight and wait patiently. Like someone said, it's being done in batches over the next couple of weeks - just make sure you check your account and accept as soon as you're made an offer :smile:

Thanks for reply :wink: Put my mind at ease somewhat. Just heard someone from school of civil (same as me) has got their accommodation 'processing' so atleast mine should change soon :biggrin:
Reply 14
nbee
Thanks for reply :wink: Put my mind at ease somewhat. Just heard someone from school of civil (same as me) has got their accommodation 'processing' so atleast mine should change soon :biggrin:

Yeah it should do - let us know how you get on!
Reply 15
Sarah H
Yeah it should do - let us know how you get on!

Hey, status has changed to 'Processing 2' - do u no wot the number 2 is all about?

Thanks, Nat.
Reply 16
nbee
Hey, status has changed to 'Processing 2' - do u no wot the number 2 is all about?

Thanks, Nat.

They haven't found a match for your first choice and now looking at 2nd :smile:

Btw, if they don't match any of your choices, it'll go to unmatched on your app. Don't worry much about it, they'll try find a room that meets closest to your preferences, you'll defs be guaranteed a room.
Reply 17
Sarah H
They haven't found a match for your first choice and now looking at 2nd :smile:

Btw, if they don't match any of your choices, it'll go to unmatched on your app. Don't worry much about it, they'll try find a room that meets closest to your preferences, you'll defs be guaranteed a room.

Abit dissapointed - was looking forward to those squash courts/gym/shop on site etc... Small halls are my second choice :|.
This whole process smells of first come first serve according to wen your school finalises your place x(. Why should i be penalised for their speed - :|

Very much appreciate your feedbk tho - u seem well informed :yep:
Reply 18
nbee
Abit dissapointed - was looking forward to those squash courts/gym/shop on site etc... Small halls are my second choice :|.
This whole process smells of first come first serve according to wen your school finalises your place x(. Why should i be penalised for their speed - :|

You'll learn soon enough that some Schools are a bit pants with organisation (worse when you're between Schools. ML and Maths do not communicate at all!)...you shouldn't worry though, there's pros and cons to each hall :wink:
nbee

Agreed. They say it isn't but it really is unfair. Seems to depend on your schools speed so you are automatically penalised depending on your subject. Pretty sucky system if this is the case.

Latest

Trending

Trending