The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
j00ni
HEALTH WARNING: people who assume posts are always a game of one-upmanship avert your eyes

yikes! never realised how good we have it here in Preston, what with pretty much daily consultant-led teaching sessions, 2+ ward rounds a day available to us, and no more than 7 to a firm! (in fact this semester it's 7 to a department!!)

Not to mention rarely being expected before 9 :smile:

It depends where you end up. I wanted to do an 'in' firm and an 'out' firm, which I got. In firms are always more student dense... But out firms... Whole different kettle of fish. My friend is currently at Colchester and rather than a consultant having 3 students, she as a single student has 3 consultants! The 'problem' there is she is convinced that, despite putting in reasonable hours, they all think she's skiving!
Reply 2061
Helenia
we went off to do some clerking/examining before "protected lunchtime" at 12:30 (does anywhere else have this?)

The ward I'm currently on have worse than protected meal time - the patients also get protected rest time - from 12-3pm (well, I guess it's good for the patients!) Bloody pain the the arse, but sister scares the living daylights out of me, so not locking horns over that one!
Fluffy
The ward I'm currently on have worse than protected meal time - the patients also get protected rest time - from 12-3pm (well, I guess it's good for the patients!) Bloody pain the the arse, but sister scares the living daylights out of me, so not locking horns over that one!

Yeah, quite a lot of wards have that too, they turn off all the lights and everything. And some of the sisters are terrifying so I don't want to try and cross them too much over that. We usually have afternoon lectures etc in that time though, so it's not too much of a problem except on days like today.

Elles - protected for the patients - we all have to be "food aware" and ensure all patients are not interrupted during mealtimes to "optimise nutritional status." It's a fair point, but also a pain in the arse.
I haven't come accross this yet, but then I spend most of my time when I am in the hosptal on masu so it is always hectic!
Helenia
I generally find that the fewer students there are, the nicer they are - there was one guy who tore our whole seminar group to shreds one afternoon, and then when I saw him in clinic the next morning was perfectly pleasant. Fitting 6 students in any of our cubicles is just a nightmare, I'm not surprised the consultants (and the patients!) get stressed!

My star trick at the moment is to look around and try and notice something that's not immediately obvious and ask about it - then they are happy that you're being observant and that sometimes saves you from the nastier questions!

I've had a lazy day today - we didn't have anything organised for us, as a)the firm was on take, and b)all the MBPhD students had some special day, so us mere mortals didn't get a normal timetable. We arranged for an SpR to teach us at 11:30 but he didn't show, so we went off to do some clerking/examining before "protected lunchtime" at 12:30 (does anywhere else have this?) Then I couldn't be arsed to hang around and wait for rest period to end, so I went shopping for my panto costume. Can't believe my first attachment is over!

everywhere has protected lunch hours. never heared of protected rest period. its stupid and dangerous. If patients are so well that they can be left entirely for 4 hours then they should be at home. its not like we set out to pester them every few hours for fun.

Soon you'll realise protected hours are a bit of a god send. a time when you are free from those hastles on the ward like bleeding, can catch up on some TTOs etc.
You'll also learn that 'protected lunch hour' works both ways. Its in most hospitals protected 'non-bleep' hour too.
Reply 2065
Helenia
Elles - protected for the patients - we all have to be "food aware" and ensure all patients are not interrupted during mealtimes to "optimise nutritional status." It's a fair point, but also a pain in the arse.

I find it's a good opportunity to find a patient who struggles with meals, and help them/chat at the same time. Saves the nurses/HCAs a job (or prevents the pt going hungry), gives you a good opportunity to assess their physical capabilities and also makes them more amenable to being prodded later
I just got an offer from Birmingham today!

Do i qualify to join TSR meds society? :biggrin:
cowsgomoo
I just got an offer from Birmingham today!

Do i qualify to join TSR meds society? :biggrin:

congrats :smile: i think there is a rule that you actually have to have started though i am not cirtain :smile:
Jamie
everywhere has protected lunch hours. never heared of protected rest period. its stupid and dangerous. If patients are so well that they can be left entirely for 4 hours then they should be at home. its not like we set out to pester them every few hours for fun.

Soon you'll realise protected hours are a bit of a god send. a time when you are free from those hastles on the ward like bleeding, can catch up on some TTOs etc.
You'll also learn that 'protected lunch hour' works both ways. Its in most hospitals protected 'non-bleep' hour too.

Unfortunately they're not.... they make life hell. Not only can you not see your patients, you then don't get your jobs done. And then protected rest time merges with visiting, and then teatime and so on. I'm also yet to experience 'protected lunch/teaching'. A weekend shift during which you do not eat or drink anything either day (9am til 9 or more likely 10pm) isn't great fun. My Na is often probably elevated, and I'm certainly regularly classed as oligouric or nil by mouth!
joyabbott
Unfortunately they're not.... they make life hell. Not only can you not see your patients, you then don't get your jobs done. And then protected rest time merges with visiting, and then teatime and so on. I'm also yet to experience 'protected lunch/teaching'. A weekend shift during which you do not eat or drink anything either day (9am til 9 or more likely 10pm) isn't great fun. My Na is often probably elevated, and I'm certainly regularly classed as oligouric or nil by mouth!

like i said, i haven't experienced a 'protected rest period' the protected lunch hour yes. Its handy. but if they knocked the whole afternoon off that'd be hell.

My 2most difficult bleeders got central lines over the weekend. My god does it save time! Loving it.

And yeh, I've noticed the effect of 8-8 sans a drink (bar the filthy sludge they call coffee) has!
randdom
congrats :smile: i think there is a rule that you actually have to have started though i am not cirtain :smile:

yup, have to actually be a medic/doctor.
incidentally alot of the stuff on the orginal page is out of date (most just a year of course!)
Reply 2071
Jamie
incidentally alot of the stuff on the orginal page is out of date (most just a year of course!)
indeed mr Emeritus member!

I wanna be on the first page :motz:
When I'm trying to join med society, it doesn't appear on the list that I'm allowed to join!:mad:
Thats wierd I am pretty sure it should be there
Jamie

Finally I understand where your old avatar (and now profile pic) is from - watched Labyrinth last night, unfortunately not when drunk. I hope you're not working in paediatrics! :smile:
Reply 2075
sometimes most of the time, I ****ing hate medics! Especially those holier than thou, suck up, 'i am god' types!
*moan*
Daveo
sometimes most of the time, I ****ing hate medics! Especially those holier than thou, suck up, 'i am god' types!
*moan*

Who did what?

My personal hate is more the 'reads oxford handbook then asks rhetorical question that they know answer to because they just looked it up' ****s.
Reply 2077
Jamie
Who did what?

My personal hate is more the 'reads oxford handbook then asks rhetorical question that they know answer to because they just looked it up' ****s.

Long story, but the most annoying person in my year has really annoyed me today by being a sneaky little suck up ****!

Yeah I hate those types too.

I also hate those types that get the same teaching as you, yet dont understand anything. Then they want revision sessions which arent really revision sessions they are sessions to teach the them the stuff they didnt understand. Revision sessions are all well and good but when you've explained something to someone over and over again and they still dont get it you just want to say 'go and ask the ****ing consultants' rather than pretending you understand and asking us to teach you later'!!!!!
Daveo
Long story, but the most annoying person in my year has really annoyed me today by being a sneaky little suck up ****!

Yeah I hate those types too.

I also hate those types that get the same teaching as you, yet dont understand anything. Then they want revision sessions which arent really revision sessions they are sessions to teach the them the stuff they didnt understand. Revision sessions are all well and good but when you've explained something to someone over and over again and they still dont get it you just want to say 'go and ask the ****ing consultants' rather than pretending you understand and asking us to teach you later'!!!!!

someone can be permanently ass suckling for all i care, unless they use that to then shoulder their way into your surgery or grab the signoffs you were sheduled to do.

Woe betide anyone that usurps my doing a procedure...
I hate ecg's it seems to me that no matter how much time I spend trying to get my head around them i still can't do it! It sucks

Latest

Trending

Trending