The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
FelicityEllen
Thats wrong, I'd have your friend make a complaint.

My friends got bipolar disorder, and he gets a reserved parking space in college because of it.

Are you having an orgasm in your profile picture? :confused:
timetokill

Regardless, if your friend went to her psych teacher with an issue that could or was effecting her wellbeing and mental health then she is legally obliged to pass that information on. She is bound by the law to do so, so in relation to passing the info to the other member of the department, that is a non-issue.

I'm not entirely sure that's correct. Unless you tell a teacher something that may put yours or your teachers' life in danger then they have no obligation to tell anybody.

I know this because my friend was also diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and she confided in our English teacher and it was kept between them until she was strong enought to deal with it.
Vampyrcorn
So she didn't know that the friend was bi polar? It's not that bad.. the teacher just wasn't particularly nice but that's not really a huge deal, is it? :dontknow: As someone else said, the teacher isn't exactly a counsellor maybe we should give the teacher a break and not automatically judge them too harshly. I'm sure we've all had teachers say much worse things to us and be far more insensitive than that.

Taking the highlighted section on it's own, for someone with serious depression or a psychiatric disorder, yes it can be. If the illnesses (and it can apply to several) are not well stabilised and the person is already riding the edge of their control, it can take very little to have a serious effect.

In this case, it seems the girl was trying to build up the confidence to tell her teacher what was wrong with her or get help. Not only will this have shattered that trust, it has sent the message that the teacher who made the comment doesn't give a toss. Now, it may well be that if this teacher knew about the diagnosis she'd react differently...but when you're vulnerable you're not going to give a person the chance to kick you in the teeth twice. Who does she go too at school for help now? Who does she talk to? Other than her friend (who seems to be a true friend to her), she's on her own and for someone who is mentally ill that is a very dangerous place to be.
i am diagnosed bi polar and have been called much worse than an attention seeker. by teachers and, maybe worse, my head of year. it kinda goes with the territory, and i agree with whoever earlier in the thread said that bi polar is an attention seeking, selfish illness. i lock myself in my room for days, refusing to eat, to answer my phone or to speak to anybody. that's selfish, but at the time i just can't handle it. i don't sleep for days sometimes making myself a nightmare to be around. it is a disease, but i can see why some people think we're attention seeking.
35mm_
I'm not entirely sure that's correct. Unless you tell a teacher something that may put yours or your teachers' life in danger then they have no obligation to tell anybody.

I know this because my friend was also diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and she confided in our English teacher and it was kept between them until she was strong enought to deal with it.

I was told when training on the associates scheme that teachers are legally obliged to pass on information such as students confiding they are pregnant, depressed and other such issues. I was told they are bound to pass that information onto someone in a higher position of authority than they are so that they are covered should anything happen to the child or anyone else involved. Feel free to look it up and confirm otherwise though if you want to, im just going on what I was told in training :confused:
Reply 65
timetokill
I was told when training on the associates scheme that teachers are legally obliged to pass on information such as students confiding they are pregnant, depressed and other such issues. I was told they are bound to pass that information onto someone in a higher position of authority than they are so that they are covered should anything happen to the child or anyone else involved. Feel free to look it up and confirm otherwise though if you want to, im just going on what I was told in training :confused:

When i worked as an outdoor instructor we were told that we had to tell the child before they confided that we may have to take it to a higher authority.
Vampyrcorn
So she didn't know that the friend was bi polar? It's not that bad.. the teacher just wasn't particularly nice but that's not really a huge deal, is it? :dontknow: As someone else said, the teacher isn't exactly a counsellor maybe we should give the teacher a break and not automatically judge them too harshly. I'm sure we've all had teachers say much worse things to us and be far more insensitive than that.

Besides, I'm not sure we're really understanding the whole picture here. I find it hard to believe that a teacher just went 'oh right, you're the attention seeker' out of the blue. Maybe your buddy is a little oversensitive and misinterpreted what she was saying.

I think your friend should tell her what she thinks herself rather than getting upset about it and complaining to other staff, but that's just my opinion. It could quite realistically be a misunderstanding that can be cleared up.

Just because they're in positions of authority doesn't mean they're always going to be fair or nice. I find this story completely believable. I used to get some horrendous stuff from my school (granted it was a ******* weird catholic school with some nuns as teachers): including - "lazy", "stupid", "backwards" and "rude". There was a somewhat overweight friend in my class at school and I remember one of the teachers telling her off for rolling up her skirt and said 'you especially shouldn't with those tree trunk legs'.

Now of course we should all learn to be less sensitive to the stupid idiots in this world because there will always be people who'll insult you but I still don't think we should assume all teachers are respectful.

Not much point complaining though OP. Just let it go and support your friend. :yes:
Reply 67
Toaster Leavings
Just because they're in positions of authority doesn't mean they're always going to be fair or nice. I find this story completely believable. I used to get some horrendous stuff from my school (granted it was a ******* weird catholic school with some nuns as teachers): including - "lazy", "stupid", "backwards" and "rude". There was a somewhat overweight friend in my class at school and I remember one of the teachers telling her off for rolling up her skirt and said 'you especially shouldn't with those tree trunk legs'.

Now of course we should all learn to be less sensitive to the stupid idiots in this world because there will always be people who'll insult you but I still don't think we should assume all teachers are respectful.

Not much point complaining though OP. Just let it go and support your friend. :yes:
Well better then looking like a fat slut surely?
Trigger

Lol, well to be fair anything above the knee was considered slutty in my school :laugh:

They even made us kneel on the floor in year 7-9 to check that the hem went over the knee and touched the floor. :facepalm:
Trigger
When i worked as an outdoor instructor we were told that we had to tell the child before they confided that we may have to take it to a higher authority.

I was told that also.
lol.
Trigger

You're delightful.
Reply 72
paddy__power
You're delightful.

Thank you :smile: I'm a fatty and i try not to wear short skirts unless i have leggings or thick tights on. No one wants to see my tree trunks either.
Trigger
Thank you :smile: I'm a fatty and i try not to wear short skirts unless i have leggings or thick tights on. No one wants to see my tree trunks either.

You dont look that fat love, but fair enough =].
Reply 74
paddy__power
You dont look that fat love, but fair enough =].

I have a thin face which is lucky. No double chins here.
Trigger
I have a thin face which is lucky. No double chins here.

Aye, is that a piercing or a mark on the picture?

Also, you rant a bit in your profile lol.

x
Reply 76
paddy__power

x

She does rant doesnt she? Though respect to her for slagging the idiots doing media degrees though, that gave me a laugh haha
AlanD1993
She does rant doesnt she? Though respect to her for slagging the idiots doing media degrees though, that gave me a laugh haha

I thought she was saying she had done one, and was poking fun at herself too. Either way; highlighting how useless one is is always a good thing lol.
Reply 78
paddy__power

x
I like a rant and yes i have, amongst others, my labret pierced.
Trigger
I like a rant and yes i have, amongst others, my labret pierced.

Aye, and cool (Y)

x

Latest

Trending

Trending