The Student Room Group

Fashion magazine

i've been thinking about getting a job in a fashion magazine (like Elle, cosmopolitan, or eventually some girlie one like cosmogirl or sth)... i was writing articles for internet "web-zines" for nearly four years (had to quit in january) so i do have some experience... possibly i could work for the magazine full-time for two weeks from now and/or work externally (from home) then...
do you think i stand a chance? what should i write to them then - what do you recommend?

thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1
Monii
i've been thinking about getting a job in a fashion magazine (like Elle, cosmopolitan, or eventually some girlie one like cosmogirl or sth)... i was writing articles for internet "web-zines" for nearly four years (had to quit in january) so i do have some experience... possibly i could work for the magazine full-time for two weeks from now and/or work externally (from home) then...
do you think i stand a chance? what should i write to them then - what do you recommend?

thanks a lot :smile:

I think you should go for it. True, it'd be very very competitive, but someone's gotta get the placements, havent they! And you have experience, which will undoubtedly count in your favour. The most they could do is say no...

check their websites for information/placements, and write to them with usual CV and covering letter combination explaining your situation, why you would like a placement for them. If you don't hear from them, be persistent and contact them.(alhtough don't bombard them!)
i think its a great idea- go for it! even if you don't get in this time, it'll show how much you want to do it!
Reply 3
You sound like you have some experience. Make sure you sound like you're really into fashion too, if you apply. If you dont try, you'll never know! Go for it! :smile:
Reply 4
ok thanks for encouraging me :smile: anyway, what should i write to them? ok, i definitely should attach my CV - shall I also add some of my older, already published articles? or shall i wait till they ask for them? and then - what should the cover letter include? by the way - how formal should it be? i'm asking because the language in fashion magazines is not that much formal...

thanks for your suggestions :smile:
Reply 5
i think for this sort of thing you generally start off freelance. not sure if that helps
Reply 6
oh please i'm begging you i really need some advice about what to write to them :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending