The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I work at Sainsbury's, better than Tesco's.... Come work with us :p: :biggrin:
Hana_87
I work at Sainsbury's, better than Tesco's.... Come work with us :p: :biggrin:

Who? I worked at Sainsbury's before for years. The store I worked at is worse than my current one at Tesco. I do miss working with the rest of the bakers there. :rolleyes:
Reply 22
lol

im seeing all these points beeing made and i must say im shocked to see tesco treating different people in the wrong way.. just not nice init.

ok just as a question on the front of the application im going to put in "shelf stacker" too since thats what i'd like to do, do tesco usually accept this i.e i mean are there usually vacancies in that era
How large is the store?
Reply 24
its a tesco extra... basically enourmas!!!
Reply 25
so it depends how big the store is...
Well, the bigger the store the more chances there are of having an area to work which you would prefer/like out of others because there will be more vacancies on average. When I applied to Sainsbury's (big superstore but not quite a hyperstore) I was asked where I wanted to work and I just said anywhere but not tills (I was only 16 back then and didn't like the idea of handing money) and the interviewer said they were taken up anyway so asked if provisions was fine by me and I said yes. And now what do I do at Tesco? Provisions. :rolleyes:
Reply 27
oright i understand.. im 16 and me too dunna like the idea of handling cash lol!

when you mean provisions, do you mean supllies.. what do u exactly do

mind my questions lol
Provisions is just fresh food minus the deli and the meat and fish counter because they're usually more or less autonomous if the store is large. So that's juices, fats, cheese, cooked meats, yoghurts, milk etc.
Beekeeper
I've just been rejected by tesco, and a month ago i was rejected by House of Fraser...
Looking at some of the dumb asses that work there it is quite insulting... hmm

its so frustratin when i see all the most unexpected people in the best shop that earn the most money and there i am in the little cheap shops :frown:
I went to an open day for a new Tescos store that's opening near to mine. I was talking to one of the managers of something or other, and he said since I have experience at working in a supermarket, and I was waffling on about how I wanted to further my career, etc they told me to apply for team leader. I've filled in an application and posted it just before, so hopefully, all will go well for me. :smile:

Has anyone that has filled in one of their applications found it stupidly annoying? You have to rate out of four statements what you think is the most and the least important out of all of them, but it is so hard to decide (especially for the worst one) I think a couple I ended up doing an ip-dip-do as I couldn't for the life of me think of what to put. Also, all the other applications I've filled out have asked about education, volunteer work, work experience, all this one asked was for the position held within the company who employed you, and for contact details and driving licence stuff. Will they ask this later on in the application process?
Reply 31
qarishahg
lol

im seeing all these points beeing made and i must say im shocked to see tesco treating different people in the wrong way.. just not nice init.

ok just as a question on the front of the application im going to put in "shelf stacker" too since thats what i'd like to do, do tesco usually accept this i.e i mean are there usually vacancies in that era
i think the correct term they use is 'stock replenisher'
Reply 32
qarishahg

you're basing this on an internet forum post without the benefit of even seeing the application, knowing the applicant/job ratio or meeting the individual in person?
Reply 33
There is high competition for TESCO find somewhere else, smaller supermarkets might be better
wackojacko
There is high competition for TESCO find somewhere else, smaller supermarkets might be better

High competition for a workplace that pays peanuts?
Reply 35
Well there is for my local store anyway, good pay for a student and usually a doss.
They do pay better than most other shops (if not all now) and it is easy but overall it depends on the working environment at each store IMO.
NDGAARONDI
I got rejected by Safeway once for reasons unknown but then about a year later I decided to start work again (to pay for exams etc) and I got in easily at Tesco. And yes there are some right muppets who work there, including many of the managers too.

I worked in a French supermarket, actually technically they call it Hypermarket which is even worse as it means even bigger aisles and more customers. I was responsible for stacking the shelves in the beer and wine section and stock control and deliveries. The main attraction was seeing the drunkards buy their wine at 10am or the little kids getting all excited about buying their first pack of beer and wondering if they'll get caught.
Then they moved me to the pasta and misc. section... :frown:

I wasn't treated badly but I felt treated like I was some kind of dimwit when my boss, who wasn't even technically a manager, made comments about me not being fast enough. It's quite a good experience as it's quite humiliating in a good way. It was quite funny on the last day when I said, well guys I have to go back to Uni... and they're all stunned "You go to Uni?" (but we treated you like **** for a month and thought you were a dimwit).
Reply 38
NDGAARONDI
High competition for a workplace that pays peanuts?
tesco are one of the best payers i think, for our age range anyway

I would have thought at 16 you wouldn't be able to work on tills as you have to be 18 to sell alcohol? :confused:

I once got an application form for Tesco but never sent it off - it was the most ridiculously detailed application form I've ever seen requiring me to write 4 paragraphs, each detailing "give an example of...." At the time I had never had a job before and had no experiences to write about at all! Stoopid people. I'd apply now, but I hate till work (used to work in a newsagents), can't stock shelves as I have a bad back, and can't stand for long periods (deli, bakery, fish counters) for the same reason! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending