The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
narrow minded...oh please, you make me laugh
tktaylor6
but lets be honest the only subjects that really require a university to extend the students ability is sciences etc, artists can paint anywhere and get insperation from tutors online, english can get reading lists etc, scientists finally get labs. a english or history student could become better at essays by simply having an email adress of a tutor for 3-4 years. science and maths degrees are only useful ones anyway. we push the bar research new things make sure you dont die, make sure you have hot water land on the moon etc. english students well...they can erm...argue well...heavens we need more english students!!!

Hm... take everything that stems from history and English and you can stuff your science - I'd rather be dead anyway :p: Thanks to science, we've also created bombs capable of destroying the entire earth, virtually destroyed the environment and invented mind numbing tv such as Big Brother. Wow.

Yes - this is an exceptionally one sided argument - there have also been incredible inventions, and the invention of television also created what is sometimes used as a brilliant new art form (ah, dvds, Frasier and West Wing...) but maybe it'll show you how stupid *you* sound when you present a completely ridiculous argument :rolleyes:

If literature is a waste of time and isn't used for discovery, then why are Shakespeare's plays quoted so frequently by so many (including lawyers and scientists) in order to better get a point across, or explain human nature? History is the study of how we got where we are today - it would be a complete tragedy if we didn't strive to understand our past. Even if you have no interest in the past for its own sake, even if the understanding the past has no effect on whether or not disatrous events are repeated, it is worth studying. How selfish is it for women to be unaware of the acts of their gender in the past that have allowed them to live in the less patriarchal society of today? (OK I've got more but I just don't have the energy, just spent 3 hours on h/w and PS :p: )
Reply 82
tktaylor6
but lets be honest the only subjects that really require a university to extend the students ability is sciences etc, artists can paint anywhere and get insperation from tutors online, english can get reading lists etc, scientists finally get labs. a english or history student could become better at essays by simply having an email adress of a tutor for 3-4 years. science and maths degrees are only useful ones anyway. we push the bar research new things make sure you dont die, make sure you have hot water land on the moon etc. english students well...they can erm...argue well...heavens we need more english students!!!

Okay, lets see if I can make you laugh some more :rolleyes:

Firstly, the insistence that "artists can paint anywhere and get insperation from tutors online" is, at best laughable, at worst, complete ignorance of the skills needed for art. Considering that in order to do most art degrees an art foundation course is required as well as A-Levels, it seems unlikely that art is simply something you can do, or you can't. Obviously, a certain amount of talent is needed, but on top of that grounding in the basic skills needed for art is necessary. This indicates something which must be taught, yes? Raw talent is not enough alone. And without artists, who will draw up the designs for the equipment needed in your experiments?

You say that at university, scientists finally get labs. Well, at university, artists finally get access to all the equipment they would ever need. So what's your point?

That particular sentence I quoted, "artists can paint anywhere and get insperation from tutors online", contains another example of exactly where you're wrong. The word is spelt 'inspiration'. Perhaps if you had learnt A-Level English Language, you would be aware of that. The study of language is necessary to communicate efficiently and effectively. In fact, decent communication skills are at the core of the sciences you hold in such high regard. Tell me, how do you plan on sharing your scientific advances if you cannot communicate them?

Following on from this, we come to modern foreign languages. How do you plan on sharing your scientific discoveries with the international community if there are no people around who can speak the languages of other nations?

Ethics are another important part of society, and are learnt in subjects such as RS, psychology and law (as far as I'm aware). Who will decide whether it is right to use the weaponry science creates, if there is no-one with a sound knowledge of ethics? And without a knowledge of history, how can we learn from the mistakes of the past and know when not to use them?

Obviously, science is very important. But without arts and humanities, it would be nowhere. They are reliant on each other, and are of equal importance.

I don't even study humanities, my A-Levels were chemistry, biology and psychology, and next year I'll be a computer science student. But in my opinion, it is important for people to recognise the importance of both arts and sciences, regardless of which you decide to study further (if indeed, you study further at all).

Unfortunately however, you only seem to be able to one side of the argument, and that is perhaps why some people believe that there should be compulsory arts and sciences right up until 18.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I absolutely cannot stand ignorance.
Reply 83
tktaylor6

With an attitude like that - not to mention your level of literacy - I'd be surprised if you're clever enough to operate a bunsen burner.

Oh, and in what way is a Maths degree more useful than Law, Medicine, etc.?
foxo
With an attitude like that - not to mention your level of literacy - I'd be surprised if you're clever enough to operate a bunsen burner.

:rofl: bunsen burner!! oh the memories!
Reply 85

Well, to put it simply the modern world relies on mathematics. Medical equipment is run by computer programs, testing new drugs requires statistical analysis.... The upholding of law in the present age relies on communication via phones and the internet which in turn rely on computers which are run by mathematics.... Small areas of mathematics are responsible for so many things in the modern age and we will not progress without its application.
For the individual, maths can also be an extremely stimulating discipline in it's own right, as well as opening the door to many many jobs whereas law and medicine are quite restrictive....
Reply 86
Gaz031
Well, to put it simply the modern world relies on mathematics. Medical equipment is run by computer programs, testing new drugs requires statistical analysis.... The upholding of law in the present age relies on communication via phones and the internet which in turn rely on computers which are run by mathematics.... Small areas of mathematics are responsible for so many things in the modern age and we will not progress without its application.
For the individual, maths can also be an extremely stimulating discipline in it's own right, as well as opening the door to many many jobs whereas law and medicine are quite restrictive....

well said i agree wholeheartedly :biggrin:
Pure maths degrees are not directly useful in the slightest way, that's why they are so brilliant for me :p: ...indirectly pure maths is invaluable...the applied parts of maths are very useful mind, having a good grasp of combinatorics and probability could make one very rich indeed, mwahahhahahahahahahhahahahahaha, even though I am an anti-capitalist :p:

That's the thing with pure maths for me, it is doing maths for the sake of maths, not law for the sake of becoming a barrister, or medicine for the sake of becoming a doctor. Makes one wonder how many pure academic subjects remain...
I'm getting a little confused here - are people saying that those subjects will be considered null and void and discounted, or will they actually count against you?

I'm taking psychology next year, and as a hopeful future medic, I was wondering if it would count against me.

I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology, French and Texiles otherwise. (Maths and French out of school, as my mum is a maths teacher and I used to live in french-speaking Switzerland).
Reply 89
well in all honesty i would listen to somebody doing law a level anyway as it is a 'irreputable' subject as an A-level tee hee. and as for the best of the best artists and writers, not many studied it so your sort of backing my argument really. haha i get so much bad rep hahahaha
Reply 90
KAISER_MOLE
Pure maths degrees are not directly useful in the slightest way
Sorry but I have to disagree a little there.
Calculus is pure maths which we will rigorously study at university yet it has many many extremely important applications.
Without analysis how can we properly understand things like calculus enough in order to use it?
At the minute neither of us understand calculus (particularly integration) properly and so would not be able to apply it effectively.
Reply 91
totally agree witht that first para point
Reply 92
I think Science and Maths degrees are important to have a positive impact through the development of medicines, technological advances etc. However, I think it is wrong to say that these are the only important degrees because to develop as a society, we need people with all kinds of different skill as outlined in a previous post by amie. After all, if we could all do the same job effectively than that would be useless. I think a middle ground between sciences and humanities subjects needs tobe achieved.
Reply 93
not really tho, we dont NEED entertainment of books we dont NEED art. they help our survival in no way
amie
Okay, lets see if I can make you laugh some more :rolleyes:

Firstly, the insistence that "artists can paint anywhere and get insperation from tutors online" is, at best laughable, at worst, complete ignorance of the skills needed for art. Considering that in order to do most art degrees an art foundation course is required as well as A-Levels, it seems unlikely that art is simply something you can do, or you can't. Obviously, a certain amount of talent is needed, but on top of that grounding in the basic skills needed for art is necessary. This indicates something which must be taught, yes? Raw talent is not enough alone. And without artists, who will draw up the designs for the equipment needed in your experiments?

You say that at university, scientists finally get labs. Well, at university, artists finally get access to all the equipment they would ever need. So what's your point?

That particular sentence I quoted, "artists can paint anywhere and get insperation from tutors online", contains another example of exactly where you're wrong. The word is spelt 'inspiration'. Perhaps if you had learnt A-Level English Language, you would be aware of that. The study of language is necessary to communicate efficiently and effectively. In fact, decent communication skills are at the core of the sciences you hold in such high regard. Tell me, how do you plan on sharing your scientific advances if you cannot communicate them?

Following on from this, we come to modern foreign languages. How do you plan on sharing your scientific discoveries with the international community if there are no people around who can speak the languages of other nations?

Ethics are another important part of society, and are learnt in subjects such as RS, psychology and law (as far as I'm aware). Who will decide whether it is right to use the weaponry science creates, if there is no-one with a sound knowledge of ethics? And without a knowledge of history, how can we learn from the mistakes of the past and know when not to use them?

Obviously, science is very important. But without arts and humanities, it would be nowhere. They are reliant on each other, and are of equal importance.

I don't even study humanities, my A-Levels were chemistry, biology and psychology, and next year I'll be a computer science student. But in my opinion, it is important for people to recognise the importance of both arts and sciences, regardless of which you decide to study further (if indeed, you study further at all).

Unfortunately however, you only seem to be able to one side of the argument, and that is perhaps why some people believe that there should be compulsory arts and sciences right up until 18.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I absolutely cannot stand ignorance.

Wooo! That post rocked!!
tktaylor6
not really tho, we dont NEED entertainment of books we dont NEED art. they help our survival in no way

Don't you need books to learn stuff? :p:
Reply 97
My friend did Psychology, Sociology, English Language and History A2's, and has just finished his 2nd year of law at Warwick. Goes to show Psych and Socio aren't completely worthless. :wink:
Reply 98
your right your ignorance did make me laugh some more also your hypocrisy but oh well. and yea a communist society dont we all agree agree with the ideals of it?
I don't :p:
:rolleyes:

Latest