Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

POLL: losing balance when drunk watch

• View Poll Results: Do you lose your balance when drunk?
    Yes - I have fallen over
    48.39%
    No - I have never fallen over
    5.38%
    I stumble - but I have never fallen over
    41.94%
    I have never fallen over...but I might do, haven't got that drunk yet!
    4.30%

ReputationRep:
    Hey there - so me and my friend were having an argument about losing ones balance and falling over when absolutely smashed.

I (don't remember but they tell me) fall over a lot when I'm smashed...but my friend says he has never lost his balance even when he wandered into a graveyard by mistake and fell asleep.

So my question for you is;

Do YOU fall over and generally lose your sense of balance when you are drunk?
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to the results!

ReputationRep:
    It's not an individual trait, it's to do with how alcohol effects our brain and how it progresses through the brain. If your friend doesn't lose he balance, it's because the alcohol hasn't reached that part of her brain which is due to him not having consumed enough for it to get there. So it's purely a matter of him not drinking enough.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit unsteady but I don't fall over. That said once I'm down (ie being sick) it's usually far too much effort to get up again, and I'm comfy right where I am

Edit: I think I hang onto people's arms though, that might be why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    It's not an individual trait, it's to do with how alcohol effects our brain and how it progresses through the brain. If your friend doesn't lose her balance, it's because the alcohol hasn't reached that part of her brain which is due to her not having consumed enough for it to get there. So it's purely a matter of her not drinking enough.
    Yeah...that's what I said to him, but he was adamant that he never loses his balance, and he gets ****** regularly. Also, I have an alcoholic friend, who never loses his balance, and he drinks a **** load. They probably have a high tolerance. :hmmmm2: Or yeah - maybe they haven't gone past their limit yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm jealous of people who get so drunk they don't know which way is up. I only got that drunk once......when I was 16. Never happened again since :emo:

ReputationRep:
    my balance is poor anyway, so i dread to think what it would be like if i was drunk :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I have a **** sense of balance anyway (thanks childhood ear infections!) and fall over randomly when i'm sober... it doesn't improve when i've had some drinks. In fact, the large bruise on my knee is proof of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Yeah...that's what I said to him, but he was adamant that he never loses his balance, and he gets ****** regularly. Also, I have an alcoholic friend, who never loses his balance, and he drinks a **** load. They probably have a high tolerance. :shrug:
    I edited my post because for some reason I read it as your friend being a girl =P The reason why is probably because of the tolerance that they've built up from drinking and thus would need substantially more alcohol for it to reach that part of their brain.

EDIT: You edited your post to say what I was going to say lol.

ReputationRep:
    Not something I do, really... I tend to fall asleep :rolleyes: it's like I have a built-in braking system for alcohol consumption.

I sometimes nearly fall over when I get out of bed, but that's because mornings are evil...

ReputationRep:
    drinking is naughty

ReputationRep:
    Yea I'm like bambi on ice when I get crunk, fallen over many times

ReputationRep:
    I have had many spectacular falls when drunk, then again the same can be said for when I'm sober...

ReputationRep:
    I've never fallen over, but I did once walk into a conservatory glass door thinking it was open, and fell.

ReputationRep:
    I tried to jump a 2 ft wall whilst destroyed on snakebites, whilst holding a bag of beers. I failed. I failed all the way down to the floor until i was looking at the sky. Luckily it was rush hour so everyone saw me.

ReputationRep:
    I lose my balance and fall over when I'm stone cold sober; when I'm drunk, I don't stand a chance.

(Original post by You Failed)
    It's not an individual trait, it's to do with how alcohol effects our brain and how it progresses through the brain. If your friend doesn't lose he balance, it's because the alcohol hasn't reached that part of her brain which is due to him not having consumed enough for it to get there. So it's purely a matter of him not drinking enough.
    Surely, though, some people are more 'clumsy' than others, anyway - even sober? So although there isn't necessarily a personal difference when affected by alcohol, if you're already quite likely to trip over (because you're more clumsy anyway), the alcohol exacerbates that?

ReputationRep:
    I fall over all the time when I'm drunk. Once, I ran into a door in the pub and fell over. In the same evening, I tried to jump a barrier between two booths and fell over spectacularly. It always seems hilarious at the time, though.

I'm an incredibly clumsy drunk, to be honest, but I'm also incredibly clumsy sober.... at the very same pub, a few weeks later, at 6 o'clock at night before consuming a drop of alcohol, I fell up the curb outside and ended up twisting ym wrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    I'm a bit unsteady but I don't fall over. That said once I'm down (ie being sick) it's usually far too much effort to get up again, and I'm comfy right where I am

Edit: I think I hang onto people's arms though, that might be why.
    Lol yes, once down there is no getting up. Let me sleep anywhere please, be it on a road, path, in a toilet xD Of course later I'm always glad people make me move xD

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much I've drank, how quickly I drank it, if I have other things in my system, if I've eaten....

The only times I've apparently been crawling around are after enough alcohol to put most people I know in hospital, usually my balance is fine even after 10+ drinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wahaaaay)
    Yea I'm like bambi on ice when I get crunk, fallen over many times
    Are you crunk now??? :p:

ReputationRep:
    If im smashed enough yeah, I passed out for like 30-40 mins in a street before and somehow I always manage to get cuts etc but I never spill my drink

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.