The Student Room Group

POLL: losing balance when drunk

Poll

Do you lose your balance when drunk?

Hey there - so me and my friend were having an argument about losing ones balance and falling over when absolutely smashed.

I (don't remember but they tell me) fall over a lot when I'm smashed...but my friend says he has never lost his balance even when he wandered into a graveyard by mistake and fell asleep.

So my question for you is;

Do YOU fall over and generally lose your sense of balance when you are drunk?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the results!

Scroll to see replies

I'm a bit unsteady but I don't fall over. That said once I'm down (ie being sick) it's usually far too much effort to get up again, and I'm comfy right where I am :h:

Edit: I think I hang onto people's arms though, that might be why.
It's not an individual trait, it's to do with how alcohol effects our brain and how it progresses through the brain. If your friend doesn't lose he balance, it's because the alcohol hasn't reached that part of her brain which is due to him not having consumed enough for it to get there. So it's purely a matter of him not drinking enough.
Reply 3
You Failed
It's not an individual trait, it's to do with how alcohol effects our brain and how it progresses through the brain. If your friend doesn't lose her balance, it's because the alcohol hasn't reached that part of her brain which is due to her not having consumed enough for it to get there. So it's purely a matter of her not drinking enough.

Yeah...that's what I said to him, but he was adamant that he never loses his balance, and he gets ****** regularly. Also, I have an alcoholic friend, who never loses his balance, and he drinks a **** load. They probably have a high tolerance. :hmmmm2: Or yeah - maybe they haven't gone past their limit yet.
I'm jealous of people who get so drunk they don't know which way is up. I only got that drunk once......when I was 16. Never happened again since :emo:
Reply 5
my balance is poor anyway, so i dread to think what it would be like if i was drunk :moon:
I have a **** sense of balance anyway (thanks childhood ear infections!) and fall over randomly when i'm sober... it doesn't improve when i've had some drinks. In fact, the large bruise on my knee is proof of that!
channy
Yeah...that's what I said to him, but he was adamant that he never loses his balance, and he gets ****** regularly. Also, I have an alcoholic friend, who never loses his balance, and he drinks a **** load. They probably have a high tolerance. :shrug:

I edited my post because for some reason I read it as your friend being a girl =P The reason why is probably because of the tolerance that they've built up from drinking and thus would need substantially more alcohol for it to reach that part of their brain.

EDIT: You edited your post to say what I was going to say lol.
Not something I do, really... I tend to fall asleep :rolleyes: it's like I have a built-in braking system for alcohol consumption.

I sometimes nearly fall over when I get out of bed, but that's because mornings are evil...
Reply 9
drinking is naughty
Reply 10
Yea I'm like bambi on ice when I get crunk, fallen over many times
Reply 11
I have had many spectacular falls when drunk, then again the same can be said for when I'm sober...
Reply 12
I've never fallen over, but I did once walk into a conservatory glass door thinking it was open, and fell.
I tried to jump a 2 ft wall whilst destroyed on snakebites, whilst holding a bag of beers. I failed. I failed all the way down to the floor until i was looking at the sky. Luckily it was rush hour so everyone saw me.
I lose my balance and fall over when I'm stone cold sober; when I'm drunk, I don't stand a chance.

You Failed
It's not an individual trait, it's to do with how alcohol effects our brain and how it progresses through the brain. If your friend doesn't lose he balance, it's because the alcohol hasn't reached that part of her brain which is due to him not having consumed enough for it to get there. So it's purely a matter of him not drinking enough.

Surely, though, some people are more 'clumsy' than others, anyway - even sober? So although there isn't necessarily a personal difference when affected by alcohol, if you're already quite likely to trip over (because you're more clumsy anyway), the alcohol exacerbates that?
Reply 15
I fall over all the time when I'm drunk. Once, I ran into a door in the pub and fell over. In the same evening, I tried to jump a barrier between two booths and fell over spectacularly. It always seems hilarious at the time, though.

I'm an incredibly clumsy drunk, to be honest, but I'm also incredibly clumsy sober.... at the very same pub, a few weeks later, at 6 o'clock at night before consuming a drop of alcohol, I fell up the curb outside and ended up twisting ym wrist.
Reply 16
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
I'm a bit unsteady but I don't fall over. That said once I'm down (ie being sick) it's usually far too much effort to get up again, and I'm comfy right where I am :h:

Edit: I think I hang onto people's arms though, that might be why.

Lol yes, once down there is no getting up. Let me sleep anywhere please, be it on a road, path, in a toilet xD Of course later I'm always glad people make me move xD
Depends on how much I've drank, how quickly I drank it, if I have other things in my system, if I've eaten....

The only times I've apparently been crawling around are after enough alcohol to put most people I know in hospital, usually my balance is fine even after 10+ drinks.
Reply 18
Wahaaaay
Yea I'm like bambi on ice when I get crunk, fallen over many times

Are you crunk now??? :p:
If im smashed enough yeah, I passed out for like 30-40 mins in a street before and somehow I always manage to get cuts etc but I never spill my drink :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending