The Student Room Group

serious issues with some medics

At work, I was talking to a medic who works part time over weekends.

I was just trying to be friendly to this person because I wanted to learn what it's like at med school and also wanted to get to know her since she's quite hot.

but straight out, she started to talk about how her uni is the best and so and so forth...

At first i thought she was just trying to be funny or joking but I only managed to hide my overwhelming surprise to the level of her arrogancy...

Do a lot of medics act this way? I was just so disappointed to find out some medics have such repulsive character...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your study where n=1 is conclusive proof that you have serious issues with some medics?
Reply 2
Not really. No one at my world-renowned university would be as douchey as the plebs and chavs you probably associate with.
Reply 3
:wink:
Reply 4
lol at all the people implying that the OP's experience can't be generalised to pretty much all medics :p:
Reply 5
j00ni
lol at all the people implying that the OP's experience can't be generalised to pretty much all medics :p:

I'm still scared I'd get beaten up if I went on about how great my alma mater is :o: (except for when I'm around Dark Blue scum who deserve to hear it :wink: ).
Reply 6
Why is this in the Current Medics subforum?
Reply 7
The cock factor runs deep in medical students.

Generally medicine seems to attract a lot of people whose egos you can hear humming. What you have to do is find ways to subtly wind them up.
Reply 8
na, she was probably the exception. She probably got decent enough grades and drafted enough personal statements to get an interview. At that stage most would expect the arrogant a**holes to be rejected but that i'd assume that the interviewers were all men and her hotness got her the offer
I have heard form a few of my friends that got in that the med schools impress on people how brilliant they are as people to have gotten in,and how good their particular med school is. The London ones especially have a lot of rivalry between them, not helped by the recent merger. I remember my friend at (QMUL) telling me how they were taught to hate Barts from the first week. They also have lots of intermed school sports competitions. I hope I get into SGUL because I'd really like to take part in the rowing Bumps race :smile: It's a little sad how the rivalry seems to be so ingrained in some people, but a little competition is a good thing. It's no different to the competition between halls that happened when I did my first degree. From Fresher's week we were taught to hate the other halls and sing songs about them (I'm Monte til I die! :biggrin: ), when really, when you think about it, it's random which halls you are allocated.
Phalanges
lol at the fact that you sig states that "The plural of anecdote is not data" and yet you don't seem to understand what it means.

No they aren't! Once accepted these so-called people transcend into our moral guardians! Otherwise they don't deserve to be in medicine in the first place!

Even in her imagination she still thinks she's inferior to us. Nice to know. :wink:

Thankyou!!
One of the first posts I can agree with!
I think that this trait is not one of those you'd want to associate with a student who could one day become your doctor
Sounds like normal London schools rivalry... They are also plenty of medics who could talk the hind legs off a donkey about how **** their medical school is. Same as every course/uni where there is a perceived element of prestige.
All medical schools are equal! However, some are more equal than others :wink:
Is it not just playful banter? Per haps you took her too seriously. From what fitness to Practise taught me, London medics have a great rivalry, which is only logical considering the schools close proximity to each other. Unless it breaks down into some sort of 'Anchorman' situation where a medic from another uni pulls the pin of a grenade and runs into the other unis medical bar, let it be...
Reply 14
Single Malt
Is it not just playful banter? Per haps you took her too seriously. From what fitness to Practise taught me, London medics have a great rivalry, which is only logical considering the schools close proximity to each other. Unless it breaks down into some sort of 'Anchorman' situation where a medic from another uni pulls the pin of a grenade and runs into the other unis medical bar, let it be...

from her comments it seems quite serious to me XD
gildartz
from her comments it seems quite serious to me XD

Nope, does not to me. Sure she is opinionated, but I do not see it as being any more grossly offensive as how one man might call a mercedes much better than an audi. Anyway more important, we are only getting one side of the story. Anyway frankly, I heard just as bad stuff said about medics from other schools when I went to my sheffield interview (during the pre-interview tour).
Reply 16
Single Malt
Nope, does not to me. Sure she is opinionated, but I do not see it as being any more grossly offensive as how one man might call a mercedes much better than an audi. Anyway more important, we are only getting one side of the story. Anyway frankly, I heard just as bad stuff said about medics from other schools when I went to my sheffield interview (during the pre-interview tour).

I was thinking the same thing - none of the stuff she's said is particularly offensive, just standard inter-uni banter, though some people take it too far.

I still tell everyone that Oxford's a complete dump, but I don't really expect anyone to take me particularly seriously.
ilovehotchocolate
I have heard form a few of my friends that got in that the med schools impress on people how brilliant they are as people to have gotten in,and how good their particular med school is. The London ones especially have a lot of rivalry between them, not helped by the recent merger. I remember my friend at (QMUL) telling me how they were taught to hate Barts from the first week. They also have lots of intermed school sports competitions. I hope I get into SGUL because I'd really like to take part in the rowing Bumps race :smile: It's a little sad how the rivalry seems to be so ingrained in some people, but a little competition is a good thing. It's no different to the competition between halls that happened when I did my first degree. From Fresher's week we were taught to hate the other halls and sing songs about them (I'm Monte til I die! :biggrin: ), when really, when you think about it, it's random which halls you are allocated.

Er, what?
Democracy
Er, what?

? This was before QMUL was merged with Barts. She told me of all the songs and FB groups and the like. Maybe 'hate' is too strong a word: intense rivalry....
Saying 12 years is recent is a bit of a stretch...I was 8 at the time! :eek:

And majorly cute.

Latest

Trending

Trending