Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At work, I was talking to a medic who works part time over weekends.

I was just trying to be friendly to this person because I wanted to learn what it's like at med school and also wanted to get to know her since she's quite hot.

but straight out, she started to talk about how her uni is the best and so and so forth...

At first i thought she was just trying to be funny or joking but I only managed to hide my overwhelming surprise to the level of her arrogancy...

Do a lot of medics act this way? I was just so disappointed to find out some medics have such repulsive character...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vutterman)
    At work, I was talking to a medic who works part time over weekends.

I was just trying to be friendly to this person because I wanted to learn what it's like at med school and also wanted to get to know her since she's quite hot.

but straight out, she started to talk about how her uni is the best and so and so forth...

At first i thought she was just trying to be funny or joking but I only managed to hide my overwhelming surprise to the level of her arrogancy...

Do a lot of medics act this way? I was just so disappointed to find out some medics have such repulsive character...
    They're people like any other group Why did you expect the fact that she does medicine to make her a saint?

For your future reference: You will find arrogant, unpleasant twerps in all subject areas, yes, including medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Your study where n=1 is conclusive proof that you have serious issues with some medics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Your study where n=1 is conclusive proof that you have serious issues with some medics?
    i know i know i sound like i'm generalising so much.

But i'm just wondering whether this is a common thing within medical student society.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. No one at my world-renowned university would be as douchey as the plebs and chavs you probably associate with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Not really. No one at my world-renowned university would be as douchey as the plebs and chavs you probably associate with.
    oh how hurtful.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    lol at all the people implying that the OP's experience can't be generalised to pretty much all medics :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    lol at all the people implying that the OP's experience can't be generalised to pretty much all medics :p:
    I'm still scared I'd get beaten up if I went on about how great my alma mater is :o: (except for when I'm around Dark Blue scum who deserve to hear it ).

ReputationRep:
    Why is this in the Current Medics subforum?

ReputationRep:
    The **** factor runs deep in medical students.

Generally medicine seems to attract a lot of people whose egos you can hear humming. What you have to do is find ways to subtly wind them up.

ReputationRep:
    na, she was probably the exception. She probably got decent enough grades and drafted enough personal statements to get an interview. At that stage most would expect the arrogant a**holes to be rejected but that i'd assume that the interviewers were all men and her hotness got her the offer

ReputationRep:

But most students think their university is the best why does it have to be different just because she is a medic. Go to most opendays and the students will tell you their uni is the best its just friendly rivalry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    But most students think their university is the best why does it have to be different just because she is a medic. Go to most opendays and the students will tell you their uni is the best its just friendly rivalry
    i agree with you. What you are saying is true but open days are supposed to be when they sell their uni's appealing aspect to prospect students. And yeah people can be proud of where they go.

but there is part of opening conversation that i had with this girl

me : Hey!
    Girl : hi
    me : I heard you go to med skl? I am applying this year!
    Girl : really? how's it going?
    me : great! I managed to get an offer from Barts. I'm so excited can't wait till i start!
    Girl : oh yeah barts isn't so bad.
    me : oh.. ok, where do you go?
    Girl : I'm a 4th year at UCL. It's probably better than barts. did you apply?
    me : (WTF!) ummm yeah but didn't heaer anything.
    blah blah...

near the end of convo

Girl : yeah so Imperial kids are just geeks, they are only sciency people there and seems like they don't have proper social life and besides it's not even a proper university. Nobody Cares about St Georges because it's in Tooting, whocares? Barts and Kings are not so bad but still barts is in East London, who wants to go there? Whereas UCL is blah blah blah we r the best apart from oxbridge but to be fair oxbirdge people wants to come to us for their clinical so UCL is the one i suppose blah blah

see what i mean?

gotta go, break over, gonna check at 2 oclock

ReputationRep:
    i agree with you. What you are saying is true but open days are supposed to be when they sell their uni's appealing aspect to prospect students. And yeah people can be proud of where they go.

me : great! I managed to get an offer from Barts. I'm so excited can't wait till i start!
    blah blah...

near the end of convo

Girl : yeah so Imperial kids are just geeks, they are only sciency people there and seems like they don't have proper social life and besides it's not even a proper university. Nobody Cares about St Georges because it's in Tooting, whocares? Barts and Kings are not so bad but still barts is in East London, who wants to go there? Whereas UCL is blah blah blah we r the best apart from oxbridge but to be fair oxbirdge people wants to come to us for their clinical so UCL is the one i suppose blah blah

see what i mean?

Wow, she does sound very arrogant and snobby. I do think you will find much more arrogant people in medicine - compared to other degree courses - but I'm sure the majority will be normal and down-to-earth.

Also, I've heard that most consultant surgeons are insufferably arrogant:p:

ReputationRep:

blah blah...

near the end of convo

see what i mean?

wow, something tells me she didnt get an offer from st georges/imperial/barts/oxbridge XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    lol at the fact that you sig states that "The plural of anecdote is not data" and yet you don't seem to understand what it means.

(Original post by Democracy)
    They're people like any other group
    No they aren't! Once accepted these so-called people transcend into our moral guardians! Otherwise they don't deserve to be in medicine in the first place!

we r the best apart from oxbridge
    Even in her imagination she still thinks she's inferior to us. Nice to know.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard form a few of my friends that got in that the med schools impress on people how brilliant they are as people to have gotten in,and how good their particular med school is. The London ones especially have a lot of rivalry between them, not helped by the recent merger. I remember my friend at (QMUL) telling me how they were taught to hate Barts from the first week. They also have lots of intermed school sports competitions. I hope I get into SGUL because I'd really like to take part in the rowing Bumps race It's a little sad how the rivalry seems to be so ingrained in some people, but a little competition is a good thing. It's no different to the competition between halls that happened when I did my first degree. From Fresher's week we were taught to hate the other halls and sing songs about them (I'm Monte til I die! ), when really, when you think about it, it's random which halls you are allocated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    lol at the fact that you sig states that "The plural of anecdote is not data" and yet you don't seem to understand what it means.

No they aren't! Once accepted these so-called people transcend into our moral guardians! Otherwise they don't deserve to be in medicine in the first place!

Even in her imagination she still thinks she's inferior to us. Nice to know.
    Thankyou!!
    One of the first posts I can agree with!
    I think that this trait is not one of those you'd want to associate with a student who could one day become your doctor

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like normal London schools rivalry... They are also plenty of medics who could talk the hind legs off a donkey about how **** their medical school is. Same as every course/uni where there is a perceived element of prestige.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.