The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Okay, I'm 18 in 2 months and a bit. If I went to a dentist now, and then got referred to an orthodontist, do you think that would make it too late?
Reply 41
i think you can still get them until your 19 as long as you are still in full time education.
Reply 42
I had braces for 2 years..they're okay. (Except in the beginning when they hurt a lot and I couldn't chew for a couple of days.) Oh, and also the metal bit in the back poking at your gums sucked too.

I still kept chewing gum and eating caramels which didn't really do anything. However, after I got them off, I had 4 cavities.

In the end, it's worth it.
Reply 43
i just turned 18 aswell and will be getting some really soon hopefully. not that i want to wear them, but i really want a better smile :frown:

i went to this stupid orthodentist (since i was 12 or so) who told me to come back the next year because they wanted to see whether my jaw would grow. the other day i consulted somebody else who told me that i should have had it done at the age of 9! im so upset.

I hope its not too late for me :frown: . Next year I will be going on a 3 months trip away from any dentist: is this a problem? Because if i get a brace, then will i not need to tighten it within this period? thx
Ahh.. I don't feel I wasn't being totally honest in my answer before and honesty is good, right? Well, I DID have a removable retainer thing over my top teeth when I was nine for almost three years when it was supposed to take six months (I followed all instructions and was waiting to move onto train tracks) and at the time I gave up because I thought it hadn't made any difference and I kept on being teased for it (looking back that was just an excuse for bullying - there were many others). However, in hindsight it DEFINITELY did improve my top teeth. They're no way near straight but before they were practically at right angles. I feel really foolish for having given up that time; do you think that would count against me? It was six years ago and I really hope I don't get held accountable for doing something when I was a little kid. I feel I'm now at a stage where I have enough self-confidence to wear braces than I could if I was younger. At the moment what gets me down IS having my teeth like this.
Reply 45
i had train tracks for 18 months at first hurted like hell and the first few tightenings really hurt aswell, towards end were alright just hideous to look at, then had a retainer but i had see-through gum shield ones and were actually ok as you couldnt see them, now i have perfect straight teeth, make sure you brush your teeth really hard when you have train tracks or you will get yellow spots underneath, or you can just buy a sonicare toothbrush there awesome and will keep you gnashers pearly white
Reply 46
ive had orthadontic treatment for 5 years, and im only just getting my braces next week! :frown: ive had a retainer for over a year.

my teeth are still going to look wrong after braces though because im missing the top two second teeth (after my big ones) and so its BIGONES/VAMPIRE TEETH lol. im so totally gunna look like a vampire!

ah wells, at least they will be straight.
Reply 47
hey could some1 please advise me :frown:

when i went to the orthodontist, the suggested removing one of my upper incisors (not the middle ones, but the the one just next to them) hence I would get vampire teeth. They told me they would reshape the fangs slightly but i really didnt want vampire teeth so i never went back

I really need to go though. I would prefer wearing something at night every night than having a tooth missing. then again many people i have seen have vampire teeth ... could some1 please advise me. thx
Reply 48
I don't have braces and I don't need them. I'd hate it if I got them, I'm too old for them now!
Reply 49
o0o, i have my first Orthodontist appointment sometime this month :eek:
Reply 50
LPK
o0o, i have my first Orthodontist appointment sometime this month :eek:

First, he'll tell you to go back to your dentist and have 4 teeth out!
Reply 51
extraction is just a step on the way to getting the teeth you want! Don't worry, when u have ur brace they will all straighten out and move into the gaps anyway. The "vampire teeth" are temporary and no one will notice.
Reply 52
*sobs* I have to get them this month :frown: I'm scared of looking ugly
Reply 53
~*PinkTeaCozy*~
*sobs* I have to get them this month :frown: I'm scared of looking ugly

You don't look ugly with braces! It was like a trend in yr 9 and 10 at my school :biggrin:
Reply 54
iwait4u
hey could some1 please advise me :frown:

when i went to the orthodontist, the suggested removing one of my upper incisors (not the middle ones, but the the one just next to them) hence I would get vampire teeth. They told me they would reshape the fangs slightly but i really didnt want vampire teeth so i never went back

I really need to go though. I would prefer wearing something at night every night than having a tooth missing. then again many people i have seen have vampire teeth ... could some1 please advise me. thx

ditto, getting the same thing next week. dont worry! im going to luk like a vampire a bit, but i will get the tips reduced down or something?
Reply 55
Cazzi_Bear
ditto, getting the same thing next week. dont worry! im going to luk like a vampire a bit, but i will get the tips reduced down or something?

It doesn't look weird at all, actually, they did that to mine and no one's ever said 'OMG hey, vampire teeth!'

:dontknow:
Reply 56
Kavanne
It doesn't look weird at all, actually, they did that to mine and no one's ever said 'OMG hey, vampire teeth!'

:dontknow:

yeh but mine are really pointy! lol

one week till i get traintracks :afraid:
Reply 57
i had a retainer when i was in year 4. it didnt bother me too much, although incidently i ended up flushing it down the toliet! Ive also had a back brace...which believe me is alot more annoying!
Reply 58
Ive had them before and didnt mind them.
mine are out now, it feels so weird... and smooth, no 1s noticed at home so far lol

Latest

Trending

Trending