The Student Room Group

Hmm .. but wouldnt the grant and bursary be enough :confused: ?
A) How do you know you will get a grant?
B) You do know many unis only give you a bursary if you qualify for the maximum grant? (family income has to be below £25000)
C) If you really don't need it apply and invest it for 3 years! That's what all the money savvy advice would be.
hypocriticaljap
A) How do you know you will get a grant?
B) You do know many unis only give you a bursary if you qualify for the maximum grant? (family income has to be below £25000)
C) If you really don't need it apply and invest it for 3 years! That's what all the money savvy advice would be.

Hmm I suppose your right I just dont want to end up in too
much debt .. I mean how much are they going to charge in interest?
I live at home, and would recommend applying for it anyway. Not living away from home doesn't mean you'll never need money for anything... :rolleyes:
LiterallyInsane

Nobody knows other than it is RPI or 1% over base rate whichever is the lower, so next year will be about 1.5%, but historically it has always been less than you could get from investing it in an ISA.
TheSownRose
I live at home, and would recommend applying for it anyway. Not living away from home doesn't mean you'll never need money for anything... :rolleyes:

Lool hmm I suppose your right :biggrin:
Reply 8
LiterallyInsane

Depends on the March before each academic year. For 09/2010, it's defined as 0% APR as inflation (RPI) was negative last March. The rate for 2011 isn't out yet.

http://www.slc.co.uk/statistics/facts%20and%20%20figures/previous_interest_rates.html
The rate is either RPI or 1% above base rate whichever is the lower. SO it will be around 1.5% next year because RPI will be higher than the base rate plus 1% figure. You can always better that in an ISA.
It depends on how much maintenace grant you are getting, if your getting the full maintenance grant there is no point IMO,

3k is enough for a year if your not living out.
hypocriticaljap
The rate is either RPI or 1% above base rate whichever is the lower. SO it will be around 1.5% next year because RPI will be higher than the base rate plus 1% figure. You can always better that in an ISA.

Whats an ISA and how does it work ? :confused:
go to any bank and ask. Its a savings vehicle on which you earn interest free of income tax.

Latest

Trending

Trending