The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lynseyweth
Oh my god your are joking? Maybe it's an American thing, but surely you marry for love and not for money? I can't wait to marry my fiance and not for his money as we will both be earning as much as each other. We want to marry as we want to spend the rest of our lives together. Fair enough a lot of marriages do end in divorce but if we thought like that about everything we wouldn't do anything! A lot of relationships finish before marriage is even contemplated does that mean you won't get into a relationship in fear of it ending?

Well, right now it seems that making the best "investment" is to marry for money. I would still be in a long-term relationship, but, let's put it simply, I don't have much faith in marriages. Everyone adult around me is divorced.

Personally though, I'm unsure about marriage because 1) I'm not ready to settle 2) I want to date more people 3) I'm restless, and thus being a "permanent-ish" relationship seems ultra-scary to me 4) I can't figure out the difference between love and in love.
Reply 21
You love your mum but your not in love with her. I personally think there is a clear difference between the two. Now only if "love" existed :rolleyes: Oh I'm such a skeptic!
Reply 22
SlyPie
I've just been contemplating, and I was wondering exactly what the difference was between the two?

Adults say that when people marry they are "in love" but that gradually becomes "love" which is longer-lasting and not as ephemeral.

Does "in love" mean sexual desire and thus wanting to jump on that person?

Does "love" simply mean caring for that person but is not as deep as "in love"?

Doesn't marriage sound crappy when adults with experience tell you that 'in love" gradually becomes "love"..and thus it seems you lose all desire for the other person?

Can you be "in love" with someone without wanting to have sex with them?

I see it as completely differnet to that - i love friends and family, and past boyfriends...i am in love with my current boyfriend, and it's a totally different sort of thing. i see being in love as more intense and deeper and more meaningful, and loving someone as more platonic.
Reply 23
SlyPie
Well, right now it seems that making the best "investment" is to marry for money. I would still be in a long-term relationship, but, let's put it simply, I don't have much faith in marriages. Everyone adult around me is divorced.

If you marry someone for their money, or if money even comes in to the equation, then the marriage is doomed right from the start.

I am unsure about marriage, I don't feel a need to get married. I am not religeous at all. Making vows in front of a vicar in a house of God means nothing to me. I don't need anybody's permission or blessing to be with someone.

Saying that I probably would get married, simply because of the legallity issues. There are many situations in life that are a lot easier to deal with as a married couple.
Reply 24
DeLboY
If you marry someone for their money, or if money even comes in to the equation, then the marriage is doomed right from the start.

I am unsure about marriage, I don't feel a need to get married. I am not religeous at all. Making vows in front of a vicar in a house of God means nothing to me. I don't need anybody's permission or blessing to be with someone.

Saying that I probably would get married, simply because of the legallity issues. There are many situations in life that are a lot easier to deal with as a married couple.

hmm you're right--in America, married people get tax cuts. So that's one reason for getting married.....
Reply 25
DeLboY

So have a civil ceremony :rolleyes:

And yes, it does make a lot of legal issues a lot easier (not just tax benefits)
Reply 26
SlyPie
hmm you're right--in America, married people get tax cuts. So that's one reason for getting married.....

Living with someone is way way cheaper.

You'll know when you're in love, don't worry.

Latest

Trending

Trending