The Student Room Group

Ways to make yourself sneeze

Really needed to sneeze so I googled it. Made myself laugh trying out all the WikiHow ways hahaaa :o:

1. Tickle your nose. Since the purpose of sneezing is to rid your body of foreign substances in your nose, you can trick it into thinking a sneeze is in order by "tickling" it with a tissue (or a cotton swab, or even a strand of hair--but nothing sharp or hard).

2. Ground pepper, cumin, coriander. Take a whiff of ground pepper, cumin, coriander or other seasonings.

3. Look suddenly at a very bright light. 17% to 35% of people are "sun sneezers" who have genetically inherited the photic sneeze reflex. You might be one of them. Limit your exposure to light and close your eyes. After your eyes have acclimated to the darkness, open your eyes and swiftly turn on a bright light, walk into a bright room, or look at a bright spot outside (but not directly at the sun, which can damage your eyes). If you have the photic sneeze reflex, you'll probably sneeze, and probably several times consecutively.

Why does this happen? The trigeminal nerve, which controls sneezing, happens to run right alongside the optic nerve. In some people, over stimulation of the optic nerve "rubs off" on the trigeminal nerve (in the same way that data cables can "crosstalk") and the body mistakenly responds by sneezing.

4. Take a deep breath of cold air. If you're inside and it's quite chilly outside, try stepping out and suddenly inhaling the cold air. This can also trigger the sneeze reflex. Another way to do this is to take a hot shower, then stick your head out quickly and take a deep breath of cool air. Or, stick your head in the freezer and inhale!

5. Chew strong mint gum. The sudden influx of strong flavor can bring on a sneeze. For some people, Altoids-brand mints and even strong mint-flavored toothpaste can induce a sneezing fit.

6. Pluck your eyebrows. The eyelid muscles that close your eyes are part of the network of nerves activated during a sneeze. Stimulating them through plucking hairs can make your trigeminal nerve more sensitive, possibly triggering a sneeze.

7. Eat a large meal. Perhaps you're a victim of snatiation, a genetically-inherited condition whereby you sneeze uncontrollably upon having a full stomach. Since this condition is only expressed when you've gorged yourself to the extent that you can't eat anymore the discomfort and long-term health impact of this method may not be worth the benefits of sneezing.

8. Hold a massager up to the bridge of your nose. This can create an intense tickling sensation that makes some people sneeze.

9. Place your tongue on the roof of your mouth then slide it backwards until the hard part of the roof disappears. Using the tip of your tongue, flick the edge of the hard part. If you do this a few times, then after a short delay you might sneeze.

10. Use water! It may sound gross, but get a cup of warm water. Put your nose in it only slightly! Be careful. Tilt your head back, and you will go into a sneezing fit, maybe two or three times.

11. Pull a nose hair.

12. Tilt your head back when you feel you need to sneeze but it isn't quite coming on; sometimes this will trigger the sneeze.

13. Drink lots of fizzy drinks or let the bubbles be next to your nose. The strong taste and smell make noses go slightly funny and sometimes makes you sneeze.

14. Try to "fake sneeze". The simulation of a sneeze can trick your nose into actually producing one!
Reply 1
Looking at a bright light always works for me! If I feel a sneeze coming on and want it out...that's what I do.
Reply 2
M_E_X
Looking at a bright light always works for me! If I feel a sneeze coming on and want it out...that's what I do.

Didn't work for me :frown: but I just sneezed twice yippeeee
Reply 3
olive*
Chew strong mint gum. The sudden influx of strong flavor can bring on a sneeze. For some people, Altoids-brand mints and even strong mint-flavored toothpaste can induce a sneezing fit

i always sneeze when chewing mint gum or even when taking cough meds/ anything else like that :s-smilie:

I'm a weirdo (according to friends) :sad:
The eyebrow hair one is rubbish, I'm always plucking my eyebrows and I get nothing.
When I was about 15, I was about to have a shower, and I looked up at the bathroom light and sneezed. I thought it was amazing so I wandered how much I can sneeze in a row.
It turned out to be like, 17/18 :lol: I had tears rolling down my eyes ha
Reply 5
If you touch your private parts/boobies. Dat can make you sneeze :ninja:
Reply 6
Drinking diluted orange juice makes me sneeze.
Reply 7
Put your finger deep in your nose and start rubbing it hard with the tip of your nail. But don't hurt yourself. when you feel like sneezing take your finger out and sneeze.this helps. I sneezed more than 10 times. It feels awesome. I feel calm relief and healthy... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest