The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ztjboxmanz
i know so so so so many people that have gone to uni past all that they could done well bla bla bla and they still cant get a job.

one person stayed at uni for 9 years and she works in tescos lol...

whats the point ?

I can see your point but I think now, for most people, its just a case of keeping up; as more people are getting degrees employers are expecting better qualified applicants to apply, for example jobs where 10 or 20 years ago you could breeze into with an O-level (or whatever A-Levels were back then) now may require you to have a degree at top honours.

To be honest it all has become a complete joke as many graduate level jobs no longer reflect the 3+ years hard work you have to put in to get there, as well as the cost of it all, but its unmoral to refuse somebody an education and as more people strive to get ahead of the game this trend will just continue to increase each year until eventually somebody will have to intervene but as it is joining the 1000’s of people already with a degree is the only way to at least give you a chance of a good job when you graduate.
Reply 2
I'm going because i'll enjoy uni, I enjoy learning, and its a few more years without any real responsibility. :smile:

Why not? The debt? Its peanuts.
Reply 3
Beekeeper
I'm going because i'll enjoy uni

Excellent reasoning :smile:

I was in the pub the other night chatting to a guy called Rodney and I felt rather smug as I told him about my 3 A's and my place at Cambridge. He smiled and said:

"I took 14 O levels, 4 A levels, 2 S levels, and did 2 degrees and a phd at Cambridge, and it hasn't secured one job interview in 30 bloody years"

So that filled me with confidence. He then went on to write out equations in spilt beer on the bar in an attempt to explain the frequencies in an octave.
Reply 4
Obviously to party non stop away from parents
Reply 5
Maybe we go so we know how to put stuff in the correct forums. Have you seen the job market lately? Virtually every job I have applied has said the candidate should have a degree.

We go to learn stuff which is too advanced for colleges. We go to be taught by word leading expects in the field.
Reply 6
Beekeeper
I'm going because i'll enjoy uni, I enjoy learning, and its a few more years without any real responsibility. :smile:

Why not? The debt? Its peanuts.

Im not sure about that, Ill be doing a 4-5 year course at £3000 a year, and thats without living expenses, I wouldnt call that peanuts.
Reply 7
Im going to uni because in order for me to become a Pharmacist (which has been my life long dream) I need a degree in Pharmacy to practice. Like me, some people go to uni because they need to if they want a certain career.

Others go to uni because they are very passionate about a certain subject and wish to study it more.

Others go in order to increase their chances of employment, ie. someone in a degree in economics stands more chance of getting employed by a firm in the city than someone with just an a-level in economics

Other people go to have a laugh and enjoy themselves before full employment begins..

In other words, there are LOADS of reasons why people want to go to uni, for each person the reasons are normally different.
Reply 8
Steeeeevo
Im not sure about that, Ill be doing a 4-5 year course at £3000 a year, and thats without living expenses, I wouldnt call that peanuts.

But so many 20 year olds are happy to take out a £10,000 loan to pay for a car which will be in a scrap yard in 10 years time. I think education is far more valuable than a car.

I will say for those who are only going to university for the party don't bother, do all of us a favour and work for 18-30 instead.
I think it very much depends on your long terms goals i.e. what you want to do after! I had no idea what I wanted to do so I went straight to work after dropping out just before sitting my A-Levels and by the time I was 20/21 was earning a lot more than the salaries offered for new graduates. However long term I didn't enjoy my job and left this year to go to uni in September.

I also read somewhere that although starting salaries for graduates are low compared to people who had been working in an industry for 3 years and hadnt gone to uni, there was more growth potential for graduates to earn £££s more than non-graduates in the long run.
Reply 10
ztjboxmanz
i know so so so so many people that have gone to uni past all that they could done well bla bla bla and they still cant get a job.

one person stayed at uni for 9 years and she works in tescos lol...

whats the point ?

Simply I am disabled and need to be well qualified to be taken seriously. Employers aren't supposed to take it into consideration but believe me they do.

I have alway been dead set against doing a job for the sake of it I want to do a job because I want to and for me that means me having a degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending