The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

first year resits at surrey.

right I do Psychology & Sociology, have already done some exams and some people knew this beforehand and others only just found out... when you do a resit apparently it is capped at 40%? Or averaged with 40% or whatever you got the first time, so no matter how you do your mark will go down. Does anyone know if this is true?! I'm mad if it is and not everyone knew, that isn't really fair, but heyho that is life.
Reply 1
kiwigirl
right I do Psychology & Sociology, have already done some exams and some people knew this beforehand and others only just found out... when you do a resit apparently it is capped at 40%? Or averaged with 40% or whatever you got the first time, so no matter how you do your mark will go down. Does anyone know if this is true?! I'm mad if it is and not everyone knew, that isn't really fair, but heyho that is life.

Im not sure of your departments policy but i'd guess it would be one of two things:

1: Your old % mark stays and the resit is just to make up for failed credits.
2. Your new % mark stays and is used to make up your grade.

You should have a handbook/guidelines/lots of paperwork from the start of the year which will explain their exams and marking policy or it will probably be available to you online.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Well I am on this course and I am pretty sure (not 100%) resits are not capped at 40%. I have had to redo a lab report and that wasn't capped at 40. Of course, it could be different for exams, but it does not mention resit exams being capped at 40 anywhere in the handbook.

But tbh, in your first year, your actual grades don't really metter that much. They don't go towards your degree, you just need to get more than 40% on all your modules to pass into the 2nd year. Sometimes you can get compensation credits too. It's probably best to ring the undergraduate office and ask them about it.
Reply 3
Ashtray88
Well I am on this course and I am pretty sure (not 100%) resits are not capped at 40%. I have had to redo a lab report and that wasn't capped at 40. Of course, it could be different for exams, but it does not mention resit exams being capped at 40 anywhere in the handbook.

But tbh, in your first year, your actual grades don't really metter that much. They don't go towards your degree, you just need to get more than 40% on all your modules to pass into the 2nd year. Sometimes you can get compensation credits too. It's probably best to ring the undergraduate office and ask them about it.

Real, are you in final year? What do you mean by compensation credits?

I'm only aiming to pass but have lots of people have said that won't be good enough when looking for a placement, they say they look at your first year grades to help them pick between people etc. so it makes me worried!
Reply 4
kiwigirl
Insert stuff here

Was just at a union focus group on where this came up, currently for your mark after a re-sit, it is a weighting between the original and the re-sit mark of 50/50.

I think this would be in your course handbook, just most people don't read it.

Compensation credits are given you fail (<40%) on a module, to make up for the not obtained credits, though your mark will still stand.

Oh and first year marks are important for getting your placement as you will have to put first year marks on your CV (and they want to know them). If you are on psychology, I was told by a second year that placement is compulsory but I do not know for your course.
Reply 5
The Beaver
Was just at a union focus group on where this came up, currently for your mark after a re-sit, it is a weighting between the original and the re-sit mark of 50/50.

I think this would be in your course handbook, just most people don't read it.

Compensation credits are given you fail (<40%) on a module, to make up for the not obtained credits, though your mark will still stand.

Oh and first year marks are important for getting your placement as you will have to put first year marks on your CV (and they want to know them). If you are on psychology, I was told by a second year that placement is compulsory but I do not know for your course.

Heya, thanks for letting me know, averaging the marks like that for the resit sounds fair I think. It wasn't in the handbook lol, most people don't read all of it (me included, at first) so I went and checked later.

Placement is compulsory on my course, and I'd definitely do one anyway even if it wasn't! (one of the reasons I chose Surrey) I have had mitigating circumstances this year though... hopefully they will be understanding because I didn't get crap marks in some things because I'm crap, it's because of personal things.
Reply 6
kiwigirl
Heya, thanks for letting me know, averaging the marks like that for the resit sounds fair I think. It wasn't in the handbook lol, most people don't read all of it (me included, at first) so I went and checked later.

Placement is compulsory on my course, and I'd definitely do one anyway even if it wasn't! (one of the reasons I chose Surrey) I have had mitigating circumstances this year though... hopefully they will be understanding because I didn't get crap marks in some things because I'm crap, it's because of personal things.

Im guessing you have followed this up and told them about the mitigating circumstances before your exams? (I know psychology is done now but still).

According to what they were saying earlier, if your mitigating circumstances are recognised (I think meaning; they accept that they significantly affected your exam) then the 're-sit' is then treated as your first attempt and so it will not be weighted with, and brought down by, the original mark. So this is obviously very important for your marks.
Reply 7
I am going into my placement year. It is not necessary to put your first year marks on your C.V.... A few places may ask for your first year marks(and the marks you have got so far in your second year), but many do not. They don't pick solely on first year marks either, having a good C.V is an advantage. It can be very helpful to try and get some sort experience with volunteer work. Also volunteering at the University or joining a club is good. Otherwise, just highlight your strengths and explain why you are interested in this area and why you are interested in the placement. Good luck!
Reply 8
Ashtray88
I am going into my placement year. It is not necessary to put your first year marks on your C.V.... A few places may ask for your first year marks(and the marks you have got so far in your second year), but many do not. They don't pick solely on first year marks either, having a good C.V is an advantage. It can be very helpful to try and get some sort experience with volunteer work. Also volunteering at the University or joining a club is good. Otherwise, just highlight your strengths and explain why you are interested in this area and why you are interested in the placement. Good luck!

Thanks so much! Quite nervous about trying to find one
Reply 9
Ashtray88
volunteering

Oh volunteering an excellent idea (and I don't say that because I am biased obviously :P)

Latest

Trending

Trending