The Student Room Group

Braces

I really want to get braces. I've had them when i was younger but i was stupid and i didnt wear them, they felt uncomftable and so i though whats the harm in taking the Retainer out. Biggest mistake i have made so far.

Now im 20, and i hate my teeth. I wish i had just worn the braces, and not acted stupid. My confidence has taken a huge dive because i feel uncomftable talking to people, and just generally i hate openning my mouth because of my slightly wonky teeth. My teeth are not awful, but they do sort of slope outwards, and make the shape of my mouth weird.

What would you think if you saw a 20yr old girl wearing braces? It wouldnt be the most attractive look right. :o:

Also i know its best to speak to an orthodontist about this, but how much do they cost? I would have to go private, and im worried about the cost.
How long have you had your braces? I want them now, rather than when i get older.

Tl;dr - I want braces, how much will they cost? How long have you had yours?

Thank you xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, if i had braces put in from a different country, would the dentists in the uk still tighten them? Would they carry on the dental work, or would i have to get it all done in the other country?
Reply 2
I can't answer your other questions about cost etc, but I'm 19 nearly 20 and still have braces - it's a lot more common than you think so I wouldn't worry about your age :smile:
Reply 3
hannahhi
I can't answer your other questions about cost etc, but I'm 19 nearly 20 and still have braces - it's a lot more common than you think so I wouldn't worry about your age :smile:

Thanks, that does make me feel a whole lot better. I havent seen alot of people around uni with braces, so i didnt want to stick out like a sore thumb :o:
I know two girls at uni who have braces one 19 the other 20 and they are both really attractive I didn't even noticed until she mentioned them.
Prie might be over £2000 I'm not sure
Reply 5
Indieboohoo
I know two girls at uni who have braces one 19 the other 20 and they are both really attractive I didn't even noticed until she mentioned them.
Prie might be over £2000 I'm not sure

That's awesome. I was worried i'd look like a fool wearing them at this age, because most people get braces when their 14/15 years old.

Mum said she'll help out with the cost, and i'd get a job and pay her back because i don't want to wait untill i've saved up enough, as i want them asap. I don't mind having them whilst im at uni, but i don't want to have to get them once i've finished uni.

I've always hated my teeth, i hate taking pictures, and smiling, im sure once i've had braces it will boost my confidence, and i won't hate myself.
Reply 6
Oh well. Anonmous fail. Never mind. :p:
Reply 7
You can get transparent braces which are less obvious. Think they cost more though.
My friend has braces, he's 18 and it cost him about £1500, but he only has them on the top. Do you know how long you'll have them for?
Reply 9
bob247
You can get transparent braces which are less obvious. Think they cost more though.

Won't transparent braces take longer to straighten teeth then the train track ones :/

The TSR Star.
My friend has braces, he's 18 and it cost him about £1500, but he only has them on the top. Do you know how long you'll have them for?

I need mine for the top and bottom, but hopefully they wont take as long, as i've had braces before but because i didnt wear the retainer, the shifted back to their original state.
Im going abroad for 3 months, so i thought i should get them fitted their, as it would be cheaper, but i doubt any dentist in the uk would tighten them and carry on the work. So i'll book an appointment when i get back and find out for sure how much they would cost and how long i'll need them.

£1500 for just the top seems a bit pricey :/
Go for it - I just spent £400 on a crown and veneer for my two top teeth (just finished the procedure yesterday :biggrin:) and I am so so happy with the result. It's worth it when you can smile and feel like a million dollars - it sounds cheesy but it's so true!!
And as for the cost - it can add up but I spend (way) more than 400 on clothes per year and they won't last me as long as this will.
Where are you going abroad? Any dentist will take on care for braces - my sis is emigrating from England with a brace - and she's going to SSAfrica and it'll still be pretty easy to get an orthodontist.
Reply 11
Look up '6month smile' on the internet, they're braces for adults. My friend got them a month or so ago and you cannot tell she wears braces. Not all places in the UK do the 6month smile but have a look around. The cost varies (dont think you can get it on the NHS) think she got hers for £2400.
Reply 12
terri55
Look up '6month smile' on the internet, they're braces for adults. My friend got them a month or so ago and you cannot tell she wears braces. Not all places in the UK do the 6month smile but have a look around. The cost varies (dont think you can get it on the NHS) think she got hers for £2400.

Ive had a look at the 6 month smile thing, but im not to sure about them. The price is reasonable, i'd consider paying that much. They don't offer that near where i live.

pearlearrings
Go for it - I just spent £400 on a crown and veneer for my two top teeth (just finished the procedure yesterday :biggrin:) and I am so so happy with the result. It's worth it when you can smile and feel like a million dollars - it sounds cheesy but it's so true!!
And as for the cost - it can add up but I spend (way) more than 400 on clothes per year and they won't last me as long as this will.
Where are you going abroad? Any dentist will take on care for braces - my sis is emigrating from England with a brace - and she's going to SSAfrica and it'll still be pretty easy to get an orthodontist.

Oh, i didnt think they would take on care for braces, because its risky finishing off work done by a different orthodontist in a different country. Hmm.. I'll visit the dentist their and find out more.
I really do want braces even though my fam think im being silly, as long as i don't have to pay a lump sum, and i can pay as i go along, it wouldnt really seem too expensive. Im so desperate for them that im considering holding off on buying a car, and going for dental work instead. I think it'll be worth it. Then atleast i can smile like this -> :biggrin:
instead of this -> :smile:
I've heard some people receiving quotes of up to £4,000 for their braces! I think they had A LOT of work to be done though, and I think most people I know have been charged around £2,000. There are loads of options though, like Invisalign, and inliners which are like bracket braces which go around the inside of your teeth so you can't see them, and ceramic brackets, and clear braces... LOADS of choices :smile:
tsrstar
That's awesome. I was worried i'd look like a fool wearing them at this age, because most people get braces when their 14/15 years old.

Mum said she'll help out with the cost, and i'd get a job and pay her back because i don't want to wait untill i've saved up enough, as i want them asap. I don't mind having them whilst im at uni, but i don't want to have to get them once i've finished uni.

I've always hated my teeth, i hate taking pictures, and smiling, im sure once i've had braces it will boost my confidence, and i won't hate myself.

I remember when I hated mine ad refused to take pictures but my friends kept shoving the camera in my face :rolleyes:

Are you getting them because you have gaps in your teeth or there just crooked.
Reply 15
Indieboohoo
I remember when I hated mine ad refused to take pictures but my friends kept shoving the camera in my face :rolleyes:

Are you getting them because you have gaps in your teeth or there just crooked.

I don't have gaps. The bottom set of my teeth are not to bad, one tooth sticks out a bit more than the rest. Other than that they are ok, they wouldnt need to much work to them.

The top set point outwards at a slight angle, and make the shape of my mouth look weird. Tbh, they were alot worse, and as i had braces before, they did get alot better, its just the small things which are bothering me. I hate smiling because of this, and hate taking pictures. I didnt think i'd be able to get them fixed, so i began accepting the fact that i wont have perfect teeth, but now i think 'to hell with accepting it, i'll fork out whatever it costs'. Hopefully it wont cost a ridiculous amount, and i'll start gaining my confidence back. :smile::

Phew! Even the thought that i'll finally get my teeth sorted out is making me smile. The future looks bright. :biggrin:
Reply 16
braces make you look about 14/15 as well
i got my braces off (train tracks) in january and alot more older people have them then you would think, but i had mine on the NHS so i am not sure what they cost, but the pain you go through for them if worth it in the end, (aching when they are tightened and stuff like that) when you get them off you will have to wear a retainer again for a little while, so don't forget to wear that.
i think they'd look fine, i know people parents 40+ who have had them i went private for mine and cost about 2 and a half grand but fully worth it, ive had them off for over a year and a half and still wear my retainer nearly every night :biggrin:
Reply 19
To be fair, no matter how embarassing it is wearing them, it would be for 2 years max (at least I assume so?) and from what you've said in the OP, that's more than a worthwhile trade-off to be happy with your teeth for the rest of your life! :smile:

As for the invisible braces, I thought they could only be used after the teeth had reached a certain stage of correction? When I had braces, I originally asked for invisible braces and they dentist said, "Nooo you can't have them for another year and a half I'm afraid". I was gutted :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending