The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah my friend and I are thinking of the Live Music Society too! Though if they had one jsut for jazz I'd love that too. Having done karate, I'm thinking of Jeet Kun Do too, but I doubt they have that.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
What kind of standard are the sports societies at? I was thinking of maybe joining but worried I'm not good enough...
Reply 3
tomcoolinguk
What kind of standard are the sports societies at? I was thinking of maybe joining but worried I'm not good enough...

Don't worry they have different teams for different abilities.
Reply 4
Would the fencing club be any fun? I dunno too much about it, i think you have to poke someones eye out with a pole or something lol. I may give it a go!

I'll be joining:
Football
Tennis
Snooker/Pool
Urban music - even though i really hate RnB!
Poker
Sikh society
Reply 5
Being an avid fencer I'll do my bit and plug the UCL Club:

First and foremost - they have an excellent coach. He is a friend of mine (a coach at my London club actually) and he's a really nice, tall, Russian guy.

Fencing is great, not only for the high level of fitness attained, but also for its social attributes. If you become a reasonable fencer and start doing competitions you'll find yourself submerged in a 'small' (~800) circle of people, all of whom are great people and from varied backgrounds.

It's also a sport for all abilities, ambitions and ages (5 years old to ~80 I think!). It's also a great outlet for violence, re: sabre!
Reply 6
Sounds good, i think i'll join as there is no boxing club! So i need to take my anger out somewhere lol :smile:
Reply 7
lol nas ure lists is nearlly as long as mine :-P
mes thinking of joing the dance soc
indian soc as well as the sikh
maybe the fashion soc (modo) bt i dnt do fashion either lol
n pi magazine one (does it matter that i'm not studying it?)
its good we get to try em out for a bit tho, that way we no if its our ting or not
Reply 8
Anyone thinking of the photography club? I'm just scared it'll get really technical.
Reply 9
i dunno i was thinking of that one to cos i like taking pictures- but your right it might get technical, wont know till ya sign up tho!
Having received the literature yesterday, I shall be visiting the following stalls:
Football 5-aside
Bongos soc
Cheese Grater Mag soc
Human Pyramids Around London soc
Live Music Soc
Amnesty soc
Debating soc
European soc
Volunteering soc

I am prepared to join all 9 socs, but im hoping some of them will disappoint :p:

:eek:
Reply 11
What's the difference between 5-a side football and mens one :confused: . Some of these societies cost a bit, i thought they were all for free :p:
Howdo you know their costs?
I might eliminate the 4 most expensive ones from the above :p:

5 a side is 5 people on a team, plain football is 11 people on a team!
I've already joined the Law Society, but I'm also probs going to join:

-Debating Society
-Volunteering Society
-Cheese Grater Magazine Society and/or Pi Magazine Society (depends which has the better vibe; some of the Pi Magazine web pieces make me cringe)
-Ski and Snowsports Society [I urge everyone to go on a cheap uni ski trip!]
possibly the X Country Society (I'm not especially good, but would like to get more into it as its such a fun way of keeping fit)
-Investment Society

I'll probs try a few others as well- but main thing is to ensure we all have fun :smile:
Reply 14
Phonicsdude
Howdo you know their costs?
I might eliminate the 4 most expensive ones from the above :p:

5 a side is 5 people on a team, plain football is 11 people on a team!

Ah, i knew that lol :redface: . I think 5 a side is a mess about whereas the proper footy is in some league or something :cool:
I'd love to learn to fence! :smile: I may join the soc... depends if I have enough time cos I also want to do football, table tennis and use the gym/squash courts.
5-a-side football is just as legitimate a sport. In fact I'm gonna do that too :smile: It's very different to 11-a-side.

At college we played 4-a-side. That is one knackering game.
Reply 17
alcoholics anonymous
I'm thinking of joining the football, table tennis and snooker ones for sports and then maybe one of the magazines, and a few political ones like the debating society, anti-war etc. I'll see how much they cost first!
Reply 19
PluggedInBaby
First and foremost - they have an excellent coach. He is a friend of mine (a coach at my London club actually) and he's a really nice, tall, Russian guy.

... you've persuaded me! :wink:

These are the ones that I like the look of, but I'll probably cut one or two out:

SPORTS
- Boat (women)
- Football 5-a-side
- Some sort of martial art
- Mountaineering

GENERAL
- People & Planet

MEDIA
- Cheese Grater mag / Pi mag

Latest

Trending

Trending