The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for your honest opinion guys but,I still don't get how or why i could be doing this badly in maths seeing as my Coursework was graded at a B*,but then again every single maths teacher I've had through the years has said that every now and then my grades go through a bit of a dry spell.
BTW,Imedia is the Application of ICT in Media
Reply 381
+ thank mango, really helpful!
contact your college, they should be able to tell you how
Reply 383
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq4pg7STCJ8

somthing to cheer you guys up:biggrin:
jennaz77
SNAPPP (Y)

what subjects did you take? :frown:
what do you want to do at uni?
Reply 385
Sorry, this is another thread about advice on results!
Basically, I've been planning in doing Law forever, and I was predicted AAAB in my exams, and thought I'd probably got at least AABB, but it turned out i got BBBB. One of them I've dropped (Geology), another I was 2 UMS off an A (Economics), and History and Biology are quite far off As. So now I really don't know what to do! Should I try extra hard to bring these upto As in my A2s? Or retake? Or apply for Politics instead, which has lower grades? Help!
dw, at AS my grades were like BBCDD -_-'
Reply 387
I remember that show!
RevisingHard
I want to get a re-mark: How do I go about this?

Also, what is the grade boundary for A level English Languge AQA? I got 348/400 and got an A. What did I need for an A*?

Thanks

Isn't it just 90% of 400; so 360? (So 12 UMS off).
farah827
I got economics(A), thinking skills(B), chemistry(C), physics(C) and maths (D). I want to study politics and economics or ppe.
+ UCAS applications go out on october so will the unis see these grades - how will they know about resits?

Well you got an A in economics so that's the main thing I'd apply for economics with that strong grade. The I'd drop maths and re-sit physics and Chemistry in January. Tell your physics and Chemistry teachers you're planning on re-sitting and beg for predicted As or Bs. On the Oxford acceptance thread I'm sure I've seen at least one person with ABCC at AS.
Hi... did a bit crap in my AS levels. Got BCCD in fact. Disappointed. Anyway, I had 3 marks off an A in English WJEC, 157/200 (A=160). Worth getting remarked? The other one I want to get remarked is History WJEC. I got an A in the Nazi paper but a D in the English/Welsh paper, so overall a C. However, out of 200 I had 138, 2 marks off a B at 140. This is probably worth getting remarked as well although I want to resit the whole English-Welsh/British paper because if I do well in that, coupled with my A grading in the Nazi paper = ... a good score. Is it possible to remark both papers, then resit one?

Another dilemma I'm facing is that I've obviously enrolled into the 3 subjects I wish to carry on with at A2. However, the third subject was Politics and I disappointingly only got a D in it. The subject I've chosen to drop, Philosophy, was something I got a C in. The dilemma stems from the fact I don't want to do Philosophy at A2 level now. I still like Politics of course but I'm wondering whether a D grade overall is just too **** to carry it on with...

Any advice would be helpful. I'm planning on going to see my teachers about it tomorrow but your advice would be gratefully received.
Reply 391
3 marks off, I would get it remarked, good luck :smile:
It is possible to get both papers remarked then resit one but as you're resitting one anyways is it worth it? If your school is willing to pay I suppose let them but if you're paying personally I wouldn't.

Do you enjoy philosophy in that you could stand to carry on with it for another year? If not just work on your exam technique/revision in politics and talk to your teachers about it, as you enjoy it i'm sure you could pull it up a bit :smile:
I got bad AS results, that I can amend.
Biology(D): BEC
Maths(D): ECC
Chemistry(D): DDE
Physics(U?): CUE

I'm not bothered about physics, I'd accepted I was going to fail that.
I was looking to do Biology. My plan was to apply for Durham, Nottingham, Warwick, Sheffield and Imperial(just for the hell of it, could get a rowing scholarship). which are all, except Imperial, ABB to BBB.

If I retake the E in all Maths, Bio and Chem and the middle D in Chem. I think I can get my grades for AS up to BBC maybe better, then with lots of work in Y13 my target of ABB. I know I can get an A in that biology unit I got 2 marks off 100% in some one of the mocks.

But If I apply this year, they'll turn me down straight away as DDD is not anything close to ABB. As I'd be retaking January it'd be March before I found out. So what I'm really asking is, is it worth applying this year? If I got an interview I might have a chance at a place, but that I think this year would be my only chance.
Awww :console:
Try re-sitting them next year in Jan. :smile:
Boo_x
3 marks off, I would get it remarked, good luck :smile:
It is possible to get both papers remarked then resit one but as you're resitting one anyways is it worth it? If your school is willing to pay I suppose let them but if you're paying personally I wouldn't.

Do you enjoy philosophy in that you could stand to carry on with it for another year? If not just work on your exam technique/revision in politics and talk to your teachers about it, as you enjoy it i'm sure you could pull it up a bit :smile:

Thanks! Yeah now you say that (regarding my history resit), I know what you mean. If I resit it and get say, a high B coupled with my Nazi grade, perhaps I can get it remarked then instead. Rather than waste a few quid now. Cheers for that.

I don't think I can stand Philosophy anymore to be honest. I grew out of idly sitting there not paying attention because it just seemed a worthless, overly-idealistic subject. I think I agree with Wittgenstein who basically argued that you, like, shouldn't do Philosophy. Philosophy's about getting out there and experiencing the world first-hand. It doesn't make much sense to speak of the world from inside a nice cosy classroom when you're at an age where you haven't yet experienced life to its utmost potential. Oh, and the small issue of doing rather sh*te in my mock exams too (that played a part :wink: )

I'll have to talk to my Politics lecturer about ways to improve, ways that I can possibly resit the exams.

Either way, thanks! x
got my As :frown: AABCD and D in critical thinking if that counts lol. Im well upset :s-smilie:
erm I Got a B in Re, its getting remarked so hopefully it will go higher. I'm going to resit one of the Law papers and resitting LIT even though I've dropped it . My teacher thinks I should resit Critical Thinking in Jan because she thinks that seen as I got an A in first exam I could have done better in June but is there any point in resitting CT if unis don't look at it ?
I was hoping to study Law at Leeds :frown:
Reply 396
hey so my as grades are:
maths D
history D
bio U
chem U
general D
islamic studies D

my grammar school won't accept me because of the two us, so now i have to look for a college and restart the year.. but i really want to go to university and i will work hard this year, but does going to a college lower my chances? and i would also be resitting yr 12 from scratch changing my options to maths, history, r.s and sociology, but would good universitys like the uni of nottingham for example, think i should not be accepted because i resat a whole year, showing that i flunked my first year due to less dedication???????????
really stressed
Reply 397
Paparazzi
How do you send off for a photocopy as I think I might have to do that?

I went to my college exams office and they gave me a form to fill out. Had to shell out £11.50 for it though. AQA is the most expensive exam board for copies :mad:
UEDC yes I mucked up big time. But tbh I do have reasons I'd rather not go into.

I'm thinking, if i just resit then all that waay too many exams and on top of that, I'd have jan exams as well so there's no point I'm me risking failing all my exams.
So do you think its best if i retake the year?

Will uni's look down on me if they see if have retaken the year...but gotten say all A's the second time round?
UEDC yes I mucked up big time. But tbh I do have reasons I'd rather not go into.

I'm thinking, if i just resit then all that waay too many exams and on top of that, I'd have jan exams as well so there's no point I'm me risking failing all my exams.
So do you think its best if i retake the year?

Will uni's look down on me if they see if have retaken the year...but gotten say all A's the second time round?

Latest